Apple Continues Lead in PC Customer Satisfaction Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I sell 1,000 pcs.
I get 100% satisfaction.

It's fair against someone who sell 300,000 units an just have 90% satisfaction?

I think you can't compare apples with oranges.
And don't forget also, apples come rotten faster than oranges.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
maybe they can post results of self builders and their satisfaction with their machine.

Dell , Hp etc sell junk. Branded fancy CPU surrounded by dire components, cheap slow ram, cheap slow hard disks, 'Gamer' graphics meaning an ATI 6470.

It's no wonder people are not satisfied.

With regard to apple, they are probably delighted that the sandbox world they exist in, work's like it should.

silentbobdc

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
There's also the reports of having to sign an NDA to get a faulty product replaced (we all remember the exploding iPhone reports a while back). I wonder how much worse their reputation would be if it wasn't so vigorously protected by a rabid legal team.

jakall

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]Dell , Hp etc sell junk. Branded fancy CPU surrounded by dire components, cheap slow ram, cheap slow hard disks, 'Gamer' graphics meaning an ATI 6470.It's no wonder people are not satisfied.With regard to apple, they are probably delighted that the sandbox world they exist in, work's like it should.[/citation]
They don`t sell junk, they are filling a gap in the market. Not everyone wants a shiny machine to show it at the local restaurant. Don`t like it, don`t buy it.
Junk is something with inferior components and double the price, just because it has a fruity logo on the back. (Just picture the Dell XPS 15Z vs MacBook pro 15)
Apple sells junk, period.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
It really is hard to compare apple to the others. Apple sells a very defined platform that has the hardware and software limited to set components. Once you start to add options on what hardware and software you can us you increase the likely hood for incompatibilitiy. Apple stoped this by limiting what is available. Therefore, if you are happy with the limitations apple sets, you will be quite satisfied. However, if you want flexibility, you go with something else and risk having to deal with incompatibility and other issue that you, not the vendor, likely created. Thus you are less satisfied.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Two things at work here:
1. While Apple does a good job with CS, their customer base is small compared to the total of all the other PC companies their measured against, AND Apple customers are known for being fiercely loyal. Translates into a high concentration of positive reviews.

2. Apple is the only Mac vendor. They have the luxury of having most, if not all, parts made to their own specs. Some parts may be made better (since a Mac is so ******* expensive), and they know everything will work well together because of their closed "system". A lot of computer problems are caused by operating system/software/driver problems. Apple controls the integration, translating into fewer problems.

On the other hand, PCs have multiple vendors, with some doing a good job, some not, which tends to taint the whole PC platform perception. More importantly, if a particular vendor, say Dell, decides they want to really do something about reliability, they can only control customer service/tech support people. While they can tell actual manufactures of the internal parts the specs they want, because they're only assemblers of mass-produced parts, they can't totally control reliability or how they work together. And while they can suggest things to MS, the OS experience is pretty much out of their control too.

In the sales industry, such as car sales and in home sales, it's a known truth that your best referrals comes from those that spend the most money. If someone buys a car and gets a terrible deal on that car, they are likely going to be your best client for referrals. I've thought it's because they are trying to convince themselves that they paid extra for a reason.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]maybe they can post results of self builders and their satisfaction with their machine.[/citation]

My guess is that no self builder is ever quite satisfied with his machine. I certainly never am.

[citation][nom]jakall[/nom]They don`t sell junk, they are filling a gap in the market. Not everyone wants a shiny machine to show it at the local restaurant. Don`t like it, don`t buy it.Junk is something with inferior components and double the price, just because it has a fruity logo on the back. (Just picture the Dell XPS 15Z vs MacBook pro 15)Apple sells junk, period.[/citation]

There is more to a laptop than performance figures.

MacBooks are expensive but they are simply the sexiest laptops out there.
From large things like the CNC milled aluminium chassis to the small things like the magnetic power connector or the white power/standby LED that's virtually invisible when it's off... the attention to detail is just awesome.

My 15months old MacBook Pro looks and feels like it just came out of the factory. My old Dell Inspiron was completely shot after 15months. Paint was worn off from where your hands are while typing, the keyboard felt used, the display hinge was loose, the battery capacity was halved and in the end the graphics card fried. (common problem on that particular model)

Apple sells good laptops for high prices.
Dell sells junk for a fair price.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]maybe they can post results of self builders and their satisfaction with their machine.Dell , Hp etc sell junk. Branded fancy CPU surrounded by dire components, cheap slow ram, cheap slow hard disks, 'Gamer' graphics meaning an ATI 6470.It's no wonder people are not satisfied.With regard to apple, they are probably delighted that the sandbox world they exist in, work's like it should.[/citation]
...and just read about people being absolutely upset over "issues" that are because of stupid-user issues that they blame the companies for...

Status
Not open for further replies.