Apple Confirms Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
2014 WWDC : Apple release notes for OS LoLCats, the iBorg purchase details from author Gene Roddenberry were leaked to the press today. Fianlly the truth comes out. Resistance is futile, join the iCollective or perish!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
iYawned, hehe good one.

Being one of the very few long-time Mac OS X users on this site (Hackintosh systems at home, Mac Pros at work), I feel like Lion is going the wrong direction. They seem to want to merge iOS and Mac OS X slowly together in hopes they will one day be the same operating system.

Which, if you ask me, is like playing with fire. Could be good in some areas but horrible in others. Just because tons of people are buying your iOS products doesn't mean the long-time Mac users like me want a stupidified operating system. Its like replacing Windows 7 with the Windows Phone OS, just stupid.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Cougar? Isn't there already an Intel chipset named Cougar Point? Lawsuit from Apple incoming! :D

"Next generation software"... I have a few Mac fanboy friends, and even they aren't happy with the direction where OS X is going (merging with iOS, as it's been said above).

iDespise

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]iYawned, hehe good one.Being one of the very few long-time Mac OS X users on this site (Hackintosh systems at home, Mac Pros at work), I feel like Lion is going the wrong direction. They seem to want to merge iOS and Mac OS X slowly together in hopes they will one day be the same operating system.Which, if you ask me, is like playing with fire. Could be good in some areas but horrible in others. Just because tons of people are buying your iOS products doesn't mean the long-time Mac users like me want a stupidified operating system. Its like replacing Windows 7 with the Windows Phone OS, just stupid.[/citation]

When a huge part of Apple's revenue comes from the 30% slice they get from every app sale on iOS, you can bet your ass they are looking for more ways to move that model to the desktop where they can grab more money from software developers. Steve Jobs has wet dreams about getting a nickel for every time one of his one-buttoned mouses is double-clicked, and it's getting closer to reality by the day.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]When a huge part of Apple's revenue comes from the 30% slice they get from every app sale on iOS, you can bet your ass they are looking for more ways to move that model to the desktop where they can grab more money from software developers. Steve Jobs has wet dreams about getting a nickel for every time one of his one-buttoned mouses is double-clicked, and it's getting closer to reality by the day.[/citation]
Well yeah, and thats the idea behind the App Store they currently have on Snow Leopard (and 10.5 too?). But there is a fine line between adding somewhat-useful iOS-like features to Mac OS X that happens to make Apple money, and adding so many features from iOS that you end up making the OS worthless.

Not against Apple making money, because it is a business and thats what businesses do. Just do it in a way that doesn't kill your software for the long-time users. Ya know... those select few that were using your products prior to the release of the iPod.

And FYI Apple's mice have been multi-button mice for ~7 years now.

G

Tomshardware why do even post apple related topics anyways ...This site is full of closed minded..windows @@@@ riders...just saying...REAL TALK...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]iYawned, hehe good one.Being one of the very few long-time Mac OS X users on this site (Hackintosh systems at home, Mac Pros at work), I feel like Lion is going the wrong direction. They seem to want to merge iOS and Mac OS X slowly together in hopes they will one day be the same operating system.Which, if you ask me, is like playing with fire. Could be good in some areas but horrible in others. Just because tons of people are buying your iOS products doesn't mean the long-time Mac users like me want a stupidified operating system. Its like replacing Windows 7 with the Windows Phone OS, just stupid.[/citation]

I think the problem is that current desktop operating systems have kind of reached a peak and devs are struggling to improve them much further. That's why they keep adding gimmicks. It's all fine as long as they just add stuff and don't remove anything.
(btw: I actually like the new GUI features that they've shown so far. Call me an interface whore, but if Apple gets one thing right, it's interfaces.)

I think the best thing about Lion is that they are going to include all the Mac OS X Server features in Lion and stop selling OS X Server as a separate product.
Now all I want is Apple to stop being stubborn and add a "cut file" shortcut to the Finder. *shakefist*

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Would be nice to run MacOS on any intel computer. If they did that, im sure the OS would take off somewhat... hell, I would buy it.[/citation]

If you're technically competent, you can pretty much do that right now. Apple doesn't support it, but it isn't that hard to do (my Hackintosh is vanilla and runs just fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.