Review Apple MacBook Air (2020) Review: Return to Form

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
After seeing a review showing a slower laptop with a shorter battery life and higher price tags than its competitors, the hammer seems to be the only reasonable option :p

Reactions: bit_user
As always with Apple,less for more $.
You are paying for the logo not the hardware.
Just like all apple phone covers have a big hole in the back so everyone can see the logo. Less material than other covers but it cost lots more.
And yeah my first impulse was to use the hammer on it also.:evil:

Reactions: Gurg

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Just like all apple phone covers have a big hole in the back so everyone can see the logo. Less material than other covers but it cost lots more.
And yeah my first impulse was to use the hammer on it also.:evil:
The extra cost is justified based on the Apple user experience compared to the Google(Chromebook) or Microsoft(Windows) user experience.
If cost is the issue, the only real choice is Chromebook which is 1/2 of the cost of the Microsoft solution, and far easier to support from an IT perspective.
If you want a great user experience where almost everything works and will continue to work, go with Apple.
It's getting harder and harder to justify going with the Windows solution.

The big thing missing from the review is a comparison between the MacbookAir 2020 and 2019 models.

The extra cost is justified based on the Apple user experience compared to the Google(Chromebook) or Microsoft(Windows) user experience.
If cost is the issue, the only real choice is Chromebook which is 1/2 of the cost of the Microsoft solution, and far easier to support from an IT perspective.
If you want a great user experience where almost everything works and will continue to work, go with Apple.
It's getting harder and harder to justify going with the Windows solution.

The big thing missing from the review is a comparison between the MacbookAir 2020 and 2019 models.
I would never buy a Chromebook, Microsoft Surface or Apple product.
They are all a waste of money in my opinion.
So saying Apple is the better of the three is not saying much and still puts it near the bottom of the list.
At least with windows pro I can delay updates until I know they will not crash my computers, unlike Apple or Chrome.
I can also disable almost all of the tracking,data mining,email collecting, contacts collecting etc..... and still have a functioning computer.
Not so with Apple or chrome.
So saying overpaying for the Apple user experience is a good thing is your opinion. Not FACT.

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
It's not either one or the other.
For my daughter, the MacBook Air is currently the best choice.
Personally I prefer working on a Linux server farm with 1000+ or more CPUs behind a serious firewall; but this is for work. I run applications that run out of RAM when less than 128GB is partitioned. For my customers, I have a custom motherboard running a proprietary version of Linux. For my personal use, I haven't decided what to get next- High end Windows desktop, cheaper laptop, or high end laptop.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I worked with a Mac head (a convert, actually) who said the price premium was just a way of paying for the software.

Me: "okay, the PC laptop I just bought was $1500 and the equivalent Powerbook is $3k. If MacOS is worth $1500 to you, then have at it!"