Apple Forecasted To Become 5th Largest PC Brand in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Apple Forecasted To Become 5th Largest PC Brand in 2013? A big YES... and maybe higher... windows 8 don't gonna help the windows PC's...

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Much as i dont care for apple this is probably going to hold true thanks to win 8. Unless generak consumers actually like the metro ui, which i honestly cant see happening thanjs to most users being used to the start button...

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
OSX is a much more user friendly system than Windows 8. Im looking forward to switching to mac next year when haswell is released. I believe you pay for what you get when it comes to apple.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]OSX is a much more user friendly system than Windows 8. Im looking forward to switching to mac next year when haswell is released. I believe you pay for what you get when it comes to apple.[/citation]

I always wondered how it feels to be a drone. Please, tell us how it feels.

whitey_rolls1984

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]OSX is a much more user friendly system than Windows 8. Im looking forward to switching to mac next year when haswell is released. I believe you pay for what you get when it comes to apple.[/citation]

You are kidding right?

You believe a $1,000 PC with a $30 OS sold for $2500 is getting what you paid for? Go get your head checked buddy.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't see this as being a big deal. More people are switching over to tablets and there are fewer companies making PC's on a large scale due to consolidation. Walk into a Best Buy and the PC's are all HPs and Dells anyway. I remember when their used to be Acer, Gateway, Emachines, etc. I imagine that in the future the desktop PC market will be more business oriented than it is now, which would hurt Apple. They may end up number 5 but it'll still be a huge leap to number 4.

On a side note I think it's ironic that Apple is now a "PC maker" :eek:

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah... I just don't see the consumer excitement for Windows 8.

And while the business community will eventually start move to Windows 8 (probably sometime after SP1), there isn't really a compelling reason for them to spend the money to perform the upgrade. And if businesses don't upgrade, then consumers won't have any exposure to it.

And on the flip side of the pond... Apple is trendy right now, and people want the trifecta of Apple products (Desktop/Laptop, iPad, & iPhone). Apple has done a very good job of selling this trifecta to users.

Meanwhile we, the die-hard system builder community members, are forced to stay with Windows, and from what I have read so far, most of us are sticking with Windows 7. Not that it matters--we aren't helping either of the top-five PC brands anyway.

At any rate, the market favors Apple and Apple's products right now. No doubt about it. So I'm not surprised by this forecast.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls1984[/nom]You are kidding right? You believe a $1,000 PC with a $30 OS sold for $2500 is getting what you paid for? Go get your head checked buddy.[/citation]

There's no $1000 PC that offers the same quality display as the the $2500 Macs.

I wouldn't buy myself a Mac, but just saying. Lets be realistic and compare 'Apples' to 'Oranges' :p

A high-end 1080p PC laptop is still at least +$1500-$2000 and that does not have the same display but usually more storage capacity.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls1984[/nom]You are kidding right? You believe a $1,000 PC with a $30 OS sold for $2500 is getting what you paid for? Go get your head checked buddy.[/citation]

Also, Apple has traditionally made their money on the hardware not the OS, that's why their OS is cheap.
Disregarding the new Windows 8 pricing, Apple's OS were really cheap because they had massive margins on hardware. Whereas PC machines had cheaper hardware but going to a full OS was really expensive and upgrades were still triple digits in cost.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
You are kidding right?

You believe a $1,000 PC with a $30 OS sold for $2500 is getting what you paid for? Go get your head checked buddy.

assuming you are referring to the MB retina, you do realize the cheapest monitor you can but with 2,560 x 1,600 res is over $1100 yeah? make sure you ad a premium mobo with Thunderbolt, a custom battery pack, and a machined aluminum case. etc...

I think if you look more closely at what you are getting, design and form-factor included you will find its not that bad of a deal. Surely you could build a machine cheaper. but OEM comparisons are rather modest differences, arguably made up in the build quality.

but haters gunna hate i s'pose.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]so now we're calling Macs"PCs". I wonder who's idea that is.[/citation]
I've always thought PC to mean "personal computer," and a Macintosh is a personal computer. So I'm not sure why people always attributed the term "PC" to Windows-based machine.

Anyway, if Microsoft (and thus the big-four Windows manufactures) want to keep their dominance, they'll need to come up with something sooner or later. I was just in one of Janssen Pharmaceuticals' administration building the other day and found out that iPads are standard issue. Now employees are starting to request iMacs on their desk instead of the typical Dell.

One of my college buddies is an IT pro for a hospital in Las Vegas. An iPhone paired with an iPad is standard issue for him as well. These are IT pros here... being given Apple products so they can complete their jobs more effectively. If I was Microsoft I'd be poopin' my pants right now.

But, for now anyway, Microsoft still dominates. Might be a different story in 5-10 years.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I've always thought PC to mean "personal computer," and a Macintosh is a personal computer. So I'm not sure why people always attributed the term "PC" to Windows-based machine.[/citation]
Apple made that distinction, they are the ones who made the commercials making sure everyone knew that Macs were different from PCs. They are PCs but they try extremely hard to make sure no one thinks of them as PCs.

Matt C

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Good to see the stock is going strong these past few days, HAHA!

Good luck to Apple breaking more than 10% market share with OSX in 2013.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Apple will ship about 24 million computers, excluding the iPad line"

I'd not count the iPad ( or any other 'pad') as a computer, neither are smart TVs.
I think we should differentiate by what a device is used for, not whether or not it has a CPU in it.

