Apple Reportedly Licences Design Patents to Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Apple licenses Design Patents to Microsoft"

Why would I want to license a design which, by the terms of the license, I can not use?
That makes no sense, now does it.
:heink:

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Funny. Samsung tries to say they aren't valid patents and Microsoft licenses them.

Funnier are the 3 patents Samsung is suing for. Are you ready for these heavyweights?

1. A method for determining if e-mail is plain text or contains a photo and taking an action based on that.
2. A method to allow you to send a photo from an album/viewer, and after you send it you can return the the same place you left off.
3. A method to play music in the background on a mobile device.

Absolutely brilliant, Samsung. You know how to "bring the big guns" to Aplpe's knife fight. /S

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I think the fall of Apple would be great not only for the advancement in technology, but for us consumers also. I pray for that day to come.
Apple is like the religion in the middle ages, controlling the sheep and erasing the intelligent.

G

YOU CANNOT PATENT A SQUARE WITH ROUND EDGES!

MS IS JUST HELPING APPLE OUT AGAINST FOREIGNERS!

AMERICAN PROTECTIONISM AT ITS LOWEST!

APPLE WILL FAIL AND THEN THE ISHEEP WILL WITHER.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
What are the chances that the amount MS had paid for the licensing is exactly the same amount or less than:-

A) Estimated lawyers fees for a similar courtroom bitch-fight

paid for by:-

B) Fees garnered from Android licenses

MS never loses any of it's own money, avoids all of the bad press and manages to come up smelling of roses, brilliant

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]APPLELOSESINTHEEND[/nom]YOU CANNOT PATENT A SQUARE WITH ROUND EDGES![/citation] I wounder if you can patent the middle finger, cause I would like to patent it and sue Apple every time they use it.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Funny. Samsung tries to say they aren't valid patents and Microsoft licenses them.Funnier are the 3 patents Samsung is suing for. Are you ready for these heavyweights?1. A method for determining if e-mail is plain text or contains a photo and taking an action based on that.2. A method to allow you to send a photo from an album/viewer, and after you send it you can return the the same place you left off.3. A method to play music in the background on a mobile device.Absolutely brilliant, Samsung. You know how to "bring the big guns" to Aplpe's knife fight. /S[/citation]

Your so right I mean seriously how ridiculous is Samsung really suing over such things. Its not like there suing over something substantial like a product being a rectangle. Which is pretty much the entire bases of Apples Lawsuit. We all know a rectangle can be designed in so many different ways. I mean Samsung should be ashamed of them self's really.

/end sarcasm

I wonder how long before Apple starts suing anything with the letter D saying it infringes on there design rights. D does kinda look like a rectangle if you don't look two closely.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]I think the fall of Apple would be great not only for the advancement in technology, but for us consumers also. I pray for that day to come.Apple is like the religion in the middle ages, controlling the sheep and erasing the intelligent.[/citation]

Really... lets see, if Apple did not bring out the original iPhone we would have an Android that looks so much like a Blackberry right now. We would be all subjected to the tracking ball that RIM integrated into their units and we would all have low resolution screens.

Yeah, this is called the butterfly effect. You take that important piece out of history you gamble that we would be in the same place today.. In fact if not for Apple, we would probably still be on Windows Mobile 10 built on CE..

I'm just saying, you can hate a company all you want, but to want them completely destroyed is just narrow minded thinking.

Interesting. Not sure what the aim of licensing Apple's design is, but it certainly helps to convince Apple that any resulting products from Microsoft that is sleek and "cool" is not an unabashed copy of Apple devices, like what Samsung did.

In other words, I take it as Apple isn't the monster that some publications are making them out to be.

G

Apple wins the court case easily, Samsung pays big fines, then starts stealing designs from Microsoft.

Samsung is the least innovative hack job of a company in the world and will get what's coming to them. These Asian thieves aren't getting any more money from me!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
claiming a patent on a tablet design is like claiming a patent on all pick up trucks or coupes. There is just so much you cac do with a flat style pc , what next is apple gona sue papper maunfactures because paper is shaped like an ipad ?

God i hate apple and wish they'd go shove their ipad up their iholes

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Really... lets see, if Apple did not bring out the original iPhone we would have an Android that looks so much like a Blackberry right now. We would be all subjected to the tracking ball that RIM integrated into their units and we would all have low resolution screens. Yeah, this is called the butterfly effect. You take that important piece out of history you gamble that we would be in the same place today.. In fact if not for Apple, we would probably still be on Windows Mobile 10 built on CE.. I'm just saying, you can hate a company all you want, but to want them completely destroyed is just narrow minded thinking.[/citation]

umm you are so wrong in this instance, the tablet was just a natural evolution in pc's quite a few years before apple ever came along with their ipad idea , Star trek and countless science fiction novels featured the idea of a computer in a tablet like enclosure. apple made no enourmous leap in this design really.

I do hate apple , but lastly i do agree with you they should not be wiped out , but for very different reasons , apple shouldn't be wiped out because it would put a lot of people out of jobs. but there is NOTHING revolutionary or new design wise about a tablet PC. in fact i think paramount should sue apple for copying the star trek data pad.

