Apple Making Big Profits, Disses Netbooks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hmm... I don't know about you Mr. Cook, but I'd rather not be sitting in class and take notes on a touch screen, thanks.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
"With the iPad in terms of netbooks — to me it’s a no brainer. It’s sort of 100 to 0. I can’t think of a single thing a netbook does well."

I can think of a few things that netbooks can do and the ipad cant at all...

albion000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
"With the iPad in terms of netbooks — to me it’s a no brainer. It’s sort of 100 to 0. I can’t think of a single thing a netbook does well."

It has USB ports, is user-serviceable, largely customizable, runs business-class applications (if slowly), and leaves another $200+ in your wallet? I mean, those aren't exactly ACTIVE things, but still. Having played around with an iPad, it's obvious they aren't really products for the same styles of use despite the overlap.

Hopefully version 2 of the iPad will beef up the processor a little (CULV?), make the battery and drive accessible, and support USB peripherals and SD memory cards. Not holding my breath on these, but with a little more of an open platform it COULD be a netbook-killer.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Cook's comments are retarded.

Here is a good video from the onion.com It's not as stupid as what Cook said.

http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/

How many words per minute can be typed on the iPad? I can type about 65 on a keyboard. My friend types over 90 wpm. Students that buy this instead of a netbook should be kicked out of school for being dumb.

I am shocked that a COO would say such a thing.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Off the top of my head (and note he didn't say well compared to the iPad):

1. Web browsing
2. Printing
3. Forfeiting IP addresses
4. Portability
5. USB
6. VGA out
7. HDMI out
8. Bluetooth
More?
EDIT:
9. Flash/Silverlight (thanks below)
10. Run Windows (or OSX for that matter)
11. Open application support
12. Word Processing
13. Skype/VoIP
14. Read optical media
15. Read SD cards

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Well, other than the fact I despise all Apple products with the exception of their Macbook Pro line, this is wonderful news for my Apple stock.

Good job Apple, your making my wallet happy.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I hope this doesn't turn into the next Mac vs PC. iPad vs Netbook.

Please no. The iPad is pretty useless in so many ways. It does stuff that we accomplish perfectly with other things and doesn't required to be charged and lugged around...

Scenario: Guy finishing his presentation handout sheets and the presentation itself while on the subway. He realized he had some faulty information and needed to correct it before he handing it out.

Guy: "Just finished editing my Keynote and Pages document" Gets in his office building... "I will just go to desk and print it out" Gets to his office only to be denied by the lack of a print feature....

Sad face. Gets fired for not having a presentation...

----

So if I have a $500 device something like a print feature would be a "no brainer". Especially if you are marketing productivity suites on the device. Even if they allowed the dock connector to plug into a printer via USB and print through there. Even better, wireless networking printing. This is Apple, not HP, not Dell. Apple is supposed to make the best stuff, supposedly. (According to themselves) Make something that actually does something.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
"With the iPad in terms of netbooks — to me it’s a no brainer. It’s sort of 100 to 0."

He's quite confused as to what people need and why people buy netbooks. 100 to 0 in favor of the netbook is more like it.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
apple just has no credibility with their "everything we do is perfect in every way and markets we aren't in are stupid, pointless and only populated by the unclean masses who are yet to be enlightened by the Apple way" promotion that every single person who works there seems to have.

its just not believable.

I could sit here and think about how wrong this latest statement is, but I don't have to. I know every word that comes out of an Apple employees mouth is meaningless propaganda.

Its a bit like the boy who cried wolf. maybe one day they actually will make a product that is as awesome as they make it sound. and i'll just disregard it as their normal propaganda. I don't think it really does them any favours.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Ipad is awesome for 299 anything over 399 and its a ripoff. Netbooks do lots of things way better than ipad most importantly surf internet faster.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
The thing is, if Apple made a Netbook, it'd sell just as well. All their brainswashed (semi-retarded at that) customers will buy anything they release, no matter the quality. Hell, the iPad has absolutely no features that most people would deem "mandatory" and look how quickly they're selling.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]I can think of a few things that netbooks can do and the ipad cant at all...[/citation]

Like multitasking, having a real keyboard, support for third party apps, having a real OS...

