Apple Has 91 Percent of Premium 'PC' Marketshare

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So it would seem that workstations are not included. Businesses spend $1000s on CAD machines. None of them are Macs.

[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]That's a retarded statistic. I know what more people who have custom built systems that cost over 1000$ than I know people who have apple computers.[/citation]
Know people that have purchased mac clones? There are a lot of mac rip offs not counted so these enthusiast PC builds aren't the only systems left out.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I think this is worthless as well. I could be wrong but I bet 90% of the people with PCs over $1,000 built their own which wouldn't be tracked by this?

Find a way to include that in your info and then we can talk!

wempa

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I think this is worthless as well. I could be wrong but I bet 90% of the people with PCs over $1,000 built their own which wouldn't be tracked by this?

Find a way to include that in your info and then we can talk!

Even then, it would still be skewed because of the premium price on Apple products. You can buy a powerful PC nowadays for pretty cheap. I recently built a Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, dual 640GB HDs and a half way decent video card for $600. That didn't include a monitor, but for less than the remaining $400 I could add a decent LCD monitor and upgrade the video card.

jibear

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
The definition of "premium pc" is soooo skewed here.

...what I mean is that a Windows/Linux machine uses the exact same hardware specs for close to half the price?!?!

So are you telling me that Starbucks makes "premium coffee" because their large coffee is $5 more than any other coffee establishment?!?!?!?!

tosvus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
what a stupid way to label something 'premium'. Spend half the cost of what you pay for a "premium" mac, and get pc that has similar performance.

I like the mac's, don't get me wrong - but they are overpriced.

raabscuttle

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Is everyone forgetting that the same factoryies that pump out the MACs also pump out the HPs, Dells, Toshibas, Fujitsus, etc, etc, etc. They are all the same inside. The car analogy fails utterly, it's like putting a shiney Ferriri shell on a KIA and then charging Ferriri prices - it is still a KIA under the shell. Speaking of actual hardware, they are essentually the same - only the shells and OS are different...

" No major laptop brand is really much more likely to break down than any other. Why? Because most laptops are essentially commodity products, made from the exact same components, and differentiated only by their outer shells and extra features.“

“Who makes the most reliable laptops? by Dan Ackerman – 5-7-08 http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9938550-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

"Currently, the Taiwan-based OEM companies with largest market share are Quanta, Compal, Wistron, Inventec and Asus, whose laptop shipment account for 85.5% of the total globally. “
- China Laptop Industry Report 2006-2007
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/462211

raabscuttle

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hey! Does anyone know where to find the actual NPD report so that we can look at hard numbers, and where those numbers are gathered? I looked on NPD's website but couldn't find the report.

G

What about the people that put more than a grand into their custom PC and then boot many OS's. I'm running Ubuntu, XPx64, XP x32, Vista x64, Win7 RC and Leopard OSX 10.5.7. The Veloci-raptor runs my main OS's and my Spinpoint F1 1TB runs the others that i don't mind being a little 'slower'.... not to mention i can OC and blow away any Mac while still having leopard as an option, its a win-win

brisc0

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I can't believe his article made Toms Hardware. Its cats and dogs living together. The Republicans have credited the Democrats... I was in a bad mood until I saw this in my RSS and had to come visualize all the red faced cry babies pounding on their keyboards in denial. Priceless. Viva Macintosh, maybe the other 9% can get their money back?

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]b-unit[/nom]Umm, duh, all they sell are 'premium' PCs, and most 'premium' Windows machines are hand built by enthusiasts rather than OEMs.[/citation]

Mac's are premium pc's? last i checked hardly any of them compared to what you can custom build on a pc performance wife. i remember almost 2 years ago when the 8800gt made it out for the mac it was hailed as the greatest thing since slice bread.

tryceo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This happens because ever piece of Apple is a bank breaker??? Gay article imo, everyone knows that Apple is overpriced to shit... Rather spend that extra $1000 to the Bill Gates foundation because I know it isn't going to help Apple release their next project, " The $5000 Macbook Pro: now with a decent graphic card."