"There's a clear acknowledgement that there is no cloning as part of this provision,"

Yeah. That's why there is a magnetic dock for the power cable on the new Surface tablet, among other things.
There is a clear acknowledgement that Apple will not sue MS because they are also a US big company, and it would cost them a lot more than just closing their eyes to this.
OTOH, Smasung is the Asian company that NEEDS to be squashed, right, Apple? Also, they are directly your competitors, because they make phones and tablets, some of them better than yours, so you need to eliminate them with stupid patents lawsuits. MS, they don't really represent a threat (yet), because WinMobile is just in it's infancy and their future tablets are not even here yet.
Last, but not least, the lawsuit is going on in your backyard, with an already biased judge at the helm. Not much expected to go wrong for Apple in this case; in a potential lawsuit against MS you would have to fight from equal positions, and that is something cowards don't do.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"There's a clear acknowledgement that there is no cloning as part of this provision,"Yeah. That's why there is a magnetic dock for the power cable on the new Surface tablet, among other things.There is a clear acknowledgement that Apple will not sue MS because they are also a US big company, and it would cost them a lot more than just closing their eyes to this. OTOH, Smasung is the Asian company that NEEDS to be squashed, right, Apple? Also, they are directly your competitors, because they make phones and tablets, some of them better than yours, so you need to eliminate them with stupid patents lawsuits. MS, they don't really represent a threat (yet), because WinMobile is just in it's infancy and their future tablets are not even here yet. Last, but not least, the lawsuit is going on in your backyard, with an already biased judge at the helm. Not much expected to go wrong for Apple in this case; in a potential lawsuit against MS you would have to fight from equal positions, and that is something cowards don't do.[/citation]
Apple isn't afraid of MS because they are slowly moving to the "walled garden" for their OS like Apple currently is. The app store in Win8 is proof of that to me.

To the people who say they just want to distribute software, MS has had Games For Windows Live Marketplace for the PC and have pretty much kicked it to the curb going for "The App Store". GFWL could have been installed by default and expanded in win8 to give access to it on day 1, but instead they went with the app store. And I beleave a bigger cut in the ammount of money they get on every "app" or "game".

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Really... lets see, if Apple did not bring out the original iPhone we would have an Android that looks so much like a Blackberry right now. We would be all subjected to the tracking ball that RIM integrated into their units and we would all have low resolution screens. Yeah, this is called the butterfly effect. You take that important piece out of history you gamble that we would be in the same place today.. In fact if not for Apple, we would probably still be on Windows Mobile 10 built on CE.. I'm just saying, you can hate a company all you want, but to want them completely destroyed is just narrow minded thinking.[/citation]

And this is based on what ? as there have already been alot of coverage of phones that the "original" Iphone looks like that were released years before it. The only thing apple brought to the table that was productive for the smart phone market was multi touch nothing more nothing less.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Funny. Samsung tries to say they aren't valid patents and Microsoft licenses them.Funnier are the 3 patents Samsung is suing for. Are you ready for these heavyweights?1. A method for determining if e-mail is plain text or contains a photo and taking an action based on that.2. A method to allow you to send a photo from an album/viewer, and after you send it you can return the the same place you left off.3. A method to play music in the background on a mobile device.Absolutely brilliant, Samsung. You know how to "bring the big guns" to Aplpe's knife fight. /S[/citation]
At least Samsung didn't try to patent a square with round edges. Their claims sound like blueprint for a super computer by comparison to Apple's "It's my square!" claims.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]APPLELOSESINTHEEND[/nom]YOU CANNOT PATENT A SQUARE WITH ROUND EDGES!MS IS JUST HELPING APPLE OUT AGAINST FOREIGNERS!AMERICAN PROTECTIONISM AT ITS LOWEST!APPLE WILL FAIL AND THEN THE ISHEEP WILL WITHER.[/citation]
You Caps Lock key is stuck. No one reads comments in all caps. Inexpensive keyboards are available on Craigslist.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I like how everyone is laughing at Samsungs claims...but seriously do any of you remember having a phone that couldn't play music if you were doing anything else...IT WAS FREAKING HORRIBLE!!!!

[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You Caps Lock key is stuck. No one reads comments in all caps. Inexpensive keyboards are available on Craigslist.[/citation]
That would require the anti-USA @APPLELOSESINTHEEND to use a USA based site. OMG that would also require them to send smoke signals since the USA developed the Internet, IC's and CPU's both AMD and Intel are USA companies i.e. computers.

It's laughable that the USA is protectionist, if we were then we'd stop doing any form of business or trade with countries like China. Frankly, I wish we were protectionist since several Countries treat their populous like chattel (animals). The USA middle class is suffering with USA companies exploiting $0.70/hour labor and in doing so is hemorrhaging money to China that we're in turn borrowing back our own money.

Anyway, if I were Apple and I were really pissed then I'd quit buying their screens and any other components from Samsung, hash out the patent suit and move forward.

gregs101

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
''USA developed the Internet'' - The internet is a British invention numbnut. Didn't you watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics where the very man (Tim Berners-Lee) was honoured for his creation?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SamSTUNK[/nom]Apple wins the court case easily, Samsung pays big fines, then starts stealing designs from Microsoft.Samsung is the least innovative hack job of a company in the world and will get what's coming to them. These Asian thieves aren't getting any more money from me![/citation]

So you want to live in the Stoneage, most likely most home electronics you have have several Samsung parts in them!

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]I think the fall of Apple would be great not only for the advancement in technology, but for us consumers also. I pray for that day to come.Apple is like the religion in the middle ages, controlling the sheep and erasing the intelligent.[/citation]

And of course, you would be the sheep, but instead being controlled by the likes of Samsung. Any unbiased, clear minded and realistic person can see that Samsung has been copying Apple all along. The icons for their apps are almost identical to the ones being used in the iOS. It's bloody shameful. They even retained the "Home" button even though ICS no longer requires it and Google tried to discourage it. I bet Samsung will only get rid of that button when Apple eventually decides to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.