Apple Gives Mac OS X a Dose of iOS with Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

wow. so the bigger's feature of this new release OS" it has a notable name" Mountain Lion" I bet the next release if they aiming the market at china. they probably would name it. the Mountain Lion and the crouching leopard"

G

As long as the upgrade doesn't cause crashes on my Mac like it did on my iPad.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Dropping the Mac name is weird.... Many people already call it "OS ten" or "OS X" (and some people get into fervent debates wether calling it "X" instead of "ten" is acceptable), but I don't see the point of dropping the Mac name.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Call it "Brand X"..... or the "OS for dummies"...... oooh I know.... It's kinda long but: "The OS for un-serious computing...... for dummies".... Yea, there we go....

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ooooh, more: "The hippy OS".... or "They were high when they built this thing", or "Don't bother doing anything with it OS"... Hey I know: "It tracks ur every move and you have absolutely no privacy because you sold ur soul to the devil..... OS".... Hey, I like THAT one....

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I like the unification of the desktop and iOS.
Once the OS is the same for Mac laptops and pads, techies can finally get some ammo against the stupid 'pads are different, not computers' crowd.

d-isdumb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Don't like it and especially don't trust or like the cloud.
"Apple is also taking OS X to the iCloud with this build. Mountain Lion will use your Apple ID to automatically set up Contacts, Mail, Calendar, Messages, FaceTime and Find My Mac. These will continuously sync across all of your Apple devices and is the reason Messages"
As far as Facebook goes, not ever going to happen on my Mac or any other computer I have.

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I find it ironic that Tim Cook is on the board of directors for Nike. Apple seems to be Heaven's Gate. Just ask Marshall Applewhite while viewing OSX wallaper.

silentbobdc

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I wonder if they remembered to mention one of those "over 100 new features" is that
...support for a wide range of Apple's products from 2007 and 2008 are being dropped regardless of whether they include a Core 2 Duo processor.
. Hmmm, you get to pay for a service pack (which are free on windows) that could help drive your home computer into obsolescence. At least it will help apple sell more new overpriced computers with that wonderful planned obsolescence feature built right in.

For the record you can run windows 7 on any pc with a 1ghz or higher processor and 1-2GB (for 32 and 64 bit respectively) of ram.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Call it "Brand X"..... or the "OS for dummies"...... oooh I know.... It's kinda long but: "The OS for un-serious computing...... for dummies".... Yea, there we go....[/citation]

Would not go there !
After all, the Apple OS is closely related to Linux !

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Reading about Gatekeeper has me wondering if Apple will eventually take away the ability to turn it off. Then you would have to jailbreak your mac!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Call it "Brand X"..... or the "OS for dummies"...... oooh I know.... It's kinda long but: "The OS for un-serious computing...... for dummies".... Yea, there we go....[/citation]
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Would not go there !After all, the Apple OS is closely related to Linux ![/citation]

Yep, it is a combination of FreeBSD and NetBSD with the Mac kernel. NextStep just developed a really nice interface for it. If you open up the terminal, it is all Unix all the time from that point on. I compiled Linux source code code for some applications with gcc on my Mac because I needed some of the tools for my job. Now there is a recompiled Linux app repository for OSX. Just another troll talking about something he has never really used.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]silentbobdc[/nom]I wonder if they remembered to mention one of those "over 100 new features" is that . Hmmm, you get to pay for a service pack (which are free on windows) that could help drive your home computer into obsolescence. At least it will help apple sell more new overpriced computers with that wonderful planned obsolescence feature built right in. For the record you can run windows 7 on any pc with a 1ghz or higher processor and 1-2GB (for 32 and 64 bit respectively) of ram.[/citation]
I want to see a Windows service pack that comes with a bunch of features like that.

The no longer supported Macs are all machines with really crummy graphics cards. Either old Intel integrated graphics (GMA950, X3100) or ATI mobile cards from 2006.
I bet you can still install 10.8 on those machines if you really want to.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Would not go there !After all, the Apple OS is closely related to Linux ![/citation]
OS X is not related to Linux. OS X is related to BSD. Both Linux and OS X are unix-like systems, but that's the only relationship.
(OS X is actually "real" UNIX, because it is UNIX-certified)

But you are sort of right. It's unix-like nature makes it a good choice for "serious computing"... whatever that means.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Ooooh, more: "The hippy OS".... or "They were high when they built this thing", or "Don't bother doing anything with it OS"... Hey I know: "It tracks ur every move and you have absolutely no privacy because you sold ur soul to the devil..... OS".... Hey, I like THAT one....[/citation]

Lol, in today's Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204880404577225380456599176.html

An you guys talk about Apple. Google is actually using coding tricks to track phones that they did not event make.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]silentbobdc[/nom]I wonder if they remembered to mention one of those "over 100 new features" is that . Hmmm, you get to pay for a service pack (which are free on windows) that could help drive your home computer into obsolescence. At least it will help apple sell more new overpriced computers with that wonderful planned obsolescence feature built right in. For the record you can run windows 7 on any pc with a 1ghz or higher processor and 1-2GB (for 32 and 64 bit respectively) of ram.[/citation]

First of all, Windows service packs include a bunch of fixes, not new applications, not UI improvements, not back end features. Secondly, Apple only charges $29 dollars for their updates for 1 machine and 79.99 for a Family 5 pack. Windows 7 Ultimate (which is comparable) retails for over $250.00 and over $175 for 1 machine OEM version.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Ooooh, more: "The hippy OS".... or "They were high when they built this thing", or "Don't bother doing anything with it OS"... Hey I know: "It tracks ur every move and you have absolutely no privacy because you sold ur soul to the devil..... OS".... Hey, I like THAT one....[/citation]

Or how about "it just works cause im a retard and dont know how to use a real OS"

Status
Not open for further replies.