Apple Says Optical Drives Were Holding It Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Not an Apple fan, but have to agree. More room for an extra HD in laptops, plus like the 3.5 floppy, much better served as an extra USB carry device for when the need arises.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Need my optical. No better way to share large amounts of pictures and home videos with other family and friends.

Plus, my DVD / Blu-Ray provides great archiving, have had way too many backup harddrives fail on me to trust them without some form of redundancy.

rdc85

Honorable
"Blu-ray has come with issues unrelated to the actual quality of the movie that make [it] a complex and not-great technology…..."

Hmm... okay

"........ naturally, that it's better to buy movies through iTunes,........"

now, i see where it's going...

Firion87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I'm curious when will Apple remove definitely the user from their devices because they are not monkey enough for them.

There is just one small problem with that. Apple is again imposing their view over the consumers freedom of choice. Thou i have to admit that the general population is far less informed, and buy what is told to.
Just one small issue: Compatibility... but then again Apple is bearly compatible with anything but apple products.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
translation ... we want you to only be able to buy and use software through i tunes no more buying a cd or any media to play in your device that was not purchased through itunes... greddy wankers

The only thing disc drives hold back is the ability to monitor what the user moves from computer to computer. Everyone hold onto your burners because when the internet gets busted for sharing data everything goes right back to tape trading like the 90's until we build our own private internets

Oh and one more thing, and this is crucial: Cd-DVD is a great back-up way for games (the original cd-dvd is actually a backup), but if you have all on DRM and online only like Steam or Origin, Basicly you no longer own anything you buy, since at any time they can turn your right to use the software you bought (Dont belive it? Read the terms of agreement for once in your life, and see how hard you are getting F in the...).

In ohter word, Apple is giving me even more reasons not to buy their products.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The user lost out when blu-ray won over HD-DVD that's for sure. So long as you can get an external device I see no reason why you would want the bulk of the drive in the laptop; but when you have a full tower fill it up with as much kit as you need. All part of the fun.

besus

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Even though I rarely use mine anymore, call it old school but I like having one (two actually). Granted this is in a desktop so there's plenty of room...

Either way, leave it to Apple to tell people what they want. It worked with the floppy drive, but I don't think they'll be able to pull it off with optical drives. If they're so confident in this decision, maybe they should stop selling their grotesquely overpriced USB optical drive too.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I still buy music on CDs. They are my backup in case of a hard drive failure. Plus, I can play them on non apple devices or apple devices. Not everyone sticks with one brand and I like my movies and audio CDs to be compatible with whatever I choose as my next technology purchase.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah sure, of course it's better to rip out optical devices. iSheep will be gladly forced to buy stuff on iTunes - as Phil himself knows - and people won't be able to lend discs - oh more iTunes shoving.

Apple is a horrible company. Seeing them make so much money makes me lose hope in the future.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Okay, when I can pass 50GB of information to other person without caring for the medium, tell me please. Nowadays 50GB of flash memory costs you 30 or 40 euros if you want decent speed.
And 50GB of cloud storage are not useful for those purposes, you have to continue using backups.

Nice try to get people tied to their iTunes store.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Anaxamenes[/nom]I still buy music on CDs. They are my backup in case of a hard drive failure. Plus, I can play them on non apple devices or apple devices. Not everyone sticks with one brand and I like my movies and audio CDs to be compatible with whatever I choose as my next technology purchase.[/citation]

I do the same, plus with a physical music CD you can sell it if you want (I used to buy used CDs), give it to someone if you don't want it, or pass it to another generation. With a digital download you don't have the same rights.

BluRay QUALITY is superior to the Apple media.

Avatar used 43GB of BluRay space. I use NETFLIX and the quality is "okay" but when I want a CHOICE of high quality for great movies like Avatar, Avengers, LOTR, Harry Potter etc, then I want the BEST quality available.

Oh, and how is my SISTER going to borrow my movies if they're stuck in digital world.

And I finally tried an Apple to see what the hype is all about. Not impressed. I'm going back to Windows 8 (yes, I said it... Sigh.. )

G

Sounds like a poor excuse in an attempt to undermine Sony and Microsoft - I'm guess the 'Apple Console' isn't far away by the sounds of it.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Can someone explain what Apple will use to replace the optical disks? USB drives?
I also don't like them, but there needs to be some good offline way to distribute - re-install the OS and some apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.