Apple Gets 2012 Wireless Turkey Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
judging by the number of iphone owners that want to hold my phone, I would say they may be in a little trouble.
Advice to apple,
Make the iphone a 5 inch quad core, 2 gigs of ram. super amoled screen ( your screen is dim ) add micro sd card slot, removable battery. Get rid of aluminum and go with something like carbon fiber before everyone else does. Break down and admit that widgets are awesome for the phone. If you can't come up with new features for ios, copy android's best features and pay them.

Your minimal improvements that deserve no fanfare need to stop. Get with the times or be left behind.

I am not an iphone user. I have a note 2.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Apple ALWAYS has an arrogance problem, no thanks to Jobs....

Just think, if apple wasn't so stubborn and arrogant, they would be bigger than MS and Intel by now...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Apple ALWAYS has an arrogance problem, no thanks to Jobs....Just think, if apple wasn't so stubborn and arrogant, they would be bigger than MS and Intel by now...[/citation]

Depends on your definition of bigger. If it means as a company, market cap, profit, they definitely are bigger than Microsoft and Intel combined. But its most likely not going to be sustained over the long haul, but Intel is having its troubles so in 5 years from now who knows, but I doubt Apple will be bigger than both combined.

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Apple ALWAYS has an arrogance problem, no thanks to Jobs....Just think, if apple wasn't so stubborn and arrogant, they would be bigger than MS and Intel by now...[/citation]

AAPL: 489B$ market cap
MSFT: 228B$
INTC: 103B$
GOOG: 233B$

They're already bigger than Microsoft, Intel, and half of Google COMBINED. I guess their arrogance didn't cause them too much problems after all.

I actually think that's what helped them. People want to be on the side being arrogant, not on the side being "looked down" to. I actually prefer android, but branding wise Apple has been stellar. That maps thing won't hurt them at all in the long run.

Just think, if apple wasn't so stubborn and arrogant, they would be bigger than MS and Intel by now...
Apple's hubris will kill them eventually, as it has previously. You can just hear Jobs say something like: "What we have with the Mac OS is just soooooooooooo superior to a PC clone running Windows 3.1 that we will never lose market share. We will own the desktop space forever". Right? Wrong.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom] Advice to apple,Make the iphone a 5 inch quad core, 2 gigs of ram.[/citation]

Doing that is admitting that the size of their current models is not really the sweet spot of sizes that they have researched, engineered, and tested well. They have this image they want to maintain. Same reason why they made a 7.85" iPad mini instead of a 7" one so that they can say it is actually more of an 8" one.

Doing that is admitting that the size of their current models is not really the sweet spot of sizes that they have researched, engineered, and tested well.
Haven't they admitted this already with the iPhone5? Going from a 3.5" 4:3 screen (which Job's repeatedly claimed to be the "perfect" size) to a 4" 16:9 screen already clearly acknowledges they must now think Steve and Apple's engineers had got it wrong all along (I can say that with certainty, given that the technology to make a bigger screen was available when the iPhone 1 was released).

halcyon

Splendid
I really never understood why Apple decided to drop the ball on their mapping app the way they did (I think it was a conscious decision). Is it all fixed now (I've not been following it)?

Unless you just want a little phone (because slipping it in your front jeans pocket is really important to you) it really seems weird that anyone that has done their research would want an iPhone over an S3 or Note2. You just get to keep it simple or make it unique with these devices. Swap out your battery on-the-spot, if you need. Enjoy haptic feedback (if you like) ...the list goes on and on. ...just feel sorry for those that obviously probably don't know what they're missing.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Anyone remember when Wolfgang Gruener was the one who was posting the Apple news? Good times...[/citation]

At least wolfgang reported the news, it may have been about Apple. But it wasn't tainted with pure bull like a lot of Zak's articles are.

Like the time he lied about Samsung saying they want to be like Apple, instead of just emulating a part of what Apple is doing, releases two conflicting articles ON THE SAME DAY, etc.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]AzureFlash[/nom]AAPL: 489B$ market capMSFT: 228B$INTC: 103B$GOOG: 233B$They're already bigger than Microsoft, Intel, and half of Google COMBINED. I guess their arrogance didn't cause them too much problems after all.I actually think that's what helped them. People want to be on the side being arrogant, not on the side being "looked down" to. I actually prefer android, but branding wise Apple has been stellar. That maps thing won't hurt them at all in the long run.[/citation]

I always laughed at market cap being used to determine the size of a company. With it being able to change drastically over night.

