News Apple Shows Off Vision Pro XR Headset at WWDC

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
With all due respect, but who is going to wear these "diving goggles"? Augmented reality requires hardware that is unobtrusive, light, virtually invisible and that doesn't get in the way of the users' interaction with the world. If the photo / render of the Vision Pro is even remotely indicative of how the final product will look like, then this is going to be another "thing for the nerds" as all VR glasses before.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's been rumored for so long that the release almost seems anticlimactic to me.

An external display will show your eyes so that people can recognize if you're immersed in VR or not
Freaky.

Correction:
Bob Iger, the CEO of Apple, joined Apple CEO Tim Cook at WWDC, showing off Disney Plus
Bob Iger is CEO of Disney, of course.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
With all due respect, but who is going to wear these "diving goggles"? Augmented reality requires hardware that is unobtrusive, light, virtually invisible and that doesn't get in the way of the users' interaction with the world.
I thought they already acknowledged in an investor earnings call that it's not going to be a high-volume product and isn't expected to have a big impact on revenues this year. That says it's more aimed at early adopters and developers, a bit like Hololens.

There was also rumored to be some internal disagreement with the idea of launching this year, due to it not being ready for true mass-market adoption. I think it was basically "pushed out of the nest" by Tim Cook. Personally, I agree with the idea of releasing something for developers to work with.

I think they're probably not expecting people to use it for more than a few hours per day, or else the whole ski goggles format would probably be too much.

If the photo / render of the Vision Pro is even remotely indicative of how the final product will look like, then this is going to be another "thing for the nerds" as all VR glasses before.
I wish they showed an image with the wearer's eyes shown, as claimed. I wonder just how natural or strange it'll seem.

LordConrad

Distinguished
With all due respect, but who is going to wear these "diving goggles"? Augmented reality requires hardware that is unobtrusive, light, virtually invisible and that doesn't get in the way of the users' interaction with the world. If the photo / render of the Vision Pro is even remotely indicative of how the final product will look like, then this is going to be another "thing for the nerds" as all VR glasses before.
Totally agree. Except for movie watching at home, which admittedly does look like a great experience, I can't picture anyone walking around while wearing a cumbersome pair of goggles.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
No controllers? That's a big NO for me. The controllers are my physical connection to reality. I'm not giving those up without a fight.

The other big problem with VR in general is simple paranoia. Right? The inability to detect sounds or presences while you've got the headset on! Give me a good motion/sound detector that will instantly alert me to anything funky going on in the room/house around me and I'd snap it up with a quickness. With my VR headset on I'm just flat out deaf and blind. That irks me.

Still, the only reason I use my VR is for exercise. It's good for that! I get my cardio in.

Last but not least, If I can't wear my regular glasses without extra hardware and extra expenses then your designers have failed. I can wear them just fine in all three of my current headsets.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Because of a high degree of astigmatism and extreme nearsightedness my glasses are already very expensive. I can just imagine what custom lens inserts will cost - at least four figures. No thanks, I'll pass.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unimpressive piece of tech as far as AR or VR go
Really? What's your reasoning?

I'm not disagreeing (yet), as I don't know any more about it than what the article said.

I don't see em being popular and likely get pricedrop and/or no future version as sales will be low.
If they weren't already hard at work on future versions, then I don't think they'd bother launching it. From what I've heard, they have reasonable expectations for how this generation will do, and it's important to get hardware into the hands of more developers and early adopters, if you want to grow the ecosystem.

So, no. I don't expect they'll get cold feet, just because sales of this product are lackluster. Maybe if they still haven't gotten traction by 3rd gen, they'll pull a "Hololens" and cut their losses.

Giroro

Splendid
What does it do?
What is the use case?
Who are these for?
Why should even a single person on earth buy this headset?

Apple had exactly one chance to justify the existence of these things, and they blew it.

I was expecting more from this at the rumoured price.

These goggles read good on paper, just not $3.5K good.

Eye tracking, the OLED panels and their pancake lenses are topnotch, but that's basically what you'd expect for any headset nowadays north of $1.5K and the Quest Pro has most of these features for half the price, including the "no controller" support while still able to support them.

The eye identification is neat as well, but feels like a gimmick as well.

I don't know who's Apple targeting with this, TBH. The "eye cam" on the front is such a waste and a big fat gimmick I can't even believe they approved that in the R&D cost.

I can also see light bleed from the head-gasket already and having to pay 3 digit figures for a better head-gasket is just hilarious to me. And it doesn't seem to have space for glasses either, so good luck getting cheap optical lenses for this thing without paying a fortune.

I can't wait for Valve to show these newbs how it's done.

Regards.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was expecting more from this at the rumoured price.

These goggles read good on paper, just not $3.5K good.
The problem is that, unlike their competition, they not only needed a top-spec headset but also the equivalent of an entire Mac to power it. Otherwise, it might cost like $1k less.

I can't wait for Valve to show these newbs how it's done.
Last I heard, Valve doesn't have AR - only VR. I'm pretty sure Apple's AR will be top-notch, also.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Really? What's your reasoning?

I'm not disagreeing (yet), as I don't know any more about it than what the article said.

If they weren't already hard at work on future versions, then I don't think they'd bother launching it. From what I've heard, they have reasonable expectations for how this generation will do, and it's important to get hardware into the hands of more developers and early adopters, if you want to grow the ecosystem.

So, no. I don't expect they'll get cold feet, just because sales of this product are lackluster. Maybe if they still haven't gotten traction by 3rd gen, they'll pull a "Hololens" and cut their losses.
I don't see it doing anything that cannot be achieved with other goggles, for a $4000 AR/VR does it even come with OLED lenses? 2hours of battery life, sounds horrible. And don't get me started with the uninspired design, they pretty much took a a pair of Salomon ski goggles and called it a day.
It also lacks identity, what is it really? A gimmick for professionals or a gaming device? Is it something for Apple owners to flex with?

newtechldtech

Prominent
Sep 21, 2022
An external display will show your eyes so that people can recognize if you're immersed in VR or not

Well , It is more than that ... it is for human interaction when facing a person , it is a good idea to see the eyes of the person you are interacting with. being two people wearing the headset , or the other way.

facial communication .

Reactions: bit_user

newtechldtech

Prominent
Sep 21, 2022
I don't see it doing anything that cannot be achieved with other goggles, for a $4000 AR/VR does it even come with OLED lenses? 2hours of battery life, sounds horrible. And don't get me started with the uninspired design, they pretty much took a a pair of Salomon ski goggles and called it a day.
It also lacks identity, what is it really? A gimmick for professionals or a gaming device? Is it something for Apple owners to flex with?

For sure it is not a "gaming" device at this price ... give it some time and you will see tons of scientific apps for this gem. Medical and educational ..

The problem is that, unlike their competition, they not only needed a top-spec headset but also the equivalent of an entire Mac to power it. Otherwise, it might cost like $1k less.

Last I heard, Valve doesn't have AR - only VR. I'm pretty sure Apple's AR will be top-notch, also.
On paper, the Valve Index is a VR headset, but Valve actually intended to use it for AR as well. The two front-facing cameras are quite good. I've mentioned this previously, but the only reason the Index is not XR is because Valve never officially developed anything for the front cameras.

I has full 3D pass-through with depth in it, which is more than other headsets released earlier and after can say.

The only problem with the Index in today's world is the quality of the front cameras: they're not high def enough to be used fully for AR duty, but the are there and you can use them for AR if you want to develop it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictAwtppv9Y

So, if you want to be pedantic, Valve already put an XR headset in 2018, but with zero support.

Regards.

Reactions: atomicWAR

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
For sure it is not a "gaming" device at this price ... give it some time and you will see tons of scientific apps for this gem. Medical and educational ..
well we hope not but 3.5k is probably only one or two generations away for nvidia so maybe apple's just ahead of the curve.... I'm curious to see if it gets modest popularity. Needs a killer app that differentiates it from other less expensive vr headsets.

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
No controllers? That's a big NO for me. The controllers are my physical connection to reality. I'm not giving those up without a fight.

The other big problem with VR in general is simple paranoia. Right? The inability to detect sounds or presences while you've got the headset on! Give me a good motion/sound detector that will instantly alert me to anything funky going on in the room/house around me and I'd snap it up with a quickness. With my VR headset on I'm just flat out deaf and blind. That irks me.

Still, the only reason I use my VR is for exercise. It's good for that! I get my cardio in.

Last but not least, If I can't wear my regular glasses without extra hardware and extra expenses then your designers have failed. I can wear them just fine in all three of my current headsets.
Curious what hardware and games/software you're using for exercise. Also curious how you deal with sweat on the headset. I've played one of the boxing games on my Quest 2 and was exhausted after three rounds, so I found it was an excellent workout, but the sweat on the headset became an issue.

Reactions: bit_user
Curious what hardware and games/software you're using for exercise. Also curious how you deal with sweat on the headset. I've played one of the boxing games on my Quest 2 and was exhausted after three rounds, so I found it was an excellent workout, but the sweat on the headset became an issue.
I can't speak on their behalf, but I can tell you I've spent over 8 hours in Beat Saber playing Expert+ songs.

EDIT2: I use a silicone cover for the face-gasket and cycling gloves for the controllers. I also use straps that are washable for the trackers (which reminds me: does the Apple thing will support them at all???) as I use full body tracking for all VR games. I also wear shorts and t-shirts for sweating (like running gear) on a cushioned mat so I can mode around vigorously.

EDIT:

Regards.

Last edited: