Discussion Apple drops claim that 'Macs don't get viruses'

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Apple has removed claims from its website that Mac computers do not get viruses.

The change comes after more than half-a-million Macs were infected with the Flashback Trojan virus earlier this year.

Apple's web page titled 'Why you'll love a Mac' used to state that: "It doesn’t get PC viruses. A Mac isn't susceptible to the thousands of viruses plaguing Windows-based computers. That's thanks to built-in defences in Mac OS X that keep you safe without any work on your part. With virtually no effort on your part, OS X defends against viruses and other malicious applications, or malware."

The website has been altered and now simply says: "It's built to be safe."

"Built-in defences in OS X keep you safe from unknowingly downloading malicious software on your Mac," the website continues. "OS X is designed with powerful, advanced technologies that work hard to keep your Mac safe."

But there is no longer any reference to Macs being immune from the viruses long-suffered by PC users.

The change in the company's marketing, which was made quietly at the end of last month, was welcomed by security experts.

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones," said Graham Cluley from British security firm Sophos.

"Let's hope more Apple Mac owners are also learning to take important security steps - such as installing anti-virus protection."

Many security experts have said that both Apple and its users have underestimated the threats they face from viruses and hackers in the past.

The machines' supposed security - whether real or not - has long been a selling point for Macs. But as Apple's market penetration has increased significantly in recent years, so too have the security risks.

Anti-virus software companies reported an increase in sales for Mac security software following the outbreak of Flashback in April this year.

Apple also drew criticism for failing to release a fix for the virus until three months after it was discovered.

But the company may be taking security more seriously after the breach, with a Gatekeeper feature in the new Mac operating system Mountain Lion, which is slated for release as early as next week.

Gatekeeper creates permissions for only trusted sites and developers' apps to be downloaded and installed, though the feature can be disabled.

This latest backflip from Apple comes after the company was recently forced to drop claims in Australia and Britain that the new iPad had 4G capabilities.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/apple-drops-claim-that-macs-dont-get-viruses-20120703-21ei4.html

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Everyone one has a virus including Apple.

G

appleworm.jpg

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I don't think that Apple ever claimed to be "virus free". Mac OS viruses have been around for a while.

One highly publicized incident(s) and a change in marketing verbiage does not change anything.

I think Apple had been recommending virus scanners(did they not even say to run more then one?) for a while now.

It DID take them a while, but then again they once said PC's are not for people that want to listen to music(only for balancing the budget or something like that). Damn, what had I been doing with a PC as a music player since windows 95.

Renox-1361535

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Apple is gonna fall one day and we know it. They're lying to people and when people find out apple is not a pretty safe and fast computer people are gonna stop buying. If I could i would make viruses to make them fall faster.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Rumors spread like wild fires.

Passerbuy

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I started off with a PC,but I had difficulty with the system and a guy said why don`t you get a Mac. I said what`s that, it`s a different computer system altogether. He said will help you so I bought a Mac Mini in 2007. He was proved right it was far more user friendly than a PC. Then I upgraded to an iMac 2009 that`s when the problem`s started. In short I had to get an Advocate to help to get my money back,because it had a faulty screen. I went through 3 new iMac`s. Then I said I will buy the new Mac Mini,but that`s got a fault on it has well,and I am typing this out on my Mac Mini 2007. The guy targeted Mac`s to prove that they were just has vulnerable has a PC. I hate Apple,and the Apple cult. I could fill this page with what I know about Apple. I would go back to a PC tomorrow,but it`s the system I like about Apple period.

Passerbuy

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I couldn`t agree with you more. I have had posts removed all the time on the Apple site. I have nothing to do with them any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.