Apple May Have Cut Kepler GPUs From Some New MacBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Its good for every industry that companies have more than one supplier of "the same thing".
Having a more even cake distribution ussualy means more effort on suppliers to make their products better.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
That's too bad... but since when did Apple care about performance?

It's also strange (to me) that Intel would delay Ivy Bridge because of Apple; because Intel would have known beforehand that Apple would want processors- and they'd need the same number anyways even with a Keplar GPU.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
OMG you won't be able to play on Apple laptops ... oh wait nothing new there :p

ps: i know there are exceptions so don't start quoting the few rare titles out there :p don't care now , tomorrow or ever about it :) PC's > apple in gaming :p

G

I have a toshiba with Intel intigrated graphics, fat chance getting updated opengl drivers through intel, as they let toshiba write custom opengl drivers and Toshiba will only upgrade these openGL drivers when hell freezes over!!! Intel if you create a graphics chip you should update the drivers like AMD or Nvidia and never let the OEM write the graphics drivers for Intel HDgraphics!!!

G

LuckyDucky nailed it. This would not require a single extra Ivy Bridge CPU than it otherwise would have, the onboard graphics were coming with it regardless of whether they were being used or not. If I had to guess, Intel just requested that the media spin it that way, in the same manner that Intel delays are never really delays... Not that Intel has complete and total control of the tech media.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]OMG you won't be able to play on Apple laptops ... oh wait nothing new there ps: i know there are exceptions so don't start quoting the few rare titles out there don't care now , tomorrow or ever about it PC's > apple in gaming[/citation]

Always have to have the reference to pc being a dominate gaming machine. How about the people who actually use a GPU for something other than a hobby?

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]Always have to have the reference to pc being a dominate gaming machine. How about the people who actually use a GPU for something other than a hobby?[/citation]

Thank you! The 6750m in mine is more than enough for the photoshop work I use it for. However it's also perfectly fine for playing games with. Maybe with a few lowered settings of course. But hey! Looks better on this that its console counterpart. :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]Always have to have the reference to pc being a dominate gaming machine. How about the people who actually use a GPU for something other than a hobby?[/citation]
If you don't play games then integrated graphics do a perfectly good job, and if you say you need a dedicated GPU because you like to benchmark high or "fold" then that's like saying you want to buy a Ferrari so you can pop down the shops to pick up some groceries.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
LOL Keplers in Apples, what a waste of good GPU power. I guess Apple figured out that their users don't need 600 series GPUs to browse facebook and edit bad youtube videos lol.

And back_by_demand hits the nail on the head. MACs are terrible at gaming (what little selection that have). Outside of gaming, most low end integrated GPUs and APUs are more then enough for everything else.

You don't need a bobcat bulldozer to dig a 1 foot hole.

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]That's too bad... but since when did Apple care about performance? It's also strange (to me) that Intel would delay Ivy Bridge because of Apple; because Intel would have known beforehand that Apple would want processors- and they'd need the same number anyways even with a Keplar GPU.[/citation]

Yes but if you read Charlie's article you would learn that Apple originally wanted ULV chips with GT1 graphics. Now they want ULV chips with GT2 graphics which are low yielding parts. It would have taken time for Intel to shift production to meet Apple's order.

It doesn't make sense to start a major launch while there is a huge shift in fab production. With no pressure from AMD to release a better product, a couple weeks of delay in order for the launch to go smoothly is worth it.

GozerHozer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I thought Apple only made iPhones.. Honestly being in the IT field for 16 years any person who knows anything about IT does not use Apple.
I work in the Oil fields of Alberta Canada for 8 years now and not one Apple in our network, never has been and never will.
Linux and Windows..

Any person who bitches about using Apple does not make money using a PC, does not now anything about IT.
I predict in 10 years Apple will be a bad dream and no more.
Just too bad Steve Jobs did not take Apple with him.. yeah I said it..
I will never support an Apple on my network ever.