halcyon

Splendid
Apple is huge and that's not gonna change anytime soon. They can make great products but they really dropped the ball on the iPhone 5 IMHO. They can do better, so they should. They can make a good mapping application...so they should. I feel like they're depending on inertia right now and this isn't a vacuum so that can't last. They need to be fighting...doing the best they can...not resting on their laurels.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Depends on your definition of bigger. If it means as a company, market cap, profit, they definitely are bigger than Microsoft and Intel combined. But its most likely not going to be sustained over the long haul, but Intel is having its troubles so in 5 years from now who knows, but I doubt Apple will be bigger than both combined.[/citation]

Whatever dude. You can make yourself look huge on paper with tons of fiat money, but in the reall world, this is what apple has: A gadget, and several versions of it.
Look, apple has nearly ZERO penetration in the business market. That is important to long lasting gains... thats why IBM, Intel, Xerox, etc etc etc are still around despite being hardly words that kids spew out when they go out to wal mart with mommy and daddy...
Face it, Apples' iCrap is just a fad, that ALOT of investors coined into for a quick buck during a recession...
Apple produces nothing that will keep them as a viable, long investment, except, maybe, their standing in the art department. But even then, they have ignored that for so long that the WinTel platform is now far superior to apple.

Once the kids move on to the next "big" thing, it will be all over for apple, and it looks like it is already happening anyways... that is until they sucker the kids for another worthless gadget...

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
--Apple will need a blockbuster product to win back the confidence from analysts.

that's overblowing it. this is apple we're talking about, not AMD. of course their next product will be a success, even if it's not up to jobs' standards.

I always laughed at market cap being used to determine the size of a company. With it being able to change drastically over night.
Yeah he obviously missed the Nasdaq Tech Bubble (or has a very shoert memory) when Yahoo! had a stock value of $275. If Apple is forced to lower their profit margins to the market average, the PE sky rockets, and the stock price collapses. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]AzureFlash[/nom]AAPL: 489B$ market capMSFT: 228B$INTC: 103B$GOOG: 233B$They're already bigger than Microsoft, Intel, and half of Google COMBINED. I guess their arrogance didn't cause them too much problems after all.I actually think that's what helped them. People want to be on the side being arrogant, not on the side being "looked down" to. I actually prefer android, but branding wise Apple has been stellar. That maps thing won't hurt them at all in the long run.[/citation]

Uhh, you seem to be forgetting how HUGE microsoft used to be. Apple stock volume is less than 20 million. Microsoft in its heyday (like 2000) was trading like 50+ million. Microsoft used to be that company that was worth so much the sky was the limit. Same could be said for a couple oil companies. Even IBM. They ALL fell eventually. Google basically hit their ceiling in 2008, but they could always go up if they keep dominating with Android and introducing more hardware. Apple's already faltering a LOT. That arrogance is killing them just like it did the other ginormous companies of their times.

And no, their maps fiasco was killing them a lot. Google maps probably saved Apple, if anything, because now iOS 6 users don't have to switch to a new phone just for a decent map app.

Apple needs to kick up their hardware up a few notches. They already hit the jackpot with their simple, yet elegant designs and OS.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]At least wolfgang reported the news, it may have been about Apple. But it wasn't tainted with pure bull like a lot of Zak's articles are.Like the time he lied about Samsung saying they want to be like Apple, instead of just emulating a part of what Apple is doing, releases two conflicting articles ON THE SAME DAY, etc.[/citation]
Really? Because I clearly remember people crying about Wolfgang being an Apple fanboy tainting the site with his pro-Apple propaganda just a few months ago. And before that, it was someone else. The insane anti-Apple comments on here used to be funny to read, but now it's just pitiful and predictable.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Really? Because I clearly remember people crying about Wolfgang being an Apple fanboy tainting the site with his pro-Apple propaganda just a few months ago. And before that, it was someone else. The insane anti-Apple comments on here used to be funny to read, but now it's just pitiful and predictable.[/citation]

Sigh, learn to read.

They may have been about Apple, but full of the lies that Zak has done they have not.

And no, the first person to start the massive amount of Apple articles was Wolfgang. And of course they are are anti-apple comments on here.

Apple doesn't innovate yet claims to, while trying to SUE it's competition to oblivion over dumb ass patents THAT SHOULD NOT EXIST.

What is pitiful and predictable is people like you defending a company that is now the same company they attack in their famous ad.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]judging by the number of iphone owners that want to hold my phone, I would say they may be in a little trouble. Advice to apple,Make the iphone a 5 inch quad core, 2 gigs of ram. super amoled screen ( your screen is dim ) add micro sd card slot, removable battery. Get rid of aluminum and go with something like carbon fiber before everyone else does. Break down and admit that widgets are awesome for the phone. If you can't come up with new features for ios, copy android's best features and pay them.Your minimal improvements that deserve no fanfare need to stop. Get with the times or be left behind.I am not an iphone user. I have a note 2.[/citation]
you know, AMOLED is much dimmer than LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.