Apple Spent $3.4 Billion on Research in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
A company that just recycles others tech and packages it up in shiny cases doesnt need to spend much on R+D I guess.

[citation][nom]gregor[/nom]A company that just recycles others tech and packages it up in shiny cases doesnt need to spend much on R+D I guess.[/citation]

Pretty much. Microsoft spends around $10Bn per year on R&D or more. IBM probably spends more than that.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
"This is compared to $2.4 billion in 2012, and just $1.8 billion the year before, in 2010."

Sound like it should be 2011

Anyway, Samsung is building a 385k sqft R&D center near Google. Competition is always great.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
and the best they could come up with is a mini iPad (for light flow days) and a new dock connector to milk the sheep out of more money for adapters?

G

Probably the 'glued to the case' batteries and the iOS 6 Maps are not included in those money. Oh, but the innovations...

grit5

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
The results I see are A6/6X, Retna Display laptops, and using "Fusion" hard drives in the latest iMac. Seems like decent enough work from R&D

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]grit5[/nom]The results I see are A6/6X, Retna Display laptops, and using "Fusion" hard drives in the latest iMac. Seems like decent enough work from R&D[/citation]

Apple does not design nor make the display or the the hard drive; just the custom design of the A6 seems tho be their own. Prob mostly to insure they can include some mechanism for the OS to be working only on the Apple chips and therefore keeping the clone makers away.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]clubsaucekiller[/nom]Microsoft spends $10 billion and comes out with... what? Surface? Apple is getting a lot more done with a lot less.[/citation]Really? How about Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 (flat out BETTER than iPhone, save for the sparse ecosystem), just to name a couple? Microsoft is not a hardware company and you list the FIRST computer they have ever built as the only product of their research?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]grit5[/nom]The results I see are A6/6X, Retna Display laptops, and using "Fusion" hard drives in the latest iMac. Seems like decent enough work from R&D[/citation]
You are right on the A6/X that is an in-house item (their first in-house CPU BTW) now the display and the fusion drives didn't take that much R&D since they didn't do it. Those things were researched and created by others all Apple did was tell the makers what they wanted and let them do the work, doesn't seem like much R&D there really.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]That's one billion these ba$tards forced out of Samsung![/citation]
Perhaps if they actually get the money (though I suspect, in the end, they will not), they can use it to try to make their phones more competitive on the open market, rather than having to rely on attempts to compete via litigation...

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
R&D Dept: "Well the results are in and we have had a breakthrough. You see we are going to make the same device bigger than this one but smaller than that one. It's revolutionay."

Tim Cook: "By golly that is amazing. This will change everything. We have to do more though."

R&D Dept: "I think with more funding we might be able to come up with several more colors."

Tim Cook: "Unbelievable. This will remake the world as we know it. Make it happen."

...meanwhile...

Steve Jobs: "You know if you sent me a new pancreas this shat wouldn't be happening"

Jesus: "I know, I know. I should have yanked it out of Cook. I really thought the liver would have bought you enough time."

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

A6 is not a much changed design. The gains come from die shrink and manufacturing improvments which take place at the 3rd party foundry. Retina displays are not designed or manufactured by Apple at all. Samsung and other do this. Hybrid drives were designed by Seagate and others years ago and the software behind them has existed in Linux and Microsoft OSes for years.

What did they do with the other $2.4 billion of the $2.4 billion?

grit5

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]A6 is not a much changed design. The gains come from die shrink and manufacturing improvments which take place at the 3rd party foundry. Retina displays are not designed or manufactured by Apple at all. Samsung and other do this. Hybrid drives were designed by Seagate and others years ago and the software behind them has existed in Linux and Microsoft OSes for years.What did they do with the other $2.4 billion of the $2.4 billion?[/citation]

Not quite the same as a hybrid drive though. The SSD portion is not for Cache, its actual storage

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Guys, it's all about the SOFTWARE. There are tax rules about when software-generating activity is considered an expense, and when it is a depreciable capital investment. It depends on the product cycle, the existence of a "working prototype" and various other factors. Apple publishes iOS, OS/X, iTunes, Apple Maps (it may suck; but the developers still get paid), and a host of other device SW. Not to mention the SW for their web sites (iStore, Maps, etc.) and other systems.

So depending on what state all of this software was in during a given tax year, that determines how much is considered research, vs. how much is considered something else.

That said, I think a more appropriate image than Dr. (though Apple certainly is) Evil might be something like Ebenezer Scrooge (or Scrooge McDuck perhaps). Given their profitability, they are not reinvesting as much as I would have expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS