Apple Files for Patent on Smart Bicycle System

Status
Not open for further replies.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
All of these "factors" already exist as products currently on the market... Using an i Phone to do the same thing is not patentable..

I agree, just buy a bicycle computer, but thats what apple does.. takes existing technology and calls it something different then tells people they have created something new and revolutionary.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]scione[/nom]... What if you ride the bicycle wrong?[/citation]

They'll tell you to go buy their training wheels. If it is a widespread issue, they may start giving them away for free, though it's very possible they could run into problems manufacturing enough training wheels for everyone who's having an issue riding the bike.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Pretty soon they will be charging people for texting and biking...that is if someone doesn't run into a tree first.

[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]They'll tell you to go buy their training wheels. If it is a widespread issue, they may start giving them away for free, though it's very possible they could run into problems manufacturing enough training wheels for everyone who's having an issue riding the bike.[/citation]

Or slap extra rubber over the exposed metal.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
The accompanying i-Padlock is also the battery charger for the system and it's all linked to your iTunes account....so...If you wish to lock your bike up you have to pay per use.

G

in apple world , you dont ride bike ; bike ride you ! but seriously , it wont let you go to "unathorized streets"

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Looks a bit too showy and not very practical. That apple is trying to create new uses for its thin product line again and again shows they can't manufacture anything new.

G

Can this technology prevent someone from getting "The Door Prize" ?

G

This is not for regular people. Maybe hardcore bikers, but those guys probably already have stuff like this.

-ibike? I know I bike.

-Now I can tell how fast I'm going, it reads : fast. Cool...

-darn it this an incline or a decline? Considering I am blind and the force of friction is undetectable by human being; we must rely on the iphone.

-lemme check my heart rate. 120. So is my heart on or off?

-hey my phone tell me the wind speed is 10 km/h. ...and why I care?

G

Knowing there are already computers that do similar things out there is cool but if this gets more people to ride then. GO FOR IT! This may allow all people like gadgets and are not currently bike crazy to become more active. Even though I don't own a single apple item I applaud apple for at least looking into something like this.

The patent is probably for the integration, and underlying database infrastructure that makes the results sharable. A team takes a [training] ride; after it their coach can go over with them all the little differences that might have made one member faster than another.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My earlier comments may have been hasty, take it several steps further jtt283... Team communication with the iPhone, biometrics and GPS positions of the entire team on a laptop used by the team director...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
That is not a very smart bicycle. It defies the basic mechanical principle bikes use for propulsion. That being you have a big gear transfering the same area to a small gear, thus the small gear turns faster. The big gear in this bike is puny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS