News Apple Introduces M2 Processor: 8-Core CPU, 10-Core GPU, up to 18% More Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
apple always picks the weakest opponent to compare themselves to. People are sour, because fanboys were promising 4000% faster stuff...
m2 performance cannot grow much because its not CISK, its only gaining when you add cores or shrink nodes. I am 99% sure 18% gain comes from wider memory access that DDR5 provides. M2 is in same ballpark as alder lake, so it will be much slower than raptor & 7'th mobile amd, not even talking about desktop variants.
AMD 6'th offers up to 24h of battery life, and were tested to provide 17 on youtube watching. So whole m2 is not as revolutionary as first one, as its not compared to 6 y old (intel) tech as m1 was...

I remind you when m1 launched, they compared themselves to "most sold laptop on amazon" which at the time was 269$ Athlon based thing...

They made intel <Mod Edit> themselves when both AMD launched zen1 and apple shown m1... but now x86 is going faster with every generation and arm stuff will be even more behind speed wise.
I agree power usage is something to be envied about, but when they will be losing performance wars, they will as well make power sucking monsters...

Funny you mention shenanigans in benchmarks... HOWEVER

I have 20+ hours of work life in my MacBook Pro and it executes faster than my previous Intel MacBook 2016 that was fast when it hit launched. I will repeat, I CURRENTLY have a 12th gen Intel workstation laptop for my new job and the comparison to my work Intel chipset laptop is that it runs about the same speed at the same tasks but it's dead in ~8 hours if I'm lucky :LOL:

You can keep making arguments to the people on this forum that don't own the hardware... :ROFLMAO::kissingheart:

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Maybe 5+ years ago when laptops typically didn't last more than 3 or 4 hours, battery life was a big deal. A lot of people think it's still 2016 or something.

There's a point where more battery life doesn't matter much anymore and more performance still does. For me, that's around 8-9 hours. I think that is true of most people.

There are plenty of Intel and AMD laptops with 8+ hours that will eat this M2 up and spit it out in raw performance terms. I prefer those types of laptops.
Riiight, thank you for changing your argument now that is full of holes...

"There are plenty of Intel and AMD laptops with 8+ hours that will eat this M2 up and spit it out in raw performance terms. I prefer those types of laptops."

PLEASE provide a link to one that does that ;)

I'll wait :kissingheart:

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Riiight, thank you for changing your argument now that is full of holes...

"There are plenty of Intel and AMD laptops with 8+ hours that will eat this M2 up and spit it out in raw performance terms. I prefer those types of laptops."

PLEASE provide a link to one that does that ;)

I'll wait :kissingheart:

You know, I've noticed this weird pattern with people who are clearly exhibiting confirmation bias where they are unable to do simple research or deductive reasoning on their own.

Anyway, I'm just going to leave you with this, and put you on ignore since you are a waste of my time :

12700H demolishing the M1 by more than 2:1 in multi, and 20%+ in single.

SyLEX89.jpg

A 12700H laptop with a discrete GPU that can run 8 hours playing videos or wifi browsing on the web :

rSMXOrv.jpg

Jun 10, 2022
As I said, for its power usage it's impressive. What's the upgrade if I want something 50% faster in a laptop from Apple?

Correct Answer: nothing.

I don't need 30 hour battery life. I can get 8-10 hour battery life from something twice as fast as the M2 from Intel or AMD. That's why I'm not impressed.
That's some crystal ball you have.. the M2 isn't even out yet. Just curious, how does all the fan noise grab ya?

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
That's some crystal ball you have.. the M2 isn't even out yet. Just curious, how does all the fan noise grab ya?

Most laptops allow you to set power to your liking, so you can choose quiet and cool or fast and loud, or something in-between if you like. You can't do that with Apple, so you're forgiven for being ignorant of this simple fact of the x86 world.