News Apple Releases M2 Pro and M2 Max: 20 Percent Faster, Up to 19 GPU Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
“80 percent faster than MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i9 processor.”

All while maintaining very low power consumption.

ARM is taking the sledgehammer to x86.

Can't wait for next gen's ARM on Windows systems. Hopefully Microsoft gets their act together, because Apple is in a league of its own right now.

Last edited:

RandomWan

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022

Can't wait for next gen's ARM on Windows systems. Hopefully Microsoft gets their act together, because Apple is in a league of its own right now.

That's a 9th gen processor and a claim of superiority at one task with no actual benchmark numbers to backup the claim. I'll wait for real world results against the latest in Intel/AMD.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

I'm no Intel fan, but you are comparing Apple's brand new processor to an Intel processor that is 4 generations old. 80% isn't all that exciting when you are talking about 4 generations back.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Okay, lets see them run AAA PC games.

If wanting to play games on a PC but stay away from Windows the best bet is to move to Linux. Apple hasn't seemed to take gaming seriously for many years and the move to ARM introduces a complication. Meanwhile Valve is extremely hungry and doing everything it can to serve gaming customers and has been for well over a decade.

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
As I expected, minor improvements with the expense of power. This is how it is when you stay on the same node.

hannibal

Distinguished

The problem of Windows is that it try to maintain compatibility with older programs... That makes it really hard to make good ARM windows (without losing that compatibility) So I don´t expect big jump of ARM in windows, unless you use Windows S or what ever that strip down Windows is at this moment.

Reactions: RandomWan

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
The problem of Windows is that it try to maintain compatibility with older programs... That makes it really hard to make good ARM windows (without losing that compatibility) So I don´t expect big jump of ARM in windows, unless you use Windows S or what ever that strip down Windows is at this moment.

I strongly disagree with this. When the first M1 Mac came out there was no ARM based software yet it ran everything the x86 versions did (all be it a slower than their later to come native counter parts). If MS invested the time and money into decent translation like Apple did, they could make it just as compatible as Apple did with their software.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
If wanting to play games on a PC but stay away from Windows the best bet is to move to Linux. Apple hasn't seemed to take gaming seriously for many years and the move to ARM introduces a complication. Meanwhile Valve is extremely hungry and doing everything it can to serve gaming customers and has been for well over a decade.
I’ve been gaming on PC’s since the early 90’s and Windows is still the premier platform for gaming. It’s not perfect because nothing ever is but I don’t have a problem with Windows.

Yes Linux is available to play games but gamers vote with their wallets and Windows is still king. Steam offers Linux games but it probably doesn’t register hardly at all in marketshare. I find things break less with commercial OS’s like mac OS and Windows versus Linux. I do have a Linux PC but I don’t game on it because developers mostly target Windows and not Linux.

Reactions: bit_user

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

Wine does work quite well on Mac, the problem is Apple in their typical closed-system nonsense refuse to support Vulkan, so if you want a linux-like DXVK experience, you have to make things even more complex with MoltenVK which converts Vulkan calls to Metal to make DXVK work.

JohnS87

Prominent
Mar 5, 2021
AkQ3GIv.jpg
I picked up a base Mac Mini. I had to laugh at their presentation about the new M2 Pro being five times faster than the most powerful Intel desktops. Okay, lets see them run AAA PC games.

It’s only funny to you because you misread the claim. They said five times faster than the best-selling Windows desktop.

I strongly disagree with this. When the first M1 Mac came out there was no ARM based software yet it ran everything the x86 versions did (all be it a slower than their later to come native counter parts). If MS invested the time and money into decent translation like Apple did, they could make it just as compatible as Apple did with their software.
The problem is Apple has absolute control over their ecosystem and can lockout any dev not playing by their card. So all apple had to do was introduce rosetta first and wait for a few years for the devs to update their code. and the current crop of popular apps dont even run on legacy x86 code. I dont see this happening with Windows anytime soon...

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I’ve been gaming on PC’s since the early 90’s and Windows is still the premier platform for gaming. It’s not perfect because nothing ever is but I don’t have a problem with Windows.

Yes Linux is available to play games but gamers vote with their wallets and Windows is still king. Steam offers Linux games but it probably doesn’t register hardly at all in marketshare. I find things break less with commercial OS’s like mac OS and Windows versus Linux. I do have a Linux PC but I don’t game on it because developers mostly target Windows and not Linux.

The issue isn't wallets, it's legacy. If I could get all of my legacy games on Linux I would dump Windows in 2.2 seconds.

Reactions: krelidas_34

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador

Okay, let's look at how they compare on a standardized workload.
117493.png
Even Zen 3 outperformed the M1 Max @ single-threaded integer, and came close on fp. I wish they had an updated plot with data for Zen 4 and Raptor Lake. But, since Ian and Andre left Anandtech, the reviews lack both this plot with the overall averages as well as any Apple data.

Where you're spot-on is that Apple wins hands-down at perf/W.

Issue is they’re stuck with Qualcomm who aren’t exactly up there with apple

Okay, let's look at how they compare on a standardized workload.
117493.png
Even Zen 3 outperformed the M1 Max @ single-threaded integer, and came close on fp. I wish they had an updated plot with data for Zen 4 and Raptor Lake. But, since Ian and Andre left Anandtech, the reviews lack both this plot with the overall averages as well as any Apple data.

Where you're spot-on is that Apple wins hands-down at perf/W.
Is that test native to AS or is it running through Rosetta though?

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
If wanting to play games on a PC but stay away from Windows the best bet is to move to Linux
yea um no thanks linux is still a niche OS used by those that have been using it for years already, for some one new to that os, they wont touch it, i know some who tried it, and well, they are back to windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.