Apple CEO Tim Cook Trash Talks Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
For the end user, fragmentation actually doesn't come up as a problem very often. Most apps are quickly updated for all but the most ancient Android versions. What is a problem though is being able to update the OS yourself when a new version comes out. Most carriers/phones don't allow that. Still, likening running a slightly older version of Android to running iOS 3 is a bit of an exaggeration. Even older Android versions are still very functional for nearly all smartphone needs.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
As per usual, when someone or a company doesn't have anything positive to report about itself or its own products, it resorts to trying to tear down someone else. Same with Microsoft lately.

When was the last time you heard Larry Page say something negative about the products of a competitor?

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I find it funny that the old coot can still talk with a straight face considering all of their so called "innovation" here lately has just one gimmick after another, Gimmicks that were already available on the android platform. He bashes a bulk of android devices because they are made of plastic then has the audacity to claim he has perfected plastic like it hasn't been available since the 50's thanks to DuPont. But the worst part is that he still wants to claim that the Android operating system is the knockoff when development was started in 2003 (not by Google but what isn't started by a small party and bought by a bigger one these days) and nearly if not all modern features of the smartphone made since Android's debut have made their own debut on the Android platform. Keep trying to keep that sinking ship above water Cook, just know that consumers are not as dumb as you would hope and they are starting to wake up and take a look at the options around them.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
nearly 55 percent of all mobile traffic to iOS, while Android only made up 28 percent

I don't think Tim knows what's being measure or why an iOS device will almost always a lot more data traffic than an Android device.

If I didn't know any better I would think that Tim Cook works for the GOP the way he blinds himself by skewing numbers :)

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I think he made a Bing joke back in 2009, other then that though never. I guess the guys at Google are far to busy doing real innovative work to worry about it.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Don't be surprised. Apple, like Microsoft has become a largely "market reactive" company. What this means is that they wait to see what new ideas are successful and then adjust their product line accordingly. This translates into a device cycle that is typically about 6 months behind the competition. Apple in the past directed this cycle, but now it's actually one of the slower companies to react. Companies that fall into this trend typically lose market share. Apple's brand image is propping them up, but that can only last so long. This is exactly what happened with Nokia so it's funny that Tim mentioned that.

Samsung used to be this way when they copied some of Apple's work early on. Now they (along with Google and others) are the innovators. The Galaxy note is a good example of this. Samsung makes a product and creates a market for it (in this case the phablet market) and everyone else copies. Now there are rumors of Apple doing the same.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Who hasn't made a bing joke? LOL

"If one were to look at numbers, however, NetMarketShare attributes nearly 55 percent of all mobile traffic to iOS, while Android only made up 28 percent."
Does that mobile traffic include net traffic or are the stats only for America? Because if it does then a lot of people living in developing countries that owns an Android phone(Android phones are cheaper than iPhones in developing countries) wont contribute to this traffic stat because they have poor internet.

"We really want to enrich people’s lives"
Enrich the rich(and dumb). Good luck.

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

It reminds me of the old internet explorer joke.
Internet explorer, its hands down the best browser for downloading chrome or firefox.

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Sorry, but the headline is unprofessional...and I'm an Android phone user, so I don't have a dog in the Apple fanboy fight. The headline simply misrepresents the content.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
He says this while Apple is ripping off feature after feature from Android. We swipe up while android swipes down..... it's totally different. What a douche. He may be getting his numbers from iTunes. My android device uses xbox music and playstore. Once again.... Douche. If Apple keeps up this pace, they will have single digit market share soon. Even Blackberry realized that the world want's a 5 inch super Amoled screen. The new Blackberry is what the new iphone should have been.

tbake

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Yeah, lets try to blow off the fact that 4 out of 5 smart phones sold are android. It doesn't matter where the money is going, only that 6 year olds are using dads 3g to play angry birds.

ipaul

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
I will share. I am a beloved patriot I don't dispute that. I have multiple Apple devices as well as multiple android devices. There is more to this than one might think. And you have to have used a lot of devices to understand the full scope of such a problem.

I always run my Apple Devices with the latest OS. I am first in like for the new OS upgrades checking the day its available all day until I am able to start the download. there have been times that applications no longer work on the new OS but this is consistent across all devices and is always a developer that is not updating his application.

then I turn to my Android world. I agree there are some interesting options for applications that are just not available from the iTunes store. Things that make my phone\tablet mine. Themes and utilities that apple is just not interested in providing. (There is some merit also to not allowing this sort of application. It removes the differences ensuring that use of the device is always consistent)

Back to the Android world. have a device running version x of the os. Discovered that there was a good deal on anther device that was running version x.2.2 of the OS and had to have it. When I went to install my investment of android apps on this new device I discovered that not all the apps were compatible with my new device. At first I figured I was looking at another situation where a developer was not updating his apps for me.

I was wrong that was not the cause. Because there were different archatectures making up the device it was actually a hardware incompatibility. My new device regardless of OS was not about to support this specific set of applications.

Now I don't care. I still like the new device better and I was able to find alternate applications to achieve the same that the apps that did not work.

But my story is at the heart of this problem. Its not that apple is better. It is not that Samsung is not a good hardware manufacturer. Its not that Google Android is not a great OS. It is this. Because Apple has control over both the hardware and the OS they are able to always deliver a more consistent integration between the 2.

Yes we do see phones come out that support Androids raw OS in the form of Nexus. But these are only a small sliver of the actual market share. Suggesting then that Google, Samsung and Developers have a lot more to have to consider to ensure a smooth user experience and unlike Apple the Hardware Manufacturers, the OS Manufacturers and the Application Developers do not have a direct line to each other. and even if they did their decisions have to consider the reset of the Android population.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Toms Hardware has become a feeding ground for Apple hating trolls. Typically only positive Android articles while Tom puts out troll feeding headlines like Trash Talking Android only makes it more obvious. I am glad I do not rely on Tom for unbiased articles.

Android, iOS... They look like the same darn thing. There are little boxes on the screen to open apps, you can only see one at a time and with the exception of a few apps, they offer the same apps. To put one down is to put both down. To me there's no difference between the two except you're not bound to iTunes with Android.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
All that iOS traffic is from Apple users searching for a new Android device while doing a bunch of research to make sure they don't get ripped off again.

Or it could be excessive re-searches due to the ever lovable Apple spelling corrector.

But on a serious note, the market is flooded with a ton of questionable Andriod hardware. I love my S4 and my cheap Memo tablet, but my niece got a cheap tablet for Christmas and it drives me crazy trying to use that thing. Android, like Windows, is not controlled by a single hardware entity like Apple products are, thus the product quality varies from manufacturers. I still wont buy anything Apple as I don't like the company as a whole and I know how to research for quality products before I buy. But for those people that go after the cheapest deal they can get, well, you get what you pay for.

G

Welp there's always that company curse that the CEO always trashes a company and later ends up in a pile of mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.