Apple cinema display on a pc?

Milkman

Distinguished
May 6, 2002
Hey, has anyone tried to run one of the (beautiful) apple cinema displays on a pc. I wanna know if it is technically possible, because I am strongly considering it. But the accompanying mac is way outta my price range. Thanks for any input.

OLDSKOOL

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
I Take it ur talking bout the display that comes with the funky lookng mac....

Well seeing as its not that new (Unless theyve changed the TFT to a newer model) I would say that they cant be as good as the new breed of PC tft's that r out at the mo...

Some will probably reply to this and prove me wrong but just my option.

AJBob

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
No you can't The Video in is a different (and as far as i have read unique) format, ith an included power suply, so there is no way to connect it to a PC, without an adapter, and i haven't ever heard of them.
Plus the reveiws of the apple displays rate them at about 50ms response time, ie poo.
Having said that they do look far too cool

Note: review of the 15" LCD
http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20020322/lcd-01.html

Water cooling for increased performance
Vodka cooling for increased enjoyment

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
First, there is no different in video format between Dvi and ADC
Apple ADC interface "is" dvi with extra connection for power and usb!

To Flame, you have no idea what you are talking about at all! ADC to Dvi adapter just split the cable from one into 2 set of connector, dvi signal and power! and Digital being Digital, it won't get "better" or "worst"!

Apple lcd monitor is and have always been rated very high in all test site/magazine! from their older 23in wide screen, to their new 23 in and 22in widescreen! their only problem is their high price!

response is not everything, go to a store and look at a Apple widescreen monitor and come back and tell us how "bad" it look!

mothballd

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
yup hehe ;) and no, its a display thats sold seperately or bundled with the apple G4/G5's. I have a 17" Cinema Display and it has a refresh rate of up to 200ms, so I really don't know where that 50ms crap came from. maybe thats the slow setting- I haven't checked. I love the Cenema displays, great quality.

mothballd

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
lol, I think I got my head on backwards. I mean't 200hz but that doesn't even apply to this thread really. Doh hehe. Think I'll just stick to those subjects I'm absolutely sure of from now on... ;)