News Apple Releases M2 Pro and M2 Max: 20 Percent Faster, Up to 19 GPU Cores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Not yet, anyway. If/when the fabled Nuvia cores ever ship, they should close the gap.
They’re currently 3 generations behind apple on single core performance on mobile and lack the hardware acceleration engines apple does. I don’t really see them mounting a challenge, they’d have to find a near 100% performance boost whilst cutting power consumption to match apple

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
They’re currently 3 generations behind apple on single core performance on mobile and lack the hardware acceleration engines apple does. I don’t really see them mounting a challenge, they’d have to find a near 100% performance boost whilst cutting power consumption to match apple
Did you know that some of Apple's best veteran CPU designers left to found Nuvia? If anyone can design a core that can hold court vs. Apple, it's Nuvia. In fact, there's speculation that the slow pace of innovation in Apple's recent cores is precisely because they lost so much talent to Nuvia.

As for accelerators, meh. Qualcomm indeed has accelerators, but accelerators they don't play a major role in most laptop workloads.

GPU-wise, I think Adreno usually slots in between Apple's and ARM's Mali. For a typical business user, which is Qualcomm's primary target, Adreno GPUs will be fine.

Did you know that some of Apple's best veteran CPU designers left to found Nuvia? If anyone can design a core that can hold court vs. Apple, it's Nuvia. In fact, there's speculation that the slow pace of innovation in Apple's recent cores is precisely because they lost so much talent to Nuvia.

As for accelerators, meh. Qualcomm indeed has accelerators, but accelerators they don't play a major role in most laptop workloads.

GPU-wise, I think Adreno usually slots in between Apple's and ARM's Mali. For a typical business user, which is Qualcomm's primary target, Adreno GPUs will be fine.
The A16 posts double digit improvements over the A15 which posted the same over the A14. Apple isn’t slowing down with chip development they’ve just shifted marketing strategy and the lead is that large now that it doesn’t really matter how much it performs better than their old product when they’re old product is still faster than the competitions new ones. If anything their chip development is doing really well with no major slowdowns, they haven’t done an Intel where there wasn’t any meaning ful difference over about 6 generations.

They’re not up to the same standards as apples though and they’re becoming more and more important especially as things like AV1 take hold for example.

How is business use Qualcomm’s target?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
How is business use Qualcomm’s target?
If you look at how Qualcomm is positioning their current laptop SoC's, it's for business class thin & light laptops with 5G connectivity and 24h+ battery life.

They're obviously not going after the gaming segment - at least, not right now. And the margins in the entry-level/Chromebook segment are probably crap. So, that basically leaves the business segment as the juicy market they're able to target.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
yea um no thanks linux is still a niche OS used by those that have been using it for years already, for some one new to that os, they wont touch it, i know some who tried it, and well, they are back to windows.

It's only "niche" in the desktop space. In mobile and cloud it's well over 50% of the market share where Windows is the "niche" operating system.

Reactions: bit_user

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
It's only "niche" in the desktop space. In mobile and cloud it's well over 50% of the market share where Windows is the "niche" operating system.
thats where i was referring to. out of all the people i know that use a comp, a few have played around with it, including me, and i think only one keeps his install up to date, and uses it often, the rest, run windows. mainly because they found it complicated to install, well, anything. maybe it was this distro they used or something else, but the times i have used it, its quite, involved to install things, maybe that has changed over the years ?

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
thats where i was referring to. out of all the people i know that use a comp, a few have played around with it, including me, and i think only one keeps his install up to date, and uses it often, the rest, run windows. mainly because they found it complicated to install, well, anything. maybe it was this distro they used or something else, but the times i have used it, its quite, involved to install things, maybe that has changed over the years ?

Depends on the distro. Anything Debian based is fairly close to a Windows MSI/EXE installer from the GUI (also somewhat similar to when you download an App in Android it's just a single APK). They all have something you can install packages from the command line like what Windows has with Chocolatey (APT for most of them). Your more security conscious ones like Red Hat can still be a PIDA overall IMO, but in general it's not like it was 10 years ago.

yea um no thanks linux is still a niche OS used by those that have been using it for years already, for some one new to that os, they wont touch it, i know some who tried it, and well, they are back to windows.
Its only a matter of time before Steam release its own Linux distro with Proton. The trials are already underway with the steamdeck and the huge steam games library...

Steam console if Gaben is really interested...

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Its only a matter of time before Steam release its own Linux distro with Proton. The trials are already underway with the steamdeck and the huge steam games library...
ok and ? IMO, id rather play any steam games i have, which is very few BTW, on windows which is already installed and working, so why switch to that ?

D

Deleted member 14196

Lol. I’m old I used to use Unix systems.

Linux is very nice. And it’s not difficult to install.

if you have Windows 11, go ahead and install the Windows subsystem for Linux and then you can install any distro that you want from the store

Don’t live in a cave, educate yourself learn if you want to do something. Look it up on Google there’s tons of documentation.

I think that’s the best way you can get used to it side-by-side with windows. You can run windows terminal and you can also run bash and that way you can get used to how you do things in both operating systems.

Reactions: bit_user