Apple Expected to Surpass Intel as Top Mobile Chipmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Apple designs their chips, Samsung manufactures.

This headline is misleading, unless they consider designing chips as a "chipmaker"

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Everyone has been dethroning Intel for 20 years. Yet. They still are the industry leader. Weird how bloggers lack any sense of reality.

G

A5 is manufactured by Samsung and uses ARM A9 architecture. Who writes this kind of articles? Or is this an Apple add? In both cases it is false - like most Apple commercials :)

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Along with the AMD competing with Ivy Bridge headline, we've gone from factuality to downright sensationalism. Oddly enough, both by the same author.

Is it 1st April yet?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]Apple designs their chips, Samsung manufactures. This headline is misleading, unless they consider designing chips as a "chipmaker"[/citation]
They don't even really design any of the individual components in their SOC's. They just compile the components from various "designers" into a single package.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]They don't even really design any of the individual components in their SOC's. They just compile the components from various "designers" into a single package.[/citation]

But that is what most of the mobile chip manufactures do, don't they? Most of mobile ships from Samsung, Apple, or Qualcomm's are all based on the A4/A9/A12 CPU and PowerVR GPUs, aren't they?..

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]They don't even really design any of the individual components in their SOC's. They just compile the components from various "designers" into a single package.[/citation]

Most mobile companies does yes, Apple however will soon claim its their own like they always do while the rest stay in the reality!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]oops.... I mean chips* not ships...>_< SOrry about the typo[/citation]

You can edit that misstype by using 'Read the comments on the forums' and edit it there

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Even though I am an owner of an IPad and an Iphone, I am getting sick and tired of everyone thinking Apple is such a great innovator. They came up with a good software for there phone and tablet. I will give them that. Everything else is no different than the rest of the industry. They have the best display because they bought out all the available advanced displays so no one else could use them in their devices.

The last thing Apple is is a chipmaker. I don't even think you could call them designers unless you count telling the chipmaker "we want it to be really fast, with really good graphics" as designing a chip. What Apple really is is a company that has one of the best marketing departments in the world. For the past 5 years they have been continually brainwashing people into believing they are the only thing out there.

I also have an ACER Iconia Android tablet which I actually like better than the Ipad and since I got the new Iphone 4S, I have been missing my HTC EVO. Come next upgrade period, I am getting an android phone and selling my Iphone (I should be able to get what I paid for it, they do keep their value)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]???http://www.appsplit.com/blog/2012/ [...] le-ipad-3/[/citation]
??? What are you trying to say? That Samsung manufactures Apple's SOC's? Okay, though I'm not sure how that's related to my previous comment.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Yes OF COURSE Apple makes more chips than Intel. Apple makes all of the Intel chips in its Macs and it makes all of the ARM chips in its mobile devices. If Apple ever uses the Atom or AMD processor in its IPAD then Apple will make those too. Its quite possible even that Apple made Intel and that Microsoft is just an illusion believed in by simply people who do not understand that Apple invented the computer and that all computers belong to Apple.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]other way around: http://www.appleinsider.com/articl [...] ology.htmlsamsung does manufacture the "retina" display though[/citation]
If you actually knew anything about integrated circuits, the article you cite emphatically makes the case that the chips are manufactured by Samsung, using Samsung's 45nm process, in Samsung's chip fabrication plant. Apple buys a license from ARM and other IP owners, integrates their technologies into a design and sends that design to Samsung for fabrication.

G

"Apple designs their chips, Samsung manufactures.

This headline is misleading, unless they consider designing chips as a "chipmaker""

Does this also mean that AMD is not a chip maker anymore now that they have given up their interest in Global Foundries and no longer manufacture any of their chips. I mean they just design them and GlobalFoundries (and possibly TSMC) manufactures the chips so by your logic even AMD is no longer a "Chipmaker." Apples name (or logo) is branded on the chip therefore they are the maker regardless of where the fabrication took place.

obsama1

Distinguished
Apples to oranges. In the desktop market, Intel is the indisputable leader. In the mobile segment, Samsung rules(Apple doesn't make their chips. Samsung creates it). You can't compare them.

This just in: Lays makes more chips than Intel.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
So then, in Summary:

1: Apple is NOT a chip "maker"
2: Intel IS a chip "Maker"
3: Apple may surpass Intel in the "Mobile" chip department
4: Apple can not possibly overtake Intel in the overall Chip market as this article implies
5: This article compares two completely different products, and that comparison is still incorrect... See point 1.

Come on, now. The author should know this better than anyone. Especially being in the industry...

Status
Not open for further replies.