News Apple Reportedly Helped China's YMTC to Hire US Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
YMTC Xtacking is not cost competitive and never will be, it's a fundamental problem of bonding 2 wafers together as you you don't get to cherry pick high yielding of both components, only benefit is you can choose to junk known bad wafers to not waste good CMOS or Memory Array. But they will always have double the wafer cost compared to their competitors. They need a better fundamental design or need to move away from wafer to wafer bonding to die to die bonding. Not sure margins are there for die to die but you can get the best yield if you can be selective at a more granular level.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I am really starting to hate Apple. Their business dealings in China have been incredibly shady. The fact they lock down their platform is so anti-consumer. And the way they try to undermine Spotify while copying their business with Apple Music is disgusting.

Reactions: bit_user

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Wonderful, nothing like helping our mortal enemy that's on the verge of surpassing us military and projected to have more nuclear warheads than NATO and Russia combined. And our own government is 100% responsible by secretly helping them for many decades which still continues to this day. Absolutely boggles the mind. Western leaders have been letting us down for many years now and need to get serious about this existental threat ASAP before it's too late. They're too busy worried about their fictional existential threat they call climate change which conveniently gives them the right to destroy Western Civilization as we know it. Exactly what China is hoping for.
Objectively, there is nothing wrong with what Apple did. I think every big US manufacturing company have done that at some point in time or still doing so. Otherwise how do you open shop to mass produce in China? In addition, it takes 2 hands to clap. Apple can sync the engineers up with Chinese companies, but they did not go there because they had no choice. Rather they may have gone to work for China companies because of better pay or for a job that they cannot find at home.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I am really starting to hate Apple. Their business dealings in China have been incredibly shady. The fact they lock down their platform is so anti-consumer. And the way they try to undermine Spotify while copying their business with Apple Music is disgusting.
Any companies operating in China will need to adhere to the rules and regulations, and I think it is more so if you are a foreign company. My guess is that this issue of "shady business dealings" is unlikely to be unique to Apple. Just as I mentioned above, I don't believe that Apple is the only company helping China some ways for their own benefit as well.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

Charogne

Prominent
Apr 25, 2022
I thought normally TH stop comments section when it becomes too much politics; but they make an article that is 100% politic...how many American business hire the best engineers from china, without anyone saying anything on the planet as long as it profits US, but the opposite is unacceptable? It will be more and more common as China surpass the US economically, the best engineers goes where they get best paid and where they have the most opportunity to advance their researches. No need to make a sensationalist article on that.
I would even add, maybe if the US was more into "going forward" scientifically instead of putting all its energy trying to "stay at the top" by all means, they wouldnt have to worry about other countries surpassing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.