Apple Responds to iPhone 5's Purple Lens Flare Issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
@ Galatian:
The problem is that apple consumers as well as the company itself, has always looked down on the rest of the tech world as inferior(apple guy vs pc guy commercials, to name a few). So now that apples pedestal is not quite so high anymore, they are fair game for ridicule from the rest of us. Had the apple ecosystem not been so snobish dare I say elitist to begin with, there would probably not have been so much I-hate in the first place.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]@ Galatian:The problem is that apple consumers as well as the company itself, has always looked down on the rest of the tech world as inferior(apple guy vs pc guy commercials, to name a few). So now that apples pedestal is not quite so high anymore, they are fair game for ridicule from the rest of us. Had the apple ecosystem not been so snobish dare I say elitist to begin with, there would probably not have been so much I-hate in the first place.[/citation]
I work with almost exclusively Mac/Apple users on a day-to-day basis, I can honestly say that none of them look down on the rest of the tech world as inferior. In fact, most of them use Windows machines every now and then because their Mac machines will not do everything. The only group of people I work with that are snobish/elitists are the Windows system admins. But honestly... I just think they feel like they shouldn't have to do their jobs and support a bunch of Mac users. They make it seem like they have to lower themselves just to support Macs. So be careful... it can go both ways easily.

But, I will agree that Jobs, Cook, and the Apple marketing strategy is definitively one that attempts to paint a picture elitism in their products. And its working.

Also, there's a purple lens flare problem?
I spent the entirety of last week shooting footage and taking photos for work on an iPhone 5, and I honestly didn't notice any purple lens flare. Maybe I'm going crazy.

Latentius

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Next generation, they'll have replaced the lens with one designed to minimize flaring, and there'll be all sorts of commercials about how magical and genius it is, and how no one else has ever done it, but it's such an obvious problem, it's amazing that no one has ever addressed it before!

(Thinking of the earpods commercials at the moment...)

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I think iOS 6 + iPhone 5 may actually be the start of the end for Apple. Maybe not in 2-3 years, but within 5-10 years it will have crashed and burned back to it's original state.

Do you guys think Apple will just keep growing and growing indefinitely? Of course not, it always happens, even to the "best" of them.

Oh well, the wheel will just starts spinning again with someone new.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I work with almost exclusively Mac/Apple users on a day-to-day basis, I can honestly say that none of them look down on the rest of the tech world as inferior. In fact, most of them use Windows machines every now and then because their Mac machines will not do everything. The only group of people I work with that are snobish/elitists are the Windows system admins. But honestly... I just think they feel like they shouldn't have to do their jobs and support a bunch of Mac users. They make it seem like they have to lower themselves just to support Macs. So be careful... it can go both ways easily.But, I will agree that Jobs, Cook, and the Apple marketing strategy is definitively one that attempts to paint a picture elitism in their products. And its working.Also, there's a purple lens flare problem?I spent the entirety of last week shooting footage and taking photos for work on an iPhone 5, and I honestly didn't notice any purple lens flare. Maybe I'm going crazy.[/citation]

I have to give you a thumbs up for that and will admit that not all the apple clan are rotten, as well as there are some titanic dics in the pc world as well. Its just that 8 times out a 10, tell an apple user your on a pc, and you get this look that says"oh I'm sorry, you haven't heard that apple is superior to pc". Throw in the closed eco system, the fact that you can't build your own apple hardware, the specs on said hardware are underwhelming, the high price, And then the fact apple the company seems condescending to every one that doesn't use apple products, is quick to sue any company that might be competitive, just isn't leaving much room for any love from me.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
love the 'roid hate...

ZOMG! You get lens flare and chromatic aberrations when you point your camera at the sun?!?!?!?!!?

AHHH DUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!

This happens with all cameras!! I have used cameras since I was 13 and it has happened with everyone including my Canon 5D...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It is not the flare that's the problem, it's the purple. While taking pictures of sunsets isn't original, I wouldn't want them to turn out purple either. I'd like my flares to be the color of the light / white.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]It is not the flare that's the problem, it's the purple. While taking pictures of sunsets isn't original, I wouldn't want them to turn out purple either. I'd like my flares to be the color of the light / white.[/citation]

please look up "chromatic aberrations"... Thanks :)

G

Yes,i think you’re absolutely right I have same purple haze problem in my Iphone 5 camera. Some people said that it is due to introduction of a sapphire lens in iPhone 5 cameras but apple has refused all these issues and said that it is normal behavior of Iphone 5 camera and the lens has nothing to do with this. So I decided to find the solution on internet and I successfully got solution here http://howmobile.net/apple-iphone/2853-solution-camera-issues-iphone.html. You must see these solutions. After applying these solutions on my Iphone device, my Iphone camera started working quite nicely. Hope it will also help you.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]It is actually a very normal problem with any small camera. Anandtech's last podcast had a rather exhaustive (but interesting) explanation about it. Move the light source, or change the angle the slightest bit, and the issue goes away.Personally I have had similar issues with several cameras... granted none of them were as expensive as an iPhone either so I didn't really complain.[/citation]
Correct. Took a nice picture inside a wooded glade with my Lumia 800 and there's very interesting spherical lighting effects from the sun coming through the trees, though not a purple hue in sight. Are such lighting effects just more likely with the iPhone 5 as compared with previous generations or is this really just the purple hue that's gotten everybody complaining?

