Apple Says Scratching on New Aluminum iPhone 5 is Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am sure they will come out and say its user error during un-packaging. They could say its the carriers scratching the phones when they go to set them up or activate them. In any case I am sure they will find a way to pass the blame on to the other guy.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Personally, I'd take scratching on an aluminum back over a shattered glass back any day.

And I'm sure people are happy Apple is using metal rather than the typical plastic... but if you are gonna use metal then at the very least put a scratch resistant coating on it before you sell it.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Nah, those "scratches" you get on arrival are really the dried blood and tears of tormented Foxconn workers. Spray it with a lens cleaner solution and you should be able to wipe them off easily.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
some idiot actually tried to say that the scuffs and scratches are okay since you put a case on it anyway.

Anodized Aluminum does not scratch easily if the coating is applied thoroughly and not just once like it sounds.

GG Apple and Foxconn

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Geeze, I envy apple. They can just insult the intelligence of their customer base and it works, they sell millions more. It's supposed to be scratched up, you're not holding it right, you don't need multitasking, you don't need a better map app....
Microsoft (or anyone else) does stuff like this and they are lambasted mercilessly from every corner. Gotta envy that Apple business model.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I think it's important for a manufacturer to make sure that the materials they use on expensive, prestigious products are not only beautiful, but durable as well, so that even if the product has been used for a long time it will still look good and people will be convinced of their products durability and longevity, thereby convincing people to buy from the same company again. I bought a Sony Xperia Sola smart phone recently and I was pleasantly surprised to see that a screen protector was already factory-installed by default, saving me money, effort and time buying a screen protector. Sony did well here: putting on a screen protector ensures that the glass is protected and the product stays in good shape longer than if Sony never pre-installed the screen protector. It's not just a good gesture from Sony; it also helps the phone stay pretty longer and convince people that Sony products are durable, even if it's just a screen protector (just take off the screen protector and the product looks new again - just put a new protector on to continue making it that way).

Yes, it is normal for aluminum products, which is why hardly anyone makes painted aluminum phones anymore. It was a fad that washed out a while back because it messes with reception, scratches easy, is more expensive and heavy than plastic, etc.

But it does feel nice, and it looks good while not scratched... and that is what Apple is good for; that initial WOW factor when you first buy it which must wear off within the year or so that it takes to push a new product to market.

G

I wonder if the iPhone 5 would have shipped with all these issues if Steve Jobs was still alive?

G

HTC Sensation - 17 Months old, 1 tiny minute scratch and it is abused, in pockets lying around, Side door in car, keys, dropped twice at least on hard surfaces, kids play with it!

Shame for Apple really, Its a nice Phone the iPhone 5, great hardware and super fast, but like all 4/4s I see out there, half are cracked front and rear and the other half covered in awefull cases that ruin the design.

Now iPhone 5 looks to go follow with skuffed scratched phone that works great Pity!

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I don't get why manufacturers insist on using these materials on phones. So many phones look great, but scratch way too easy. Why not make something that's actually going to stay nice looking. Cheap ass materials.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
You're not going to break the phone by scuffing the back side of it. The woman in the above clip saying the phone was "destroyed" because it had some scratches on the back is an idiot. If the screen scratches easily, that's a problem. If the back of the phone does, who cares? There are a lot of things to dislike Apple about, but I don't see why this is a big deal. If you want your phone to look new two years from now, buy a case for it and don't put it in the same pocket you have your keys in. It really isn't that hard to not tear up your phone with normal use if you take common sense precautions.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@kinggremlin

^This ... I'm amazed at the efforts people go through to keep their phones from getting a few scratches on them. It's like, what's the point of protecting the pretty phone design if you can't even see it with that ugly ass case over the top? Pretty damn funny.

It's especially funny when someone buys one of those big ass military grade cases that almost double the size of the phone ... looks like they are carrying around a cell phone from the 80's, Zach Morris style.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]@kinggremlin It's like, what's the point of protecting the pretty phone design if you can't even see it with that ugly ass case over the top? Pretty damn funny. It's especially funny when someone buys one of those big ass military grade cases that almost double the size of the phone ... looks like they are carrying around a cell phone from the 80's, Zach Morris style.[/citation]

I COMPLETELY agree with this. Its meant to be used! Apple made it durable enough not to need a case ... now just use it. Cars get scratches too... we deal with it.

If you want a huge as phone go get a Samsung or blackberry instead of buying a small one and getting a huge case.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
WOW, you take a bunch of metal objects and rub it on the back of the phone and it scratches, who would have guessed. These video's are just stupid, if you did that on any phone it would scratch. It's just harder to see on the cheap plastic phones. I bumped a curb the other day in my car and I got a scratch on my aluminum rim. Damn car company should have sold me a car with scratch resistant rims. The nit picking on these websites is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.