Apple May Be Digging AMD's Fusion APU

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
AMD should have been catering to software companies long ago about their stream API. a fusion processor isn't as attractive unless you have the software to support it.

not to demean the APU in the least, it's just they are way behind when it comes to software support.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Please don't taint AMD's success with an Apple rumor, your article is shedding a bad light on the manufacturer.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
eventhou now i dont own a AMD laptop or desktop
but this APU looks promising, might try one in the future
future laptop will be more smaller i guess ~

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
AMD is the only future for Apple right now. Intel has forced Apple's hand with its "I'm taking my ball and going home" lawsuit against Nvidia about Nvidia's chipset manufacturing license (i.e. Nvidia cannot make chipsets for Intel's latest processors). The reason is simple, graphics. Yes, Intel SandyBridge is including GPU-capabilities on-die, but that's not enough for mainstream and enthusiast users. Apple still needs a discrete-option, and right now, only AMD offers Chipsets + Discrete GPU solutions. Nvidia can provide GPUs, but they can't provide motherboards and chipsets for Intel. Intel can provide chipsets, but they have no discrete option.

Apple doesn't want to go to multiple vendors (that defeats the whole "it just works" philosophy). They want a single provider. AMD can offer a CPU Chipset+GPU solution at every level (on-die with Fusion to discrete with Radeon). It just makes sense with Apple's business strategy.

Still, knowing Apple, it will be overpriced.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I can only see Fusion for the Mac Books. For their work station PCs, I don't see them moving away from a high end quad core and discrete workstation grade GPU.[/citation]

But that high end quad core could very well be a bulldozer design combined with a radeon gpu when it's time for the next upgrade of the mac line in about 6-7 months time.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
You can already create a hackintosh with an AMD chip. I did it with my mine. You just need the right version to support your CPU.

ryan156

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
it would be kinda logical, Apple PCs tend to avoid higher power GPUs, keep to a smaller footprint with regards space etc, so a decent integrated solution would appeal to them. Still as yet we have no idea how the Fusion will perform as a CPU or a GPU so it's difficult to speculate.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
One thing that I have found about Apple Mac users is that when they used Motorola CPU's at first,I.B.M. was the enemy and mac users talked bad about I.B.M.

Then mac users when Apple "switched" to the I.B.M. Power PC CPU talked bad about Intel.

Then mac users when Apple again "switched" to using Intel CPU's talked bad about AMD (yes,I see this recently on forums where Mac users occasionally visit.

How ironic it would be if Mac users started using AMD CPU's in some of their models.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I hope for AMD to capture the market. But as i said before, they need to push their GPGPU software support.

I dont get why AMD is not as active as nVidia when it comes to software support. They are releasing APU's and yet there is not many STREAM or OpenCL apps

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
"Apple may or may not be eyeballing AMD's upcoming Fusion APUs."
That was the opening statement of this artical in bold, at the time of my post.. in case it gets changed later.
I just want to say, what an incredibly pointless sentence that only clarifies that you simply don't know something.. duhh.. thanks for sharing with us what you DO NOT know...

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
artical? Did I say that? oh shucks.. the corrector needs correcting.. yes yes.. I know it's article.. I don't know what to say.. Mental typo? Dark forces at play teaching me humility? touché..

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I want to see a application of these little GPU's beside the CPU's.
For those who get have a discreet card, this is a 100% idle GPGPU, why not make use?
If a Macintosh receives this before Windows, then so be, as long as someone finally does it.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Apple is a smart investor and AMD better pull this out.
I personally love AMD and want them to get better so i can enjoy more performance in budget.

I see why Apple would be interested in Fusion. Much more performance than some crappy Intel integrated graphics, and with NVidia not presenting much of a competition Fusion is the natural choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS