wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Wow...

<A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050523/tech_apple_intel.html?.v=3" target="_new">http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050523/tech_apple_intel.html?.v=3</A>

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I don't think they are going to start putting Pentiums in the Macs. They are just going to contract with Intel to produce the chips of Apple's design. From the article, it appears that is their relationship with IBM currently.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=red>a spokeswoman for the computer maker characterized the Journal report as "rumor and speculation."</font color=red>

<pre><font color=green><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=green></pre><p>@ 188K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They are just going to contract with Intel to produce the chips of Apple's design. From the article, it appears that is their relationship with IBM currently.
My understanding was that this was true of the G4 (which used to be produced by Motorola), but the G5 (that pulled Apple's butt out of a deep dark hole) was completely IBM's design.

It's possible that Apple is just searching for someone to fab their procs, like they always due, but it's hard to believe that they'd actually turn to Intel for that. :\ I think I'd sooner believe that Apple would allow 3rd party manufacturers to produce Mac-branded computers. :O

King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=green></pre><p>@ 188K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

RichPLS

Champion
AMD is a small company producing small quantities compared to Intel. Apple already has supply issues with IBM, and to consider AMD would exacerbate the problem, instead of resolving it.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
In any case, I don't think Intel does fabrication outsourcing. I'm pretty sure they only make their own chips in their fabs. Apple would have to go to the likes of UMC, TSMC, or National for that kind of outsourcing.

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I would tend to agree with that - AMD needs to focus on getting AMD designed chips out their doors.

Intel's fabs aren't exactly sitting idle though - in fact they are absolutely packed (and I doubt they'd build a new fab exclusively for this business venture).

Edit: <Removed comment that mimics what is already said in the article> :)

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wolverinero79 on 05/23/05 04:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Well, as said in the original linked article:

But it said the talks could break down or could be a <b> tactic to gain negotiating leverage with Apple's current chip supplier, International Business Machines Corp. </b>

And the speculation has already boosted their numbers.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Much like Dell pulling Intel's string by saying they're talking with AMD and the sort? :wink:

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I've seen these so often. "Apple using Merced ?", "Apple porting to Hammer !",..

I assume its indeed just a tactic to turn the thumbscrews on IBM. If its not, at least my guess would be its <b>not</b> about x86 cpu's. Apple moving to x86 would be suicide for them, there is no way they can compete with the Dells and Alienware's of this world.

While far fetched perhaps, I'd rather see them moving to Itanium. Take a 90nm IPF chip, strip it of most of its cache, and you get the typical Apple cpu:
- more or less affordable
- almost no competition for that platform
- almost no software available
- not x86
- generally slower than x86 but good FP potential

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Intel's fabs aren't exactly sitting idle though - in fact
>they are absolutely packed

Thats not what I hear. AFAIK, like most companies in the business, they have a serious <i>over</i>capacity, especially at "older" process nodes. Its not for no reason they make flash and dump it low, loss generating prices.

Don't confuse the lack of availability of their high end offerings with insufficient fab capacity.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

RichPLS

Champion
"Don't confuse the lack of availability of their high end offerings with insufficient fab capacity."

Does Intel make "High End Chips" anymore??? Oh, you must be referring to high priced :)

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Agreed, I don't think there's any way they would us an x86 based chip. If anything, it would just be thier chip produced by intel. (if that's even a possibility) Which, of course, is why it's probably just a leverage move.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
While far fetched perhaps, I'd rather see them moving to Itanium. Take a 90nm IPF chip, strip it of most of its cache, and you get the typical Apple cpu:
- more or less affordable
- almost no competition for that platform
- almost no software available
- not x86
- generally slower than x86 but good FP potential
**ROFL**

Apple moving to x86 would be suicide for them, there is no way they can compete with the Dells and Alienware's of this world.
How would moving to x86 make Apple any less competetive against Dell and Alienware than it is now?

RichPLS

Champion
"Apple moving to x86 would be suicide for them, there is no way they can compete with the Dells and Alienware's of this world."

because of the coupe of thousand worldwide users of Apple, being mostly artistic liberal PC illiterates, they would then boycott Apple for swapping chip suppliers whether or not it improved the product or lowered cost or increased availability!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
because of the coupe of thousand worldwide users of Apple, being mostly artistic liberal PC illiterates, they would then boycott Apple for swapping chip suppliers whether or not it improved the product or lowered cost or increased availability!
I doubt that most would even know the difference, so long as you ported their OS and software and called it Mac OS XI (Puddy Tat).

RichPLS

Champion
But Intel inside would have to change their trademark from an Apple to a Jalapeño! :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Or maybe something as American as <b>Apple Pi</b>(ntel insid)<b>e</b>, you know with a nice new steaming hot logo. Maybe to cater to the nonconventional thinkers they can offer a model that also serves as a small convection oven to cook apple pies in. ;)

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I doubt this will really happen...

A. They would have to port the software and OS, which would be a hellovan undertaking; risc to cisc processor...bleh; no way
2. The applestians would revolt because they weren't using koshier cpus, even though they wouldn't know the difference between the two;
III. It's an obvious ploy by jobs that ibm is probably laughing their arse off at...

Right now, jobs is probably cringing since this went so big. LOL. Oh and for what its worth...I have 2 apple's. apple IIe (long live lemonade stand!!!!) and a clone.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2000+ down][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I think the G4's were ultimately produced(designed?) by Ibm as well. The G3's may have been as well. I used to know...back when i was a appleist.

Edit: OK, i double checkedd that...The g3 and g4 were codesigned by IBM and Motorola.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2000+ down][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apesoccer on 05/24/05 04:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Hey, BTW, one of you guys care to give me some kind of help on this thread??

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=4952#4952" target="_new"> here </A>