Apple iPhone 5 Success Causes Worker Shortage at Foxconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Send all the unassembled iPhones to the customer. Build your own phone :D

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Wouldn't have this crap if you had the factory in the US.[/citation]

LOL, I guess that the price would skyrocket up to 1k usd for the cheaper one.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ALEXMX[/nom]LOL, I guess that the price would skyrocket up to 1k usd for the cheaper one.[/citation]
Oh...that doesn't matter, I'm sure all the overwhelmingly too-rich-to-exist Americans wouldn't mind paying $1K+ for their iPhones...nope, we'd not mind that one bit. Isn't that right?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
They were expected to sell 10 million units on the first weekend, sold 5 million.
Now *somebody* is shameless enough to claim, that it's "success" that can cause shortages and not the riots.

Wow guys. Impressive marketing skills. I guess "success", "apple" "iphone 5" in the title work, no matter if reality is on the contrary...

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]They were expected to sell 10 million units on the first weekend, sold 5 million.Now *somebody* is shameless enough to claim, that it's "success" that can cause shortages and not the riots.Wow guys. Impressive marketing skills. I guess "success", "apple" "iphone 5" in the title work, no matter if reality is on the contrary...[/citation]
Yeah...and?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Of course Foxconn could easily fix the worker shortage by offering higher salaries. But God Forbid that they make a penny less of each vastly overpriced I product made.

halcyon

Splendid

Great minds think alike.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Send all the unassembled iPhones to the customer. Build your own phone[/citation]
Would never work, that would require common sense.

vegaclaw

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Foxconn's margin is nothing compared to what Apple is getting. They, like most of the Asian CM's, make just 2-3% net margin on big orders like Apple's. Foxconn doesn't really have a choice if they want the business. Apple's kind of stuck with Foxconn as well since it is the only company that can support the mass quantity and the timing required by Apple. Personally, I don't think it's anyone's fault. It's just how the game is played. A few lives for a $600 phone... well, people have died for much less. Apple or Foxconn have never force anyone to buy their products.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Foxconn currently employs more than 150,000 workers to assemble Apple's latest smartphone"

Even if American workers are more productive (are they quicker in putting Screw #1 into hole #1 ?) that is a lot of exported jobs !

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Does anyone know how long it takes the workers at the various stages to assemble a phone?
I mean even if it takes 1 hour to put the few parts together this should not add more than $10 to the phone's cost.

[citation][nom]vegaclaw[/nom]Foxconn's margin is nothing compared to what Apple is getting. They, like most of the Asian CM's, make just 2-3% net margin on big orders like Apple's. Foxconn doesn't really have a choice if they want the business. Apple's kind of stuck with Foxconn as well since it is the only company that can support the mass quantity and the timing required by Apple. Personally, I don't think it's anyone's fault. It's just how the game is played. A few lives for a $600 phone... well, people have died for much less. Apple or Foxconn have never force anyone to buy their products.[/citation]
I agree, except where you say it's nobody's fault. If Apple would let Foxconn have a slightly higher profit/unit produced (even at the "huge" expense of getting a couple bucks less profit per unit sold), on the condition that the extra money goes to the actual workers, there would be no issue. But, because Apple behaves like a greedy bastard, you got this.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I still don't understand why Apple doesn't make an automated factory to put the screws into these devices and assemble them. They keep making them for 3-4 years, so I'm sure the automation would pay for itself.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I still don't understand why Apple doesn't make an automated factory to put the screws into these devices and assemble them. They keep making them for 3-4 years, so I'm sure the automation would pay for itself.[/citation]
...because, unfortunately, underpaid labor is cheaper. I'd gladly, gladly, gladly pay 10-15% more for the products for the workers to be better compensated. I wonder how many folks feel the same?

halcyon

Splendid

They may as well be...the new iPhone 5 and Nano's are pretty sharp hardware. Get it? Sharp hardware.

- from my SGSIII

Status
Not open for further replies.