News Apple Doubles Price for Memory Capacity Upgrade for 13-Inch MacBook Pro

I hate how Apple is taking advantage of its customers. Their products are already way overpriced. My friend's 4800H 16Gb 1660Ti 144Hz Asus TUF laptop beats the best MacBook Pro for only 1200$.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Off topic - has anyone else noticed very high CPU usage when hitting Tom's homepage? I don't get any load with the Forums or other websites, but man, I get massive load on all cores on Tom's homepage. Makes me wonder if they have a problem; maybe even loading something it shouldn't from the homepage. Perhaps an ad compromise or something.
This really would be more appropriate in the Forum Feedback section (even though it's the main site, rather than the forum section), rather than hijacking a news item thread.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Who is seriously going to buy any Macbook Pro if Apple doesn't get with the program and put a Ryzen 4000 CPU in it? AMD is offering 8 cores for the same price as last year's 4 core models. As the other guy said, you get 144hz screens with 1660 ti's, 8 core Ryzen CPUs and even a 90WH battery option for less than Apple's cheapest.

This really would be more appropriate in the Forum Feedback section (even though it's the main site, rather than the forum section), rather than hijacking a news item thread.

True! I apologize for the hijack. I just put it out there in my haste to get a small sampling of feedback. I just noticed this myself when I noticed my fans spinning up a lot when I only had Tom's homepage loaded.

He is right though. Something is running wild on that page. My CPU hits 20%+ on it, 2% when not.

Just saw a thread on the Forum Feedback section that details a "responsive" Javascript error that is causing high CPU usage. Apparently Tom's has had this issue for several weeks & hasn't fixed it yet. Maybe it's a problem with Future's CDN. It does hit Firefox users higher than Chrome, apparently. Forums are fine, though.

At $200, the upgrade suddenly becomes a pricy ordeal, but you'd still be tempted to swing it because 8GB of LPDDR3 really hamstrings the device.
Or, you know, tempted to go with a different device from another company that isn't price-gouging it's customers so much. The difference in cost between 8 and 16GB of RAM is only around $30-$40 at retail, and even less for a manufacturer like Apple, so charging around 5 to 6 times that much for it is clearly excessive.

I guess they figure people will really be wanting that "Magic Keyboard", which is pretty much just the old keyboard, before they made it worse. : P

Reactions: daglesj

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Or, you know, tempted to go with a different device from another company that isn't price-gouging it's customers so much. The difference in cost between 8 and 16GB of RAM is only around $30-$40 at retail, and even less for a manufacturer like Apple, so charging around 5 to 6 times that much for it is clearly excessive.

I guess they figure people will really be wanting that "Magic Keyboard", which is pretty much just the old keyboard, before they made it worse. : P

Yeah cos having just one USB port is so useful and forward thinking too. But when you spent $2500 on $800 worth of laptop you have to convince yourself you did the right thing.