Apple Files Patent for On-Demand Power Generation from Wind Turbines at Any Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
They are mocking it because Apple is basically trying to patent the thermodynamics of solar power...which they neither invented or were the first to come up with.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
WTF??!?!? This should immediately be denied first thing tomorrow morning when the office opens. If it's not - then it will be even MORE clear iCrapple has paid someone off (not that we all haven't already known they have someone paid-off at the patent office)...

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Apple has nothing to do with power generators and should not be allowed to meddle in fields that they don't even have a product in. This is nothing but a lawsuit patent. FU APPLE.

Besides this is already used by homeowners that have solar/wind generators. Its called a Battery Array, it stores energy when the device is running and uses the stored energy when it isn't currently functioning.

homeowners to get sued by APPLE for owning batteries and installed wind generators 10 years ago.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I would like to patent a method for life forms to consume oxygen through nasal passages. I call it respiration. As I am not a doctor, my patent filing too also provides information only at a very high level and low detail that, if approved, will cover a wide range of animal species including the genus known as homo-sapiens. Unfortunately I haven't paid anyone off at the patent office, but I am still cautiously optimistic about my chances of success.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
The patent filing provides information on a very high level and low detail

You can't patent an "idea". That's like patenting the "idea" of something that you haven't invented. The "I thought of it first" method shouldn't be valid for something like this. Patents are designed to protect innovation, not passing thoughts.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey, it's not like they were granted the patent. You know it'll never be since it's already in use/not new.

This is Apple grasping at straws.

iniudan

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
If they accept that patent, they need to dropped in a boiler powered by wind turbine, just to teach them what they just approved.

Now if the patent was an artificial liquid compound perfected for such task, that would be different, but wtf is that crap.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]Hey, it's not like they were granted the patent. You know it'll never be since it's already in use/not new.This is Apple grasping at straws.[/citation]
This hasn't stopped apple yet from patenting things that are not new.

iPad-Star-Trek.jpg

apple patents ideas from movies, steve jobs was a sci-fi junkie that patented movie props.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-10/tk-predictions-past-steve-jobs-fulfilled
http://gizmodo.com/5454430/the-tablets-of-our-dreams

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]Apple has nothing to do with power generators and should not be allowed to meddle in fields that they don't even have a product in. This is nothing but a lawsuit patent. FU APPLE.Besides this is already used by homeowners that have solar/wind generators. Its called a Battery Array, it stores energy when the device is running and uses the stored energy when it isn't currently functioning.homeowners to get sued by APPLE for owning batteries and installed wind generators 10 years ago.[/citation]

You can't patent an idea. You need a specific method to go with it, your battery array is safe.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]afrospinach[/nom]You can't patent an idea. You need a specific method to go with it, your battery array is safe.[/citation]
And yet another case of patenting an idea.

http://www.dailytech.com/EDITORIAL+Apples+Patent+Didnt+Look+Much+Like+the+iPad++or+Samsung+Tab+101/article22685.htm

idea patented in 2004, product not until 2010.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2010/11/23/protecting-ideas-can-you-patent-an-idea/id=13495/

I just invented it 6 years before it was possible. I patented the Idea of my invention.
All rectangles with rounded edges are mine - Steve Jobs.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]No it's not. It's about storing thermal energy in a liquid, probably some kind of molten salt, then using that to boil water to drive a steam generator when there's no wind. Solar power plants already use the concept to produce power after the sun goes down. If you're going to hate on Apple at least make sense.[/citation]

Their hate comes from irrational emotion? Don't waste your time trying to use logic - Making money is now evil - having ideas and protecting them are horrible things to do - GE, Mitsubishi (they make wind turbines, and now Apple are doing this... How evil... Sigh

Sent from my Nexus 7

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]You can't patent an "idea". That's like patenting the "idea" of something that you haven't invented. The "I thought of it first" method shouldn't be valid for something like this. Patents are designed to protect innovation, not passing thoughts.[/citation]

You obviously don't understand the way patenting works... There are details when you apply for a patent that aren't included in this lame article... You can't apply for patents willy nilly (unless, of course you want them tossed out and you want to waste money)...

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]fred_111[/nom]All energy storing methods are known and they are not subject for a patent.[/citation]

LOL, obviously not or they wouldn't spend the money trying. I love how people who aren't patent attorney's are trying to make sense of this process based on the limited information in this lame article...

Everything is known so nothing can be patented, lol

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]And yet another case of patenting an idea.http://www.dailytech.com/EDITORIAL [...] e22685.htmidea patented in 2004, product not until 2010. http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2010/11/ [...] /id=13495/I just invented it 6 years before it was possible. I patented the Idea of my invention. - Steve Jobs.[/citation]

Notably the patent discussed in the editorial was one of Apple's big losers in the recent litigation and is not been upheld anywhere else, either, AFAIK. It has only really worked in germany for unique reasons not directly related to the patent. You *really* think this guy is on to something that an army of samsung lawyers couldn't see with the photo frame thing?

The second article is a pretty lengthy description of "ideas cannot be patented" and as such I am now not sure which side you are arguing for. The only way they have of protecting an idea is by consent of the other party(this would be everyone wanting to use your idea). Like that would ever work.

G

apple should be fined for attempting to patent something like this... yea a nice 10 million $ fine, this will make them think twice in te fitire of bullshit patents...

then again this one is succeeding... so my hope in humanity as far as common sense goes is completely diminished.

Status
Not open for further replies.