Apple Signs Exclusive Deal for Liquidmetal Alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
duh its owned by apple. they are obviously the ones going to make the t-1000 since they are the evil company. the t-1000 will start out by being the apple enforcer, but soon it will turn on them and all humankind. lol

G

Vitreloy has been around for years - also it's not liquid (at room temperature) - so really what's newsworthy here? Just another shallow Apple story that is made to sound like a big deal when it really isn't.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
John Connor: So this other guy: he's an Apple like you, right?
The Apple: Not like me. A T-1000, advanced prototype.
John Connor: You mean more advanced than you are?
The Apple: Yes. A mimetic poly-alloy.
John Connor: What the hell does that mean?
The Apple: Liquid metal.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
IBM 'evil genius' super computer: "I want you to go back in time and kill John Conner"

iT-1000: "I'm sorry, I may only go back to the 3 time periods, and target the two people, specified by my system designer"

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Thgis is one of hundreds of metals that already exist that are stupidly hard, my Dad used to work in a company that made valves for the oil industry and Titanium was the sioftest metal they used. They have people in the lab all the time experimenting with differant mixtures - a bit of nickle here - a bit of tungsten there - a touch of cobalt for fun - etc etc.

So Apple has an exclusivity deal with a company that has 1 metal with a catchy name - fine. If it's such a big deal then maybe HP, Dell or Sony can have a word with Tyco about using one of the metal used to pump nerve gas.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
* With approximately 2.5 times the strength of commonly used titanium alloy and 1.5 times the hardness of commonly used stainless steel, Liquidmetal alloys enable sophisticated, engineered designs required by the evolution of new technologies
* Enables thinner, smaller designs while providing greater protection for internal components
* Permits thinner walls while providing greater strength
* Allows larger, wider screens for expanded features and capabilities
* With precision net-shape casting, Liquidmetal alloys can be readily fashioned into intricate, innovative designs resulting in a unique aesthetic advantage
* Excellent durability
* Scratch and corrosion resistant
* Non-reactive

All of that boils down to "strong as titanium and corrosion resistant like stainless steel." All the rest of the description means the same thing.

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]... but will it blend? (or will it turn to liquid metal)[/citation]

If blends, than its blended.
If it turns to liquid metal...Would it not still be considered blended?

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Why do they call it liquid metal? Any metal is liquid if the temperature is high enough, and like the previous comment stated, it's not liquid at room temperature. (Unless your "room" is on the sun, or Mercury, perhaps").

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
What different materials do this alloy consist of?
How heavy is the metal? There are many extremely hard metals out there (titanium family, uranium etc.), but they are also extremely heavy.
And some of them poisonous.

I want a phone with a osmium (about twice the mass of lead) shell, and sapphire screen. I'd guess you could get the screen for ~100 (if mass produced), though the metal shell would cost several thousand dollars. Then again, it may be bullet proof. Iridium would be about 1/10 the price, and tungsten would actually be affordable.
My current phone feels too light anyways.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This should NOT be allowed. Apple has the tendency to hold back innovation despite some of their innovative products. They will use it at THEIR discretion which is complete and utter bullsh!t.

Status
Not open for further replies.