Review Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch (M1) Review: a Shot in the Arm

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
The port selection and layout is shameful. Just shameful.

Why can't laptop manufacturers learn that the headphone jack belongs on the left side, where the wire would be out of the way? Practically all wired headphones have the wire coming out of the left earcup.

Apple's specs don't mention NFC. It is essential for secure pairing of Bluetooth devices that don't have a USB port.
(The NFC pairing protocol is also a standard, while there is no standard for out-of-band pairing over USB. Apple's keyboards and mice pair over USB using an Apple-proprietary protocol)

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Well , Apple should start making 2 in one Mac pros .. Now that the iOS / Ipad pro software will work on the MAbook pro , there is no point in ignoring two in one Macbook pro with Apple Pencil support.

Another thing I want Tomshardware to test is the TB3 compatibility .. with current TB3 in the market that are labeled compatible with intel based MacBook pro

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
Cool but, can it run Cyberpunk 2077? now seriously the low power consumption is a win but i would like to see adobe PS, Ai, AE, Pr Pro and/or Final Cut Pro and audio edition production software compared to intel Macs since thats what most people would be using in a macbook pro

Dec 15, 2020
The following codecs are supported: (take a guess?). Such as AV1? VP9 etc.
Also tested: media playback (4K HDR supported).........

Reported issues: (take a guess?) Bluetooth dropouts, TB/USB C port runs at USB3 (5Gbps) speed only, when using USB 3.2 Gen 2 SSD drives, WiFi 6 implementation slower than Intel's etc.

TB3/USB4 type C ports supports the following protocols: (take a guess?). Such as (ALT Mode) DisplayPort 1.4 DSC? Can it be used with a 2160p/4K, 10bit, HDR, 120Hz monitor @ full RGB full chroma support?

All in all, some testing would be nice with some peripherals people commonly use, then maybe a review.

As far as the Mac Mini M1 is concerned, when can we expect HDMI 2.1? Maybe DP 2.0 (Alt Mode?).

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I'm rather envious of the M1 performance. I wish Microsoft could put this much effort into the Surface Pro X.

Sure, they have a totally different business model to Apple, but still, dreams are free...

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
The test result shows Apple does not have any better design result than Intel's CPU or graphics; in fact, Apple has less power efficient than Intel's in spite of claimed 5nm design vs Intel's 10 nm Xe. That shows the science in Intel is far better than anyone else even at this stage.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
The test result shows Apple does not have any better design result than Intel's CPU or graphics; in fact, Apple has less power efficient than Intel's in spite of claimed 5nm design vs Intel's 10 nm Xe. That shows the science in Intel is far better than anyone else even at this stage.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Which tests are you referring to? The tests I have seen show that the M1 is very efficient.

Reactions: panathas
Dec 18, 2020
The port selection and layout is shameful. Just shameful.
It has 4 USB port, it's the same or more than any lenovo or Dell laptop we have around in the office. I have a lenovo X1, it has 4 USB ports, headphone hack on the right (like all new laptops I think)
even 4 ports seems too much. I never use more than 2.

Why can't laptop manufacturers learn that the headphone jack belongs on the left side, where the wire would be out of the way? Practically all wired headphones have the wire coming out of the left earcup.
I doubt so many manufacturers who be wrong and you alone would be right. people have asked for the port to be on the right side. and they have listened.
I check most laptop in the office (Dell, Lenovo and apple). All have the headphone jack on the right side now. I found very old lenovo and apple models in the e-bin with the headphone on the left. A thing of the past. Good riddance.

right side is the best side. It's where the remote control is, most people are right handed and prefer to use the right ear to put their buds during video calls.

Don't think like a boomer, headphone jack should be banned from laptop. I get that some people wants wire for better audio than over bluetooth. They should use a USB DAC for much better audio than the <Mod Edit> 3.5 jack with sub-par DAC.
And a USB DAC can go either left or right of your laptop to satisfy all people including weirdos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2020
that goes against everything I've read so far about the M1. you must be a genius and all others are ignorant.
Can you share your research papers?