Even their phones suck, Blackberry, Samsung Galaxy, HTC all the way.
I would love to see a profile of the type of person who uses an Apple...
I feel dirty, degusted to even think of it..lol

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]LOL Keplers in Apples, what a waste of good GPU power. I guess Apple figured out that their users don't need 600 series GPUs to browse facebook and edit bad youtube videos lol.And back_by_demand hits the nail on the head. MACs are terrible at gaming (what little selection that have). Outside of gaming, most low end integrated GPUs and APUs are more then enough for everything else.You don't need a bobcat bulldozer to dig a 1 foot hole.[/citation]

Apple may use Keplers "only" on their higher end MacBooks, but not for gaming. That is because professionals using Mac Books for production or even science on OSX and W7 on the same machine may benefit from a very powerful GPU, but mostly because of CUDA programing language. How would I know this? Because I use my PC for 3D content creation and I cannot think of any AMD GPU at present time. So I could only salivate with their new offerings anyway.

Personally, I would consider a big mistake from Apple not supporting CUDA on a Mac Book. I may be interested in an upcoming Mac Book but only if they include a GPU from Nvidia and the more powerful the better.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If you don't play games then integrated graphics do a perfectly good job, and if you say you need a dedicated GPU because you like to benchmark high or "fold" then that's like saying you want to buy a Ferrari so you can pop down the shops to pick up some groceries.[/citation]
Not all people use dedicated GPUs just for gaming, they also have other uses. Or do you think that Nvidia has the Quadro and ATI the FirePro for gamers? Now the integrated GPU may be enough for people that want to browse the web or edit text, spreadsheet,... documents. Some people need the power of a dedicated GPU like for example running 3D CAD, modeling, animation, rendering,... software.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]fiduce[/nom]Tab54o : they need graphic cards because the Thunderbolt ports needs a display port.[/citation]
The Intel HD Graphics 3000 and 2000 support DisplayPort, I'm pretty sure that Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 2500 will also support DisplayPort.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
GozerHozer

"I thought Apple only made iPhones..
Any person who bitches about using Apple does not make money using a PC, does not now anything about IT.
I predict in 10 years Apple will be a bad dream and no more.
I would love to see a profile of the type of person who uses an Apple...
I feel dirty, degusted to even think of it.. lol"

This is not an IT article but you just want to start another bad opinion war on Macs and PCs.
And you just revealed your very personal profile...

I worked for BP in the IT department and they migrated from Macs more than a decade ago. Most IT guys there did not took Apple seriously, right, but not until Apple came with OSX. But the point is stop bragging so much as if you were the only experienced pro posting here. There is much more business and science beyond the oil industry.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]GozerHozer[/nom]I thought Apple only made iPhones.. Honestly being in the IT field for 16 years any person who knows anything about IT does not use Apple.I work in the Oil fields of Alberta Canada for 8 years now and not one Apple in our network, never has been and never will.Linux and Windows..Any person who bitches about using Apple does not make money using a PC, does not now anything about IT.I predict in 10 years Apple will be a bad dream and no more.Just too bad Steve Jobs did not take Apple with him.. yeah I said it..I will never support an Apple on my network ever.Even their phones suck, Blackberry, Samsung Galaxy, HTC all the way.I would love to see a profile of the type of person who uses an Apple... I feel dirty, degusted to even think of it..lol[/citation]

You my friend really showed your ignorance. There is no profile for Apple users. You have been watching to many TV commercials. Juniper, IBM (post Thinkpad) all did massive internal test with their users using Macbook Pros. Less than 3% where returned. I know several CCIE's and a coupe quad CCIE's that use Macbook Pro's. I have been in IT for over 16 years and in security specifically for over 12 years and have seen some extremely crazy stuff. I am a CISSP, CCSE+, RHCE, SCNA, CCNA and a Mile 2 CPTS and currently am a lead engineer for a major SIEM provider and I use a Mac as well as Windows.

You really are in a bubble if you think that no one uses a Mac. If you like Linux you would like a Mac if you used it. BSD under a nice GUI interface. You can access root with a sudo su no problem and there is a repository of linux applications that compile using gcc on OSX.

All kinds of really sharp people use Mac's just as all kind of sharp people use Windows and some like myself use both depending on what I am doing. Personally, I play games on Windows and work on a Mac and only use windows when I have to use an application like Visio or Check Point Smart Dashboard client both of which have no Mac versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS