Apple is Now World's Largest PC Company (If Tablets Are PCs)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]Let's see. My Pc have 10 usb ports, sd-card reader, can be expanded with pci, pci-express cards. I can put in more memory, a better CPU. I can attach printers, scanners or whatever I like without problems.I can add more hard drives.If a part breaks, I can put in a new one myself.The Ipad has no USB-ports, no sd-card reader, no expansion ports like pci, you can't put in more memory or change the cpu, you can't add a hard drive, don't know about printing ability but guess it isn't as straight forward as with a pc. And if a part breaks, you are left to a service man doing the job.In now way or form the i-pad is even remotely close to be called a "pc".[/citation]You couldn't have had or done any of that with the earliest PC's and yet they were called PC's. Too many silly people here.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]Let's see. My Pc have 10 usb ports, sd-card reader, can be expanded with pci, pci-express cards. I can put in more memory, a better CPU. I can attach printers, scanners or whatever I like without problems.I can add more hard drives.If a part breaks, I can put in a new one myself.The Ipad has no USB-ports, no sd-card reader, no expansion ports like pci, you can't put in more memory or change the cpu, you can't add a hard drive, don't know about printing ability but guess it isn't as straight forward as with a pc. And if a part breaks, you are left to a service man doing the job.In now way or form the i-pad is even remotely close to be called a "pc".[/citation]
The First IBM PC had none of the features you mentioned. Was it also not a PC even though it defined the term. Please excuse my logical thinking.

wizzlebippi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
[citation][nom]leandrodafontoura[/nom]Microsoft clearly says the tablet is a PC. I dont agree tough.[/citation]

Tablet PC's have existed for a long time, just not as a consumer oriented device. That's why Microsoft made a tablet version of XP and rolled support into Vista and 7. Just like with smart phones, it wasn't until Apple created the iPad that tablets became the gimped, contrived, and inferior devices we have now. But since Apple is doing it, it must be the new trend.

I just hope that when Apple makes an ARM laptop with iOS no one else decides to follow. If the industry does go that direction, our last hope is Windows 8 for ARM.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seriously. Take a step back and think. Is this much whining about a study worth it? Is is not possible for a personal computing device (PC) to be different than the cookie cutter personal computer (PC)? In reality, does it really make one bit of difference?

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
When was the last time you saw an Apple user actually "compute" anything?

They can't even "compute" how overpriced their little shiny toys are. If it's not computing, it's not a computer.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The First IBM PC had none of the features you mentioned. Was it also not a PC even though it defined the term. Please excuse my logical thinking.[/citation]
So you are comparing the iPad to a 25 year old computer? That's the smartest thing I have heard yet.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]You couldn't have had or done any of that with the earliest PC's and yet they were called PC's. Too many silly people here.[/citation]
Though proprietary all of them would allow expansibility, unlike the iPad.

soidier37

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Well seeing as Apple fanboys think that macs are not pc's...then Apple
has never sold a pc in its entire existence and therefore has a zero percent market share!

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Though proprietary all of them would allow expansibility, unlike the iPad.[/citation]The ignorance and silliness increases hereabouts. Read up on early PC's, K2N hater. I'm not an iPad owner though I do have family who use them with Keyboards and printers...doubtless other things can be done.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
If tablets were pc I would not have to carry both a tablet and a laptop with me. There is no way that the
limited experience provided by a device like a tablet can equal that provided by a pc. It is however the case that if you just want to do something not requiring entering text and surfing too much then a table can be useful and can exceed the comfort of using a pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.