Apple Loses iPhone Trademark in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how the system should work as prior people had it but somewhat slow to use (but not a patent troll I think) so even powerful companies cannot take it away from people already using it

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
"Apple has already filed an appeal to see the decision overruled. It argued that Gradiente hasn’t used the iPhone trademark between 2008 and early this year and has thus asked Brazilian regulators to remove the registration."

What retard bullshit is this? Hasnt use doesnt mean you can steal the name. lol

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
This cuts both ways. Also consider that many companies (including apple) are just sitting on certain patents (not just trademarks), holding back general innovation. Companies have a hard time making new products in the tech sector because you end up getting extorted by patent trolls that haven't used their patent for anything in 10 years.

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]This cuts both ways. Also consider that many companies (including apple) are just sitting on certain patents (not just trademarks), holding back general innovation. Companies have a hard time making new products in the tech sector because you end up getting extorted by patent trolls that haven't used their patent for anything in 10 years.[/citation]

I'm sitting here, reading this article and thinking
"Whose side am I supposed to be cheering for?"

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]This cuts both ways. Also consider that many companies (including apple) are just sitting on certain patents (not just trademarks), holding back general innovation. Companies have a hard time making new products in the tech sector because you end up getting extorted by patent trolls that haven't used their patent for anything in 10 years.[/citation]
This has nothing to do with holding back technology and/or innovation.
They are not claiming that Apple should not make and sell their phones in Brazil. They are claiming rights to the name iPhone! That is waaaaaay more reasonable than when Apple tries to prevent anyone from using an Apple logo (or square icons with rounded corners!).. since apples have always been around since before Adam and Eve, but iPhone is not a even a word in any language that I know. All Apple had to do is rename their phone for the Brazilian market (cars have different names in different markets, and so do many Android phones!). It shouldn't hurt their sales that much (not say it won't, just that it shouldn't).. not any more than their absurd claims that their customers can't tell a Samsung apart from an iPhone..

G

Buahahaha! Take THAT Apple!

"But they never expected.. the Brazilians..."

*drumming*

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Ever wonder why so much news on this site is about Apple even when most here seem to hate the brand? Its because it draws attention from both the sheep and the haters - That means more views and thus "a success" story no matter how little the general audience really want to read about it (judging by the comments). The best way to not having a zillion news articles about something you don't want to read is not click on it in the first place just to post a hate comment or two - There is an old saying - Don't feed the troll/writer!

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
422432f774e380528463cd068b6fdb6c.png

LOL!

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]Jobs is a fool.[/citation]
Don't you mean Tim? Jobs' dead.
They lost it during Tim, not Steve. Thus Steve has nothing to be blamed for in this particular case, only Tim.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Gradiente has already said they wil friendly negotiate with Apple and let the iOS iPhone sell. I tottally agree Gradiente should make some money out of this, the law is the law, but let be hones. In 2018 Apple will be still selling handsets, and Gradiente will be fighting bankrupcy, this company has no creativity.

keyholder

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
awww poor crapple.. they should do their homework first instead of thinking they are the owners to everything that begins with I ...

Idiots springs to mind :D

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]leandrodafontoura[/nom]Gradiente has already said they wil friendly negotiate with Apple and let the iOS iPhone sell. I tottally agree Gradiente should make some money out of this, the law is the law, but let be hones. In 2018 Apple will be still selling handsets, and Gradiente will be fighting bankrupcy, this company has no creativity.[/citation]
Like Apple

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
There are some 200 countries on the planet.
Coming up with a name for a product that is readable, can be easily spelled, makes sense in the product context, has not been registered in any of the 200 countries, does not sound close to anything in any of the 200 countries and does not have an unpleasant meaning in any of the 200 countries is virtually impossible.

Examples of language foul ups:
Chevy 'Nova' in Latin America (
TV Show Frazier used the 'f' word unedited several times in one of the shows; albeit in German so it went right past the censors :)
Google for other examples. It is a PR person's nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.