Question Apple Power Macintosh G5 Dual Core

Apr 6, 2019
My machine just stopped working. When I push the power button I hear it start and within seconds it is off? Any idea of what has happened. BTW I usually leave my machine on 24/7 and have an external usb cooling fan too.

Thanks,
Bob

Dave8671

Distinguished
It can be hardware failure like the hard drive, ram, power supply. If I had to diagnose this I would

-It powers up for a sec than stops- this could indicate ram issue or power issue, motherboard died etc.

A hard disk drive failure would not stop the mac from stay on. You would see nothing on the screen.

I suggest taking it to a repair shop that deals with macs. Or if you need to find another G5 there are many due core 2.0 and up models in ebay for 60 and up. Just read the description first make sure its functional.

Edit one more think get a warranty from squaretrade.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
Just to add some possibilities, all likely possible and some of them hard to impossible to recover from ...

- The quartz got cooked, than baked, then crumbled like cookies. Virtually can not be replaced. - At least not in a sane way.

- A capacitor blew. Easily to be spotted in eyesight. - Can be repaired and may be worth it; If you can do it yourself and already have the tools. - Otherwise: watch out for a replacement.

- A colony of wool-mice spun a rich textured pad made of dust. - The dust devil likes to digests those filthy ahem, felt-ish .. pads. - Let him have its will, clean up and out carefully; If you are lucky the cooler can spin freely and actually let the hardware breathe again, so the sensors do not ring the alarm and instant-kill the power-supply to avoid bad bad burnings ...

---

Hope it helps. Probably maybe possible ... Thanks for reading.