News Apple Reportedly Readies Three 3nm Mac SoCs: Ibiza, Lobos, Palma

kaalus

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Apple chips have completely dominated the x86, and Intel is in big trouble. Of course, AMD 5950X is still faster than M1 Pro, but it achieves it at 140 watts. M1 Pro runs nearly as fast at 45W. Apple could just triple the number of cores in M1, getting the power to around 140W, and reach 3x multithreaded performance of any x86 currently on the market. Something that normally takes Intel/AMD about 10 years of incremental improvements. And Apple will probably do just that, once they get to making desktop chips.

I am sure Microsoft are firing on all cylinders too, developing their own ARM chip. Can't afford such a performance gap. Windows ARM is ready. I wouldn't buy any Intel stock right now.

Reactions: maik80

maik80

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Apple chips have completely dominated the x86, and Intel is in big trouble. Of course, AMD 5950X is still faster than M1 Pro, but it achieves it at 140 watts. M1 Pro runs nearly as fast at 45W. Apple could just triple the number of cores in M1, getting the power to around 140W, and reach 3x multithreaded performance of any x86 currently on the market. Something that normally takes Intel/AMD about 10 years of incremental improvements. And Apple will probably do just that, once they get to making desktop chips.

I am sure Microsoft are firing on all cylinders too, developing their own ARM chip. Can't afford such a performance gap. Windows ARM is ready. I wouldn't buy any Intel stock right now.
I agree with you

D

Deleted member 1353997

Miltithreaded performance does.
No, it doesn't.

Multithreaded performance is computed with following formula:
amdahl_law.jpg

or if you can't see the image:

Tp = (S + (1 - S) / N) * Ts
Speedup = Ts / Tp

Tp: Parallel runtime
Ts: Serial runtime
S: Percentage of time spent in serial code
N: Number of processors

If multithreaded performance was linear, then Tp would eventually converge to 0. But it never will, because you will never write software where S = 0.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
well if ARM can match with very much lower Watt then why we still need X86 with power hog?
im already afraid a phone can be used as a pc. which will kill much tablet and laptop once there is slim monitor included with keyboard and mouse so when we need a desktop we just open that monitor and use the keyboard and mouse as a pc