Apple Sues Canadian School for Similar Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I believe the story is misleading. Apple Corp sued Apple Computers because Apple Computers was infringing on the name Apple (and yes, also used an apple as the company trademark). Just like I couldn't call my garbage business Microsoft Garbage (this is infringing not only on the Microsoft trademark, but business strategy as well).

Here, Apple Inc. is suing VSBT simply because both use an Apple for identification (if I'm not mistaken, Nature(TM) Inc. created the apple). I'm pretty sure this will get thrown out. Apple itself argued that it's icon was different from Apple Corps. because it had a "bite mark" in it. Since VSBT doesn't have a bite mark, and involves different coloring and a different general apple shape, I don't think Apple has a leg to stand on. Also, anyone remember when Apple's logo was a multi-colored apple? If VSBT had the "stylized" apple before Apple Inc., that's obviously prior art (not that I know this is the case).

nishiki

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
If i was the Judge, id refuse to ''listen'' this case and the reason given would be...stupid and useless case, no time to waste for childish stupidity like that....end of story. And if possible i would ask some $$$ to apple because they have annoyed the Justice system with it.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Apple sues United States government for growing similar fruits that look like it