Apple Laserwriter 8500 parallel lead?

Hi all,

I have been trying to help a friend today re hooking up an Apple
Laserwriter 8500 to an XP PC.

The ear of the printer seems pretty well adorned with connectors
except the 'best' option (parallel) seems to have a non std sub 'D'
connector?

I did consider using the RJ45 interface but noticed the I/P address
was 0.0.0.0.

I 'think' I downloaded a config utility to run under windows but the
readme says I have to configure the i/p address via the parallel lead!
(doh).

So, anyone know where I can get hold of such a lead please? (or even
if it's worth making the effort ..?)

All the best ..

T i m (UK)

Prior to switching to USB, I think most Apple printers used the serial port.

Bill Crocker

"T i m" <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to help a friend today re hooking up an Apple
> Laserwriter 8500 to an XP PC.
>
> The ear of the printer seems pretty well adorned with connectors
> except the 'best' option (parallel) seems to have a non std sub 'D'
> connector?
>
> I did consider using the RJ45 interface but noticed the I/P address
> was 0.0.0.0.
>
> I 'think' I downloaded a config utility to run under windows but the
> readme says I have to configure the i/p address via the parallel lead!
> (doh).
>
> So, anyone know where I can get hold of such a lead please? (or even
> if it's worth making the effort ..?)
>
> All the best ..
>
> T i m (UK)

Should be a '1284 C' cable. Available at computer shops, computer shows,
eBay, etc. HP used them for a while. Ditto for Tektronix / Xerox.

On 12-Dec-2004, "Bob Kos" <see@text.for.eddress> wrote:

> > I have been trying to help a friend today re hooking up an Apple
> > Laserwriter 8500 to an XP PC.

Replied as to where to get the full manual in .pdf but your address
is BSh** and bounces. What you need is
<laserwriter_8500.pdf> 13-Sep-2002 15:46 18.8M

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05:02 GMT, "Bob Kos" <see@text.for.eddress>
wrote:

>Should be a '1284 C' cable. Available at computer shops, computer shows,
>eBay, etc. HP used them for a while. Ditto for Tektronix / Xerox.

Hmm, I found 1 on ebay and a couple on the net at around 20 quid each?

PC World don't show them that I could see (if you call that a
Computer Shop) .. I'll keep looking.

The problem is we don't know if this 8500 actually works so don't want
to throw too much money at it till we know it does? ;-(

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:09:48 GMT, ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

>On 12-Dec-2004, "Bob Kos" <see@text.for.eddress> wrote:
>
>> > I have been trying to help a friend today re hooking up an Apple
>> > Laserwriter 8500 to an XP PC.
>
>Replied as to where to get the full manual in .pdf but your address
>is BSh** and bounces.

Hmm, it shouldn't do (it's valid and someone else replied to me on
it?)

What you need is
><laserwriter_8500.pdf> 13-Sep-2002 15:46 18.8M

Thaks for that .. I have since found that and confirm that the port we
need to use to configure the printer (even to be able to use the RJ45
port) is a 1284a (DB25 to suit the PC) to 1284c (to suit the 8500).

All the best ..

T i m

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:24:05 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
<wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

>Prior to switching to USB, I think most Apple printers used the serial port.
>
>Bill Crocker

Hi Bill,

Yeah, as did loads of 'PC' printers / plotters in their day ;-)

The serial ones were quite handy as I was able to 'remote' them from
the PC using line drivers or they could easily be hung from PABX's or
comms gear.

I'd have to say this 8500 was a surprise interfaces wise .. such a
choice (especially if you were printing to it from a Mac) .. had the
Centronics connector been 'std' (in the sense of 'common' we might
have been in business *now* ..;-)

All the best ..

T i m

On 13-Dec-2004, T i m <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> Thaks for that .. I have since found that and confirm that the port we
> need to use to configure the printer (even to be able to use the RJ45
> port) is a 1284a (DB25 to suit the PC) to 1284c (to suit the 8500).

Glad you managed to find it.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:13:06 GMT, ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

>On 13-Dec-2004, T i m <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Thaks for that .. I have since found that and confirm that the port we
>> need to use to configure the printer (even to be able to use the RJ45
>> port) is a 1284a (DB25 to suit the PC) to 1284c (to suit the 8500).
>
>Glad you managed to find it.

Well, I've now got the spec at least .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m