Otherwise, I just bought a new refrigerator... it has a computer and a touch screen; i.e. a 'computer' !

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
If Microsoft would just allow users to boot straight to the desktop, and bring back the Start Menu, they'd have a best seller. The OS does bring a lot of performance enhancements and costs relatively little.

But, alas...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]...Pharmaceuticals' administration...These are IT pros here... being given Apple products so they can complete their jobs more effectively.[/citation]

Get real, Pharma has deep pockets and he managed to sweet talk his bosses into getting him the toys he can not afford privately. Seen it many times.
MAC PCs will never replace Windows boxes in the mass market. Price is one issue, and compatibility and serviceability another.

Just a few minutes ago I had a call from a client who runs a small printing company. When she started out she-against better advice- opted for Macs instead of PCs. Had a hard drive crash... and Apple quoted her a 2 week turn around.
She's basically out of business now. With a PC we'd have walked over to the local PC place, picked up a new drive and she'd be back in business by the next morning.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Matt C[/nom]Good to see the stock is going strong these past few days, HAHA!Good luck to Apple breaking more than 10% market share with OSX in 2013.[/citation]

You do know Google and Apple have both gone down 12.5 - 13% in the past month. And Microsoft is down about 8% in the same time period.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]There's no $1000 PC that offers the same quality display as the the $2500 Macs.I wouldn't buy myself a Mac, but just saying. Lets be realistic and compare 'Apples' to 'Oranges' A high-end 1080p PC laptop is still at least +$1500-$2000 and that does not have the same display but usually more storage capacity.[/citation]

So you judge a computer by its display, and is comparing a desktop to laptops? Come on, I know Apple fanboys can't be that stupid.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Get real, Pharma has deep pockets and he managed to sweet talk his bosses into getting him the toys he can not afford privately. Seen it many times.MAC PCs will never replace Windows boxes in the mass market. Price is one issue, and compatibility and serviceability another.[/citation]
Pharma does have deep pockets, yes, but doesn't change the fact they opted to give all of their employees an iPad instead of a Windows tablet or Android.

And my friend has been adamantly against Apple ever since an battery update tanked his Macbook (his one and only Apple product) seven years ago, and Apple refused to replace it. He doesn't need Apple toys anyway, he owns a Galaxy S2 and a Galaxy Tab. The only reason why he got an iPhone and an iPad because they are standard issue for the entire IT department of 37 employees, not because he sweet talked his bosses.

Anyway, my point is that Mac machines ARE starting to replace Windows boxes. Not on a mass scale yet... not by a long shot. But in certain areas (these areas aren't small either)... it is happening.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]So you judge a computer by its display, and is comparing a desktop to laptops? Come on, I know Apple fanboys can't be that stupid.[/citation]

First off nothing you write make any sense.

1. You said its a $2500 machine for the price of one that is $1000, but have yet to name a single model or provide links to a machine is is comparable.

2. I am no Apple fanboy, I already said I would not by the Retina Laptop, and in fact use a windows 7 Samsung laptop, and a homebuilt windows 7 PC.

3. How am I comparing a desktop to a laptop? When did I ever do that? I never did, where did you even come up with this from? You're not making any sense at all.

4. Display is one aspect I judge a computer by and most people do to. I will not spend money on a computer if it cannot support decent resolution. Would you buy a 800 x 600 laptop? Of course not, but I myself as mentioned earlier would not buy $2500 laptop either just because it has the best display in the market.

I don't know what you're a "fanboy" of, but its certainly not logic by your response.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]There's no $1000 PC that offers the same quality display as the the $2500 Macs.I wouldn't buy myself a Mac, but just saying. Lets be realistic and compare 'Apples' to 'Oranges' A high-end 1080p PC laptop is still at least +$1500-$2000 and that does not have the same display but usually more storage capacity.[/citation]

Actually, there is no $2500 Mac Pro that includes a display. Here are the spec sheets:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

There is absolutely no way possible to argue that you are getting what you pay for here. None whatsoever.

Single quad core Xeon, 6GB RAM, Radeon 5770, 1 TB SATA HD, NO DISPLAY.

A 5770 in a $2500 computer? You want to splurge and get upgrade to a 5870? $200 $200 to UPGRADE from a 5770! Or for only $250, you can add a 2nd 5770.

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Apple computers are anything but horrendous value for your money.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
"Apple Forecasted To Become 5th Largest PC Brand in 2013" WTF? When did Apple start loading Windows onto their machines instead of OSX? Mac vs PC anyone remember those commercials? It's a MAC not a PC. I do get what they are saying for all that cannot understand sarcasm.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]... my point is that Mac machines ARE starting to replace Windows boxes. Not on a mass scale yet... not by a long shot. But in certain areas (these areas aren't small either)... it is happening.[/citation]

I work IT since the late 70s. Back then the Apple II and later the IIc where to replace the C-64s etc.
Never happened of course.
The MacIntosh was supposed to take on the PC market; never happened.
and this will not change. Apple is not going after the low margin mass market, they aim for high markup products; also the Mini iPad may tempt them to try otherwise.

Kinda like Mercedes did with the 190 Series or Porsche with the 924s; what a mistake that was.
High end and mass market simply do not mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.