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[citation][nom]bonezy[/nom]Hmm... I don't know about you Mr. Cook, but I'd rather not be sitting in class and take notes on a touch screen, thanks.[/citation]
i found it hard enough typing notes, so i just went back to the old-fashioned method: pencil and paper.

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thedreadfather[/nom]Off the top of my head (and note he didn't say well compared to the iPad):1. Web browsing2. Printing3. Forfeiting IP addresses4. Portability5. USB6. VGA out7. HDMI out8. BluetoothMore?[/citation]

Flash

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I love how jobs calls the ipad revolutionary, whats revolutionary about it? its just a big ipod touch.
Sounds like he's insecure about the ipad by constantly putting down netbooks instead of letting their product do the talking.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bonezy[/nom]Hmm... I don't know about you Mr. Cook, but I'd rather not be sitting in class and take notes on a touch screen, thanks.[/citation]

I'd rather not take notes on a netbook either to be perfectly. I don't want anything from this product category.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]I can think of a few things that netbooks can do and the ipad cant at all...[/citation]
Then use a bluetooth keyboard or the keyboard dock?

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Netbook has saved me in college.

1000he -> can take notes well, plus when my desktop died it has been my only source of a computer (can't wait until august!)

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]thedreadfather[/nom]Off the top of my head (and note he didn't say well compared to the iPad):1. Web browsing2. Printing3. Forfeiting IP addresses4. Portability5. USB6. VGA out7. HDMI out8. BluetoothMore?EDIT:9. Flash/Silverlight (thanks below)10. Run Windows (or OSX for that matter)11. Open application support12. Word Processing13. Skype/VoIP14. Read optical media15. Read SD cards[/citation]
Actually...a lot of your points are just plain wrong.

1. it can browse the web, probably faster than a netbook at that
3. a bug...will be fixed
4. Portability? Really? It weighs 1.5 pounds and is thinner than a netbook..
5. USB. I'm still trying to figure out what it is that people want from USB on an iPad. Either way, it has it via the camera kit, and will work with more than just cameras
6. VGA dongle is available.
7. No HDMI yet but component dongle is available.
8. It has Bluetooth
10. Now you're just talking semantics, if the OS is able to get the job done...
11. Has word processing, wtf are you trying to pull?
12. Has Skype/VoIP - you haven't looked into this much, have you?
14. Reads SD cards with the camera kit

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]I hope this doesn't turn into the next Mac vs PC. iPad vs Netbook.Please no. The iPad is pretty useless in so many ways. It does stuff that we accomplish perfectly with other things and doesn't required to be charged and lugged around...Scenario: Guy finishing his presentation handout sheets and the presentation itself while on the subway. He realized he had some faulty information and needed to correct it before he handing it out.Guy: "Just finished editing my Keynote and Pages document" Gets in his office building... "I will just go to desk and print it out" Gets to his office only to be denied by the lack of a print feature....Sad face. Gets fired for not having a presentation...----So if I have a $500 device something like a print feature would be a "no brainer". Especially if you are marketing productivity suites on the device. Even if they allowed the dock connector to plug into a printer via USB and print through there. Even better, wireless networking printing. This is Apple, not HP, not Dell. Apple is supposed to make the best stuff, supposedly. (According to themselves) Make something that actually does something.[/citation]

Right, the guy couldn't email the presentation? There are no other computers in that building? Who uses a netbook for business purposes?

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Well what you expect? Apple is scared of their friggin mind as they should be. Netbooks are getting better and better. All apple does is copy PC hardware slap a big Apple logo along with a nice finish and then markup at least 100%. Apple is all about BRAND POWER. And netbooks are getting better we are having dual core netbooks soon as well. And if you upgrade with a modest gpu you can run some neat shader apps so yeah really apple is that the best you can do is play the public opinon polls?

Status
Not open for further replies.