News Apple Drags Valve Into Epic Games Dispute Over App Store Policies

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Am I missing something? Why can't Valve tell Apple to go pound sand? If I get a tax audit, can I ask Apple to step in and volunteer a bunch of corporate information just because I think they are getting a better tax deal?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Apple has a monopoly on app distribution via iOS. Valve does not have a monopoly on app distribution via PC -- they compete with Microsoft, Amazon, EA, Ubisoft, Epic, Take Two, Activision, GOG/CDP, and so many other digital storefronts. I'm not understanding why Apple should be able to acquire such detailed market information on a totally different competitive environment.

If I were Valve, I'd be very concerned that Apple wants to get in on the PC gaming market, especially given all the rumors of a new Apple VR headset and controllers. Steve Jobs made a decision about gaming a long time ago, and Tim Cook might be looking to change direction.

If I were Valve, I'd be very concerned that Apple wants to get in on the PC gaming market, especially given all the rumors of a new Apple VR headset and controllers. Steve Jobs made a decision about gaming a long time ago, and Tim Cook might be looking to change direction.
Yep, perhaps not on Windows PCs, but I'm sure Apple would be interested in data that could potentially help them push Mac users toward buying games directly from them rather than through Steam. They would undoubtedly prefer holding a monopoly over software sales on all their platforms, not just mobile.

Reactions: bigdragon