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The success of computer parts companies proves the quantity of people building PC's; while a few of those parts find themselves going in to already-built Macs, that number is negligible.

Every mainboard sold is a PC.

Even if the private builder didn't spend more than $1K on his/her machine, the value of the machine in a retail sense is most often over $1K.

Maybe this speaks to how well consumers with a lower amount of money can analyze hardware; they can compare a $1K Mac to a $600 PC and see which is better, so go for the 'bargain' rather than the 'premium'. There are all kinds of factors that go in to the why-for of these results, as you all have clearly demonstrated.

Assuming the results are even factual.

;)

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
my head hurts from the stupidity again.

so many people responded that its like they are saying 91% of apple computers are over $1000. That is incorrect. They are saying 91% of ALL computer over $1000 are apples computers. So every nice dell or hp or acer or lenevo... tehy are all being outsold by apple computers.

This article has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with quality of parts, just how much each company sells in what sectors.

Why don't you stop firing your guns at apple's price and read that this is an article about how many units are sold. I'm going to pull out the prejudice card here and say "damn ignorant Americans".

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]It was prompted by a memory I had in the airport where all of us were going through security. Everyone had a laptop (no macs in sight) and I pulled my mac out and placed it in the bin. It made me chuckle to see all of those clunky, ugly, and HEAVY PCs and there was my mac. Sure, it wasn't faster than some of them but it was sure pretty... like a Ferrari.[/citation]

Until the guy behind you pulls out his Sony VAIO ;)

If it was me it'd be a laptop with a custom shell (and not a quick paint job; I mean like a lacquered bamboo shell or raw carbon fibre; something that REALLY stands out...like a Ferrari next to a WRX) :D

But hey, you like munching on apples, I like looking through windows. Nothing wrong with that my friend... it's the people who like playing with penguins you need to watch out for :)

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I love how they call it "premium market"... if the truth be known: Apple have 91% market share of the suckers out there willing to pay this "premium" price for average hardware.

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Maybe the statistic compares Dell/Alienware "Premium" pc's to Apple?

I've never known anyone personally that bought a dell/aw, but have made fun of the few smart enough to buy macs. . .

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]Apples are too over priced for what they have inside. You pay for the glossy looks and unfamiliar operating system. Apple is just doing so well because people like to be different and buy something like a Mac to be better than others. My custom rig will smoke the highest end Mac out there. Why spend $1400 on something to go on facebook compared to $500 or less on a Windows based PC that does the same.[/citation]

Because you will easily spend the $900 difference on service calls to clean viruses, rescue data, maintainance, etc. I don't literally mean you, of course, I mean all the people I do that for. My Mac clients I only see once-- to switch them from pc.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
You have the people that like buying something cheap or get their money's worth and then... you have the poeple who believe you have to pay a high price to get something good or that if you pay more money, it must be better.

I'd rather get a bargain.

Apple has the right marketing to cater to those who like paying premium for the same tech. Kudos for them I guess.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Here's how I see it: you can get a BMW 130i or you can get either a WRX STi or Lancer Evo X. Which ones perform better? Which ones have tons of aftermarket parts to sup them up? Now... which one costs more? And which one is really an overall nicer car to be driving every day? Which one are mature buyers looking for an everyday fun, comfortable drive rather than the top price-performance ratio?
The Evo X and STi will beat the BMW at the track six ways from Sunday. The BMW is going to find a broader audience with the people who could care less about performance and would be embarrassed to be seen in a loud, unpolished car designed to appeal to hot-headed boy racers and shares looks with cars that cost far less and don't drive quite as nicely. Not to mention, with the BMW, you are guaranteed a vehicle that performs very well even if not the best; it's a compromise. They don't build wholly utilitarian economy cars, unlike Mitsubishi and Subaru. The well-off business man was once a college kid who drove a hot-hatch, but now prefers a more civilized drive.

Similarly, would you rather get a Skyline GT-R or a Porsche Turbo? The Porsche is the nicer, more comfortable car but the Skyline beats it on the track for a bit more than half the cost. I would find it a hard decision to make, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.