Apple Pay Already Highly Successful Despite MCX Merchants Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslucher

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Love it. Apple makes headlines and people think they are just paying for it. Even if they are, hello it indirectly helps Google Wallet. And to the hacking comments, NFC has been on the market for how long and Apple adds security, an open protocol the rarity in that alone.... And yet people still claim hack! Cool, my debit cards an be hacked in a second with the magnetic tape used, some thrill there.

f-14

Distinguished
apple pay has already been hacked, it's been found that apple pay has not been downloaded more than a hundred thousands times which means every download would have to be conducting over 10 transactions..furthermore the payments are all being routed to banks in ukraine and russia. the credit card companies are keeping a very close eye on this but the banks involved are trying to keep this hush hush.

thieves are already using scam tricks of photographs of other users phone receipt screen shots which they display on their own phones to store personnel to walk off with lots of items. further proof their is no substitute for store receipts.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Good news, I'm quite happy with this development.

Now, MCX merchants like Walmart et al should stop whining and complaining about it.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Where is your proof that Apple pay has been hacked!! Frankly I think you are outright lying to everyone here. You quote absolutely no source to qualify your claim. So proved to me you sir are not just a liar!!! And for the Apple haters commenting; I will bet that within 6 months this feature will be standard on every new Android phone sold. When that happens it will suddenly be such a great idea to use your phone to pay for stuff instead of pulling out the plastic. I don't own a single Apple product and never have, nothing to do with the quality or services they offer, just too expensive for my tastes! But for people to comment with lies and deception when they know they have no clue what they are talking about is just silly.

wiad

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I don't understand all the hate towards Apple. Every time Apple releases a new product or feature people are always screaming about how Apple stole it or their product sucks. There is nothing horrible about Apple pay. If it is successful, great! That means more choices for the consumer. If not, oh well.

I believe that the majority of people on Tomshardware suck eggs at supporting their opinions. They give no proof but are all just haters and complainers.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
can't be hacked. apple never has the credit card number. Only your device has the credit card number, and even then, it's stored on a locked down chip inside your phone. It's not even stored in memory, it's pulled directly from the RAM on the NFC chip.

Then there's the fact that you need a fingerprint.

Get this: even if you had the fingerprint, you'd still have to have physical access to the phone, and hope the owner has not noticed it's missing, to do any sort of fraud or data mining.

And even if you had physical access, in order to data mine, you would have to tear the phone apart, Desoldier the nfc chip, and rip it's contents. But guess what? its all encrypted.

I know a lot of you don't like apple and i'm with ya on a few things, but you have to appreciate just how flawless the security of this system is. You can keep waiting for hacks, they won't happen.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I will bet that within 6 months this feature will be standard on every new Android phone sold. When that happens it will suddenly be such a great idea to use your phone to pay for stuff instead of pulling out the plastic.
Wait, you've never heard of Google Wallet and other pre-existing NFC payment systems?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Really? So the hackers are going to get into your bank I presume? Because there's NOTHING hackers can get from Apple or your iPhone. Apple doesn't store anything so there's nothing to steal from them. And your iPhone only contains a token that was generated and provided by your bank. The only ones who can somehow link your token to your card are your bank.

Even if someone does manage to hack your phone to get your token, they STILL can't fool the bank to charge something because they're missing the cryptogram that goes with it. And your TouchID data.

It's 100 times easier to just steal your actual card, or monitor the network traffic at a store to capture cards.

idajava

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
"With CurrentC, the user has to scan the QR code of every product, and then show them to the cashier."

This is 100% false. As it is currently designed (it is still in beta development and things could change), the user scans a QR code that represents the entire transaction, and then the payment is made. In other words, this system will work with practically any phone made in the last 5+ years that has a camera and the CurrentC app, unlike Apple Pay that locks non-Apple users out. I wouldn't have a problem with Apple Pay if they licensed the tech to other companies, but they didn't and they won't. They want to control the entire mobile payments system ala digital music and iTunes. Apple's goal is not as noble as the iLovers make it out to be, and the stores who are not allowing it right now are the stores who are cognizant of what Apple did to digital music.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I really wouldn't trust NFC for large transactions. It's quite easy to fool the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone for example, and a thief could have made 10s if not 100s of purchases before the phone has been reported.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
@idajava "hey want to control the entire mobile payments system ala digital music and iTunes."

Um no, Apple pay should be for...Apple phones... Simple. Google wallet has its own base on Android phones. Is it a crime for each phone to have its own payment system?

The people who are not allowing Apple pay are also not allowing other NFC payment forms like Google wallet. This move in ITSELF, is so clear in showing that retailers don't even care about the customers but rather themselves since the only reason they support CurrenC is so THEY don't have to pay fees that it's unbelievable.

wiad

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

I wouldn't say it is easy to fool TouchID. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is near impossible to use Apple pay without the owner. In addition if a thief did manage to steal your phone they wouldn't have your fingerprint and once you noticed that your phone was gone you could locate it and disable it.

f-14

Distinguished
maddad. how many people between you and obama? me 1 with 8 different people. 3 of which are secret service i have personal hours long talks with monthly...YOU DO KNOW WHAT THE SECRET SERVICES PRIMARY JOBS ARE RIGHT? how much did Apple pay obama in the last election, let alone the DNC....more than enough to buy secrecy inorder to protect apple stock holders like tim cook and crew. and yes the SS even specifically said they were trying to keep it under wraps and said nobody will officially know for atleast a year or 3 or 5 or 10 or 50 if it will hurt apples stock. you do KNOW how american political campaign contributions work don't you ? ya i'm not pro communist if you can't figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS