Apple Ditches Green Manufacturing Standard for Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
So many companies around the world are taking extra steps to reduce their environmental impact, not Apple. Yet, I picture so many hipsters talking how much they care about the planet holding their iPhones they so dearly treasure.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The explanation is really quite simple. Apples products are all about sleek design; love 'em or hate em, the outward appearance of their products has always been a hallmark. In order to achieve the cutting edge look that they are after, and get everything to fit into the chassis and sill function, is tough enough without having to meet another standard for being all modular and "green".

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I disagree with their decision but am not surprised about it. I've ragged on Apple in the past about their clean outward appearance and lack of an environmentally friendly manufacturing and product recycling system. Plenty of their competitors are able to do it. It seems like a selfish thing for the recently "most valuable company" in the world to not bother worrying about their impact on the planet.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The explanation is really quite simple. Apples products are all about sleek design; love 'em or hate em, the outward appearance of their products has always been a hallmark. In order to achieve the cutting edge look that they are after, and get everything to fit into the chassis and sill function, is tough enough without having to meet another standard for being all modular and "green".[/citation]

They don't need non-repairability for their sleek design, look at the Ultrabooks and Sleekbooks.

They're doing it because they want a monopoly on repair services and prevent users from upgrading, thus forcing them to pay more for better laptops and replace their laptops more frequently.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
It continues to baffle me that people think Apple is such a great company. I swear it seems like some kind of large scale quasi-stockholm syndrome...

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]kutark[/nom]It continues to baffle me that people think Apple is such a great company. I swear it seems like some kind of large scale quasi-stockholm syndrome...[/citation]

I feel the same way when something is labeled "green" or "environmental". People are always tricked into believe that's good.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]kitekrazy1963[/nom]I feel the same way when something is labeled "green" or "environmental". People are always tricked into believe that's good.[/citation]Please do explain how EPEAT is a bad thing.

xa3d

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
[citation][nom]kitekrazy1963[/nom]I feel the same way when something is labeled "green" or "environmental". People are always tricked into believe that's good.[/citation]

Nice try apple fan.

Any person with a half a brain knows how much of a ripoff Apple products are.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Please do explain how EPEAT is a bad thing.[/citation]

*Puts on a CEO's hat*

It hurts our shareholders' earnings. Now shut up, I need that gold-plated yacht and diamond studded iPhone.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I wonder which of the major laptop manufacturers will be the first to follow the 'integrated and non replaceable parts' scheme? I believe ssd's will soon join that list.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
The Wall Street Journal had a great article about this two days ago... http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/07/06/apple-removes-green-electronics-certification-from-products/

1. Tom's news is slowly falling to the wayside on being timely.

2. Gluing batteries to the case and making ultra thin screens make the Retina Macbook's not meet the EPEAT standards.
The desire to cram so much into such a little space made them sacrifice the disassembly of their laptops.

3. Apple has a recycling program where they give you money to trade in your old device so they can recycle it: http://www.apple.com/recycling/

4. I'd like to see the recycling programs of Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus, etc...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]pharoahhalfdead[/nom]I wonder which of the major laptop manufacturers will be the first to follow the 'integrated and non replaceable parts' scheme? I believe ssd's will soon join that list.[/citation]

I don't think SSDs are meant to be disassembled. It's essentially one big circuit-board with some controller and flash chips and a SATA/PCI-E connector.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I don't think SSDs are meant to be disassembled. It's essentially one big circuit-board with some controller and flash chips and a SATA/PCI-E connector.[/citation]
Everything is soldered on!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ttcboy[/nom]What u expect from company that only interested in increasing their profit margins ?[/citation]

You can say that for every publicly traded company. Shareholders always demand growth and profit. If you had your most profitable year, the next year better continue the trend and be even better or the CEO might be in trouble.

bawss

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
[citation][nom]thatguychuck[/nom]I think some schools and government agencies require that rating to be approved purchases. Nice work.[/citation]
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]The Wall Street Journal had a great article about this two days ago... http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/07/0 [...] -products/1. Tom's news is slowly falling to the wayside on being timely.2. Gluing batteries to the case and making ultra thin screens make the Retina Macbook's not meet the EPEAT standards.The desire to cram so much into such a little space made them sacrifice the disassembly of their laptops.3. Apple has a recycling program where they give you money to trade in your old device so they can recycle it: http://www.apple.com/recycling/4. I'd like to see the recycling programs of Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus, etc...[/citation]

They will give you back in only Apple gift cards.
Plus for a fully working, non damaged in anyway with the power cord supplied you get only 285 dollars in Apple money.
That's a massive rip off.

Hazbot

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Not like I ever cared about green standards, but Apple's reason for withdrawing isn't very logical, I mean I would understand if they wanted to include components with extremely high TDP or if they wanted production efficiency, but no, their reason is because they want to cram more stuff into a smaller space, once again, you can't do that, even ultrabooks have some degree of repairability! It just makes little sense to me is all I'm saying.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ttcboy[/nom]What u expect from company that only interested in increasing their profit margins ?[/citation]

It's so unbelievable. All other companies have completely different goals.... oh wait.. they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.