Apple Selling More Macs, iPhones; Fewer iPods

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
All i can really say is, good marketing. It might not be truthful marketing (ie macs are better than pcs considering macs ARE pcs now) but then again what marketing is, and it certainly makes me mad, but it really does do a good job to the common person. People like shiny lol.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Porsches are overpriced on paper, but that doesn't stop them from posting big gains.

The main 'spec' that all these paper comparisons miss is the ones you can't see until you use it.

For example, lift up the new ENVY13 from HP and then compare that to an MBP13. It should be an immediate occurrence of which laptop is higher quality.

Apple also provides retail locations for warranty repairs, something that other manufacturers lack. No one likes to spend time on the phone waiting and explaining something they can do in person.

Apple laptops also have strong resale value, something that other laptops lack. My girlfriend just sold her 2007 Macbook for $730 on craigslist (Powercord with no box). Thats just ridiculous. It changes the cost to own immensely, which if you care about that topic, macs are actually far cheaper to own than PCs.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
My desktop would cost around 6k the way i configured it if i bought it from apple and actually it outperforms it by an immense ammount. In games(lulz @ mac and game in same sentence)it will kill any mac out there guaranteed. I for one believe in building it myself and saving around 5k for a high performance build. Besides if i install osx for around 80 bucks on a $500 build it would outperform a 1k mac guaranteed.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
No need to bash Apple nor Macs.

If people want to buy Macs, then do so. Same with people who like PCs. Its just that people are more compelled to buy Macs, especially those who aren't familiar with the specs. As long as the smooth running Mac OS is there, they won't care what's under the hood. But for enthusiasts, what's under the hood are the ones that matters.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
"Apple sold 3.36 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter;"

While they tried their best to make this sound impressive and beyond normal, when you consider that the entire computer market saw a 31% increase over the same quarter last year, that number is less impressive.

Macs aren't taking over, they are just enjoying a rebounding economy, like everyone else.

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
It should be expected for the ipods to decrease in price based on the law of supply and demand, I plan to buy one this year.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
"All i can really say is, good marketing."
Marketing only goes so far; Just accept that fact that people like what Apple Offers.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Good job to apple I'm personally a pc guy but they sure do make a quality product. Sure it may be overpriced but it's not lightweight on hardware, and it's easy to use and usually have very useful user friendly software. And sure OSX is pretty much a highly modified linux which i didn't even realize till i started messing around with ubuntu. But as a company apple pwn most of what's out there

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
For those who attribute marketing to Apples success.....
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/10/28/apples-2009-ad-budget-half-a-billion/

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Keep in mind that Apple's marketing is spread across 3 product lines (Computers, MP3 players, and Phones). Dell only has one (Computers).

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
My guess is that as smart phones get more and more capacity the iPod will sell less and less. (iPod touch may offset this since its pretty cool) I mean why have an iPod if I can listen to MP3's on my phone with a 16GB microSD card?

*looks at his iPod classic* don't worry my phone will never be able to store 120GB's of files like you do.... at least not for a few years.

G

Cant bash macs... If you do your research right and know what you want and what you are going to do with it. Pro mac desktop for photoshop... "no thank you" I build my desktop for $2000 RAID,Insane GPU Core i7 Lots of RAM, Crap load of HDD's or can opt for SSD. Apple will just about rob you blind in this case. How about laptop 14-13" something with decent screen (LED back lit) sturdy design innovation... for about 1300 i was looking at a Think Pad. Being a long time think pad user i went with Uni. MacBook Pro. I went for OS still got windows in it and extremely happy with it. Hey my 2 cents.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
What i find ironic about Mac ads is that they try to make it seem as if macs are tailored to your needs, where as under the hood its the same specs; whereas PCs can be really tailored to the individual.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
In related news: phones have been capable MP3 players for years, with just as terrible audio quality (speaking to an MP3, specifically).

I think its safe to say that the MP3 player market just isn't the revenue-pot that it once was.

zuke

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
While I'm a huge PC fan/PowerUser/builder, I can appreciate the rise in Apple's sales. I could just do without the usual snootiness/snobbishness that seems to come standard with ownership.

Also, a 41% profit margin? Are you kidding me? Wow, Jobs really is a genius for maintaining premium prices & promoting fan-boyism!

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
MP3 players are still popular. The problem is that the iPod is an overpriced piece of shit, sound-wise and hardware-wise. Now that there is a glut of competing players out there, people are just getting smarter about choosing which brand they use.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I'm not surprised at all that Apple is selling less iPods. Consumers are finally realizing that the iPod is an overpriced piece of shit. With all of the competing MP3 players available today, there are dozens and dozens of cheaper models that are superior in every way, including sound and price.

Status
Not open for further replies.