Apple CEO Tim Cook Visits Foxconn, Conditions to Improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Such changes will inevitably drive up the costs to produce products at the Foxconn factory, though the full impact may not be directly passed on to the consumer as companies such as Apple and HP may absorb some of those increased costs.

RIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I think it would be an amazing thing if the greedy people started being responsible for the people that make them their money. In the long run, I think people would be happier to buy products from companies that they know are a benefit to their planet and community.

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
How about bringing them jobs back to America. Do that and I'll consider buying something from you. I can't stand the fact everything has to be made in China.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Plasmid[/nom]How about bringing them jobs back to America. Do that and I'll consider buying something from you. I can't stand the fact everything has to be made in China.[/citation]

How much extra are you willing to pay for 'Made in USA' ?

100%...200%... ?

It's easy to talk tough as long as you do not have to back it up with your own wallet !!

i dont know much about foxconn, but what is apple's relationship to them? i mean are they from the same group of companies?
because if not, then why would foxconn need apple here, can't they do it themselves?

Apple and Foxconn have agreed to "clamp down on illegal overtime.."
isn't it that Foxconn is responsible for these illegal overtime?

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]How much extra are you willing to pay for 'Made in USA' ?100%...200%... ?It's easy to talk tough as long as you do not have to back it up with your own wallet !![/citation]
Exactly.

There is a reason why it is made overseas. Cheaper labor = cheaper production cost = cheaper product = more customers.

The cost of an iPad if built in the US would be around $620, cost in China is around $260. Most electronics these days have anywhere from a 35%-50% profit margin, with 40% being about average. I believe the profit margin currently on the iPad 3 is 50%, but assuming Apple moves to a more average 40%, the "Made in the USA" sticker would drive the cost of an iPad up to $870.

Would you buy an $870 iPad? I wouldn't.

Anyway, Apple isn't the only one. The Kinect addon to the XBox 360 costs Microsoft $60 to make in China, yet they sell it for $130. If Microsoft keeps the same profit margins, it would cost the customer $310 to buy it if it was made in the US. Yeah.... no.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Exactly.There is a reason why it is made overseas. Cheaper labor = cheaper production cost = cheaper product = more customers.The cost of an iPad if built in the US would be around $620, cost in China is around $260. Most electronics these days have anywhere from a 35%-50% profit margin, with 40% being about average. I believe the profit margin currently on the iPad 3 is 50%, but assuming Apple moves to a more average 40%, the "Made in the USA" sticker would drive the cost of an iPad up to $870.Would you buy an $870 iPad? I wouldn't.Anyway, Apple isn't the only one. The Kinect addon to the XBox 360 costs Microsoft $60 to make in China, yet they sell it for $130. If Microsoft keeps the same profit margins, it would cost the customer $310 to buy it if it was made in the US. Yeah.... no.[/citation]

Not quite, I wouldn't count it as a total loss in revenue. It's like BMW and Mercedes, they're expensive cars but I don't see them complain about that fact they might be going broke. Apple as a brand has always been expensive and emphasized on "quality" products. If they were to spend some of that 80$ billion on a fab or 2 in the USA that only assembles devices, you wouldn't see a huge price hike .. and even when the price goes up, apple fan boys will still buy and also ppl that value "Made in America" will do that also.
And .. at the end of the day, it's a great publicity stunt, giving Americans 1500 jobs or so and paying a decent salary will get you more in the long run as a company, then a smaller annual revenue.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]I think it would be an amazing thing if the greedy people started being responsible for the people that make them their money. In the long run, I think people would be happier to buy products from companies that they know are a benefit to their planet and community.[/citation]

Not really. People value what benefits them and their family. If I ever wanted to buy an iPad, for whatever awful reason, I want the cheapest iPad possible, so that I have more money for food and clothes and other things to improve the quality of life for me and my family. Not to mention, that all the feel good hippies who care about the planet, don't seem to care about the people who would be eating dirt for dinner every night if that company wasn't there in China making our inexpensive products.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
According to a report on NPR, crApple and foxCON have been promising improvement in working conditions for six years, and have basically done nothing to actually improve worker conditions during those six years.

From that record, it only stands to reason this is another empty promise from both crApple and foxCON.

$100 B US in the bank for crApple is not enough.

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]How much extra are you willing to pay for 'Made in USA' ?100%...200%... ?It's easy to talk tough as long as you do not have to back it up with your own wallet !![/citation]

People that say this really haven't thought through the situation. Why does everyone just accept that the cosumers should eat the cost? Why can't the most profitable company in the world eat the cost instead?

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]booseek[/nom]People that say this really haven't thought through the situation. Why does everyone just accept that the cosumers should eat the cost? Why can't the most profitable company in the world eat the cost instead?[/citation]
Why don't people who say the company should eat the cost start their own company and eat the cost.

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]If you are out of work, etc., and you will be if everything is "Made in China", you won't be able to afford buying anything even if it is 500% cheaper.[/citation]I dunno about you, but my life plan doesn't involve me sitting on an assembly line putting together an iPad. If that's the path you want to take, maybe you should move to where the jobs are--China. The fact is, if your goal is a low-skill and uncommon job, then you have to accept that you may have trouble finding work. Alternatively, you'll have to develop skills that people in America want. That said, I thought I had those "skills", but I had to move to Guam (USA) to get a job.
[citation][nom]Plasmid[/nom]How about bringing them jobs back to America. Do that and I'll consider buying something from you. I can't stand the fact everything has to be made in China.[/citation]Production jobs won't come back to the U.S. until robotic plants become economically feasible--and I don't think there will be production tech positions numbering in the hundreds of thousands.

Wages are just TOO HIGH in the U.S. to make a human assembly workforce remotely feasible.

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]If you are out of work, etc., and you will be if everything is "Made in China", you won't be able to afford buying anything even if it is 500% cheaper.[/citation]I dunno about you, but my life plan doesn't involve me sitting on an assembly line putting together an iPad. If that's the path you want to take, maybe you should move to where the jobs are--China. The fact is, if your goal is a low-skill and uncommon job, then you have to accept that you may have trouble finding work. Alternatively, you'll have to develop skills that people in America want. That said, I thought I had those "skills", but I had to move to Guam (USA) to get a job.
[citation][nom]Plasmid[/nom]How about bringing them jobs back to America. Do that and I'll consider buying something from you. I can't stand the fact everything has to be made in China.[/citation]Production jobs won't come back to the U.S. until robotic plants become economically feasible--and I don't think there will be production tech positions numbering in the hundreds of thousands.

Wages are just TOO HIGH in the U.S. to make a human assembly workforce remotely feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS