Apple iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Everyone would want to own one and be the envy of their peers. They want a device that is attractive, well-made and intuitive. That's how Apple sells them by the millions, don't you agree?

lanbaner

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Nvidia has a better GPU. The G3 has a better display. The Note 4 has better camera. Gone are the days were the iPhone was the leader on all fronts. Would be nice to see all the strengths from the competition in one phone. Considering the transition to 20nm for Maxwell early next year we could possibly see an iPhonekiller on all aspects. Although I have to agree that the build quality on the iPhones is always top notch.

M3God

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2004
Other then just sticking to just 1GB internal memory, there is no mention that apple switched to cheaper and slower TLC memory to make more profits while screwing the customer. The TLC memory has been linked to crashes and bootloops that require a trip to the apple store.

aaaas

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
I browse the Web and talk on the phone on Verizon all the time. At least the last two generations of devices have been able to do this... at least for android...

Interesting article, as I've been considering a switch to iphone.

KaptainK

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
" Wi-Fi calling is currently only supported by T-Mobile in the U.S."

Not True! Republic Wireless has been using wi-fi calling for years. Republic also includes a feature where it will hand the call off from wi-fi to cellular if you leave the wi-fi zone during the call. Does the iPhone do this??

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
A. Thanks for including the Lumia 1520 in the comparison chart of phablets, most other sites dont do this.

B. The price for the 6 plus in that same chart ($299) is on contract while every other device price is off contract.

As a whole if you are an iPhone user I am sure you are happy with the changes made to the 6. Outside of that the iPhone "cool factor" ship has sailed and this wont be winning over many Android users.

cmi86

Distinguished
How can this guy sit here and hump apples leg by saying the A8 should be competitive if not class leading when it's competition averages over 1Ghz higher clock speed and 2 more cores.... I know a lot of people doing reviews now a days feel obligated to shine up certain companies and make their products appear in a positive light. This is not that... this is a blatant lie.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
[blockquote]How can this guy sit here and hump apples leg by saying the A8 should be competitive if not class leading when it's competition averages over 1Ghz higher clock speed and 2 more cores.... I know a lot of people doing reviews now a days feel obligated to shine up certain companies and make their products appear in a positive light. This is not that... this is a blatant lie.[/blockquote]

Clock speeds and core counts can be deceptive, the key point here being that Apple's Cyclone cores can execute about twice as many instructions per clock cycle as most of their competitors. This shows up in the benchmarks - the iPhone 6 and 6+ do very well in single threaded tests, though tend to lag behind competitors in multithreaded tests like physics. Note that this is also the approach that Nvidia is taking with their Denver cores - fewer, bigger cores as opposed to more small cores.

How this translates into actual performance will vary of course - most smartphone workflows aren't particularly well threaded so having four cores as opposed to two probably won't make a huge difference in many situations, but I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions.

ZXS

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Due to their zero reading on the black level tests, AMOLED displays are said to have an infinite contrast ratio.

MATT, do you know this is Samsung's marketing BS?

Smartphone displays reflect about 6% of incoming light (which is much more than LCD backlight emits). Actual contrast of AMOLED is worse than that of LCD since the reflections are so high, but maximum brightness is much lower than that of LCD.

ZXS

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
ADDITION: iPad Air 2 is a breakthrough in screen reflection levels, which are down to 2.5% versus 5-6% on any other smartphone/tablet screens. This is the technology to increase actual contrast ratio.

However, none of smartphones have that technology yet. Maybe it will debut in iPhone 6s/6s+ next year.

ZXS

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Image quality suffers primarily from a lack of resolution for both the front and rear cameras, resulting in pictures that can’t match the sharpness and detail shown by competitors like the Note 4 above.

This is purely academic point since there are no screens to see even iPhone's 8 MP resolution, let alone anything higher. On any real screen of any real smartphone, tablet or a PC/Mac (except for Retina) pictures from iPhone look absolutely sharp as their resolution way exceeds capability of screens.

So in real life more consistent quality in average, including absence of insane colour/shadow perversions that Note 4 has at times, makes a better camera.

ZXS

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
M3God said:
Other then just sticking to just 1GB internal memory, there is no mention that apple switched to cheaper and slower TLC memory to make more profits while screwing the customer. The TLC memory has been linked to crashes and bootloops that require a trip to the apple store.

This is pure fantasy, because flash memory was tested and it is even faster than last years fastest flash in a mobile device -- iPhone 5S.

Also, there are no evidence that reboots has happened to any bigger number of consumers than just few.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

There are rumors that Apple has stopped using TLC in some devices for precisely that reason. Nothing confirmed though.

Exactly, these phones hardly had anything upgraded other than size. Today I heard a girl say, "I really want the iPhone 6 since I saw whoever with it". The iPhone consumers could care less about the phoone but they care about the social status it gives them. If they released the iPhone 7 with the exect same hardware and asthetic specs as the iPhone 6, people would still buy it because the majority of people who buy them don't even know what's new! They just want to be able to say "I own the iPhone

Now, the iPhone's GPU did get a tiny upgrade probably to account for the higher res, and the CPU probably a bit where it is unnoticeable. Saying that the iPhone 6 has worse hardware however would be incorrect, that's just pure Apple hate by saying that. No proof.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Not bad specs, not bad benchmarks! Yet I enjoy the ability to transfer files from PC to tablet/phone and not have to worry about conversions, the inability to retrieve them from the later, and the overall middleman hassle that is iTunes. iTunes is horrible, and the biggest reason I personally avoid iStuff.

Sambidhan Sabha

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
first i bought iPhone 6 plus but i couldn't use it quite well because of its size. its too big for everyday use, since i wanted newer iPhone i then bought iPhone 6 and it seems better then iPhone 6 for everyday use. i'm happy with iPhone 6.

since iPhone 6 plus i bought was from AT&T i couldn't sent it back to my home without unlocking. i quicky google and found out i can unlock at very cheaply from http://www.unlockiphones.info .

my brother back home is happy with iPhone 6 plus cuz he likes playing games.

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
It pretty clear that iPhone 6 and 6 + is blowing their high end smartphone competitors for the most part of out of the water! At 80% of the charts show the A8 SoC is not only the leader but by a lot!

g-unit1111

Titan

Define "for the most part". Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 6, and even the LG G3 all have 2560 x 1440 resolutions on their screens, where Apple is just now using 1920 x 1080P. The Note 4 and G3 also have removable storage which can accommodate up to 128GB micro SXHD cards, where the iPhone 6 cannot. I could go on and on.

xTTT

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Good article. But can we get some real world tests please that also include multi-tasking? And I don't mean opening and closing a gazillion apps.

I mean real-world stuff like:
1. maintain a skype call while emailing 5 photos that have to be resized (obviously, use same photo sizes).
2. Update several apps while playing back a 1080p high bit-rate movie.
3. Use Adobe Photo-Touch to enhance and touch up photos using several layers and masks that will tax the system.
4. Upload a large video to Youtube while doing some or all of the tasks above.
5. Upload and download large files from Dropbox while doing some or all of the tasks above.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.