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]I have to give you a thumbs up for that and will admit that not all the apple clan are rotten, as well as there are some titanic dics in the pc world as well. Its just that 8 times out a 10, tell an apple user your on a pc, and you get this look that says"oh I'm sorry, you haven't heard that apple is superior to pc". Throw in the closed eco system, the fact that you can't build your own apple hardware, the specs on said hardware are underwhelming, the high price, And then the fact apple the company seems condescending to every one that doesn't use apple products, is quick to sue any company that might be competitive, just isn't leaving much room for any love from me.[/citation]
I will say that people who don't use Apple hardware for work can be naive and elitist about it. The usual "Oh, you have a virus? I can't get them because I'm on a Mac" rant.

But in my experience, the vast majority of people that use Apple hardware/software as part of their jobs have a healthy level of respect for Windows machines, and vice versa. Yet, lately anyway, all I have been coming across is these dick Windows system admins, and I just hope that Windows doesn't become the new Mac. The point is, each operation system has its strengths and weaknesses, and both can coexist.

As far as the closed ecosystem, they claim they do it because it delivers superior products. I tend to disagree, which is why I build my own PC desktop machines. But I will admit I do own several Apple laptops.

Anyway, this morning when I got into work I tested this purple lens flare, and it was completely noticeable. I just never noticed it last week because I was using the ultra-amazing lens hood known as my hand.

G

Apple is not sweeping this under the rug. As a photographer I understand that if you are pointing the lens towards a subject and there is a light source at the edge of the frame you will get flaring. I know there are many apple haters out there and that's too bad. As a user of Apple products, and a proud shareholder of apple stocks (over 4000) and counting since 1988 I need you all to switch sides and continue funding my huge retirement fund. Please... Isn't it bad enough their shares have tanked almost $70.00 in the last two weeks?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]please look up "chromatic aberrations"... Thanks[/citation]
I don't care about the reason for the purple ( and it seems, neither does many other people ), as other products do not have this problem.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Wow. Just wow. I've used maybe 50 or so small cameras and mobile cameras including iPhone cameras and have NEVER seen a purple lens flare. All those lens flares in Star Trek and I didn't even see a purple one. What kind of materials do they have to mess up to get a purple lens flare? Wow.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I've used Windows, Linux and Macs as desktops.
I prefer my Windows machine, Macs may be user friendly but they're severely underpowered and don't play games for crap. Linux has been evolving but still isn't game friendly like a Windows pc, and I game on my pc.
I've tried an iPhone and own an Android and an iPod Touch, while the iPod and iPhone are user friendly enough, I don't like not being able to add widgets like my Android and I don't care for navigating on iDevices, its easy enough to learn, but I'd rather just have a settings button I can use now instead of hitting home, then trying to find my settings icon.
So yes, I prefer Android, I still have yet to try a Windows phone, but Android does everything I want it to and gives me a lot of flexibility to set up my phone the way I want.
That being said, most Apple people I know are just snobs that thumb down their noses at Windows, Linux and Android people because they feel just because they're paying top dollar for something, they have the best there is, its a total status symbol, nothing more. It doesn't matter I can play amazing looking games on my pc and they can't on their Macs, it doesn't matter that I can one click on my wifi or bluetooth, it doesn't matter that I can customize my devices for me, it doesn't matter I can plug in my phone to my pc without any fancy interface software (that doesn't try to take over aspect of my media *cough*pieceofcrapitunes*cough*) and it just work because they believe Apple knows best and we're all ignorant if we don't feel the same way.
So forgive me if I get a good laugh at Apple pushing a piece of junk off onto their zealots, calling flaws features and telling the users THEY are doing something wrong because Apple dropped the ball again and the users buying into it.
Again, I'd probably have sympathy for Apple people if most of the ones I've met weren't such holier than though snobs. I'm sure there are some great Apple people out there, but I've yet to meet them. Call me an Android fanboy if you wish, -1 me to hell for all I care, I just wanted to explain why I feel the way I do.

gheerishm

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Do not worry iFans, this is apples way to get you into SLR photography. Making you learn one of the advance steps, the Exposure. iPhone 6 will have all options of a DSLR camera.... apple cares for you people

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Lol how many times have they basically gave you all the finger and told to go forth and multiply!
First the cases are poorly painted and scratch. then you get purple lens flare (which I never got Iphone 3 and 4 I own)
Then the Maps Kerfuffle
Screen leaking light (this is done due to poor sealing, if you buy a Samsung monitor like this , a guy drives to your house with a new LCD to exchange usually in 1 day)
Wi Fi
Poor battery life
Siri cant even help herself

Apples response. "Oh this is normal"

WTF Off with their heads . Pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.