Apple iPhone 5 Review: CPU, GPU, Battery, Wi-Fi, And Display Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
Why can't everyone - Apple included - agree on a standardized power adapter like mini USB?? It would make not only our lives easier but the manufacturers who make these accessories able to have one device and on cord that works with everything.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
The LCD tests puzzle me a little. Most other reviews said that the SGS3 has a poorer display and the iphone5 has a better display , with much better contrast ratio and sRGB compliance.

Maybe i am reading it wrong ?

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
There needs to be more explanation in the quality of the screens. We all know Galaxy SIII covers a larger colour gamut, but does it beat the iPhone 5 in terms of accuracy is one big thing we want to know based on your eyes, not numbers and graphs.

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Great article ^_^

Second to last paragraph:
"For example, Samsung's Galaxy S III has been on the market for a while, and its LCD is a market leader"

LCD = AMOLED

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]Great article ^_^Second to last paragraph:"For example, Samsung's Galaxy S III has been on the market for a while, and its LCD is a market leader"LCD = AMOLED[/citation]

My apologies. On page 6 we mentioned that S3 uses AMOLED. I'll make a correction. Thanks for the shout out.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Excellent article as usual, very comprehensive. Hopefully this helps to dispel some of the performance myths about the iPhone that seem to circulate here on Tom's.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]The LCD tests puzzle me a little. Most other reviews said that the SGS3 has a poorer display and the iphone5 has a better display , with much better contrast ratio and sRGB compliance.Maybe i am reading it wrong ?[/citation]

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57524291-37/color-me-prettier-galaxy-s3-display-outdoes-iphone-5s/ Check that one out. :)

I'd still like to add an accuracy test at some point. I need to think about how to approach that problem. The way people normally talk about color accuracy (besides deltae and gamma) are sometimes too abstract with color terms that professionals use. I'd like to find a way to present the information in a more intuitive manner.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Why can't everyone - Apple included - agree on a standardized power adapter like mini USB?? It would make not only our lives easier but the manufacturers who make these accessories able to have one device and on cord that works with everything.[/citation]
Agreed...though don't most smartphones today use the microUSB B-type connector?

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Seems apple has not inovated for a couple of years now. I´m shocked that the most inovative and arguably the best phone of the year is not even mentioned in this article. Nokia Lumia 920 is definitely the most inovative na the most complete phone reseased so far. It has much better build quality, a better screen and camera than the iphone 5, not to mention a much more inovative OS.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Great GPU performance. Apple/PowerVR consistently beat the competition in this.[/citation]
True. The low resolutions do help the iphones though. Wish android manufacturers used PowerVR GPUs.
Instead we get crappy Tegra chips that are not good at anything other than marketing hype.
If nvidia f***s up gpu performance and memory bandwidth again in Tegra 4, I'm going to stay away form tablets powered by it.

I'm looking forward to the next samsung galaxy device w/ ARM A15 and Mali600. hopefully the display won't be PenTile.

halcyon

Splendid
That weak-@$$ soft alumiinum body should be tested too. That's a particularly sore spot for me. So much for Apple's nice build quality that the iPhone 4 had. "Handle with care." Everyone is not me so everyone doesn't handle their belongings with care.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]$30 for an adapter........Pffffffwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhohohohohohohohohohoooo...[/citation]

You clearly don't understand what the lightning adapter is. Its something in a different league then your 15 year old USB plug.

Each pin is programmable. There is a small processor on each cord. This is genius since the same cable can be used in many different ways. Great technology cost money, or use 15 year old USB.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Why can't everyone - Apple included - agree on a standardized power adapter like mini USB?? It would make not only our lives easier but the manufacturers who make these accessories able to have one device and on cord that works with everything.[/citation]

No. Why compromise?
USB is to limited. To low voltage. Cant do anything beside send data. Its better with a programmable interface that can be used with a bunch of assessors. Its actually ballsy that Apple continues to push the envelope. Just the simple thing that you can put in the adapter any way you want is huge.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]dare2blink[/nom]Seems apple has not inovated for a couple of years now. I´m shocked that the most inovative and arguably the best phone of the year is not even mentioned in this article. Nokia Lumia 920 is definitely the most inovative na the most complete phone reseased so far. It has much better build quality, a better screen and camera than the iphone 5, not to mention a much more inovative OS.[/citation]

Hint: Lumia 920 uses almost 2 year old technique and weights over 60% more then iPhone5. Its CPU is 50% slower. GPU 60%+ slower. The hardware is dictated by Microsoft. Nokia can't/don't do anything.
Lumia is hyped by tech nerds who haven't used GalaxyS3/iPhone5.

But:
There are only 3 phones that people should consider buying:
iPhone5
GalaxyS3
and
Lumia920.

People who loves integration = iPhone
People who loves openness/fragmentation = GalaxyS3
People who loves photography = Lumia 920.

The sad thing is that we have to many MSFTdrones and Fandroids.

[citation][nom]shompa[/nom]No. Why compromise? USB is to limited. To low voltage. Cant do anything beside send data. Its better with a programmable interface that can be used with a bunch of assessors. Its actually ballsy that Apple continues to push the envelope. Just the simple thing that you can put in the adapter any way you want is huge.[/citation]

I believe both lightning and USB carry power at 5V. If you can show me a source that says otherwise; that they have an internal stepup/stepdown DC-DC converter; I would be quite surprised.

USB is a programmable interface. It can be set to a variety of modes, for things like bulk transfer (data), interrupt (guaranteed quick responses; eg keyboards), and isochronous (guaranteed data; eg webcams). These could be, and are, expanded to other purposes such as audio etc.

Besides; all lightning does is send data. What else does it do that is not data (or power)? Audio is data, files are data, control signals are data. The only upside is that you can put it in both ways, but I prefer compatibility. The number of microUSB cables in my house is uncountable, but I could count on the fingers of one amputated hand (ie none) how many 30pin/lightning cables I have.

By the way; I assume you think we can never have too many iSheep? Personally I prefer Android, as you can change a whole lot more about it, and the hardware has reached the point where (imo) it's significantly better. And cheaper.

G

Just ran a test on my stock Samsung Galaxy Note II Scored a 2067 all stock. Username is Tripneye to see the results on geekbench

halcyon

Splendid

No...the iPhone 5 is not the best (and I certainly am not an Apple/iOS hater by any stretch). The forced grid of icons is past being dated when Android not only allows that style (for those that need simplicity....) but widgets and other customizations (...for those that don't). As mentioned above a phone that is created in 2012 that not only ignores durability but actually makes strides in the other direction really can not be considered the best no matter how light, fast, "optimized" it is or how cute some may think it looks.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]shompa[/nom]...People who loves photography = Lumia 920.[/citation]

Hint: People who love Photography get a CAMERA :)
There is no -and never will be- a smart phone that can compete with a dedicated camera; or even a good quality compact camera.

A good camera needs a big lens, a big sensor and a strong flash. None of which is possible in a cellphone due to the obvious size and battery limitations.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Hint: People who love Photography get a CAMERA :)[/citation]
Hahahaha true, i think the same thing every time i see a stupid apple ad asking me to shell out $700 on the new iphone 5 because it can upload a picture to twitter.

And it also defies the law of physics. No joke. They say that. Because when you look at it front on then it's big and when you tilt it to the side it becomes "smaller". Hell, my HAF 912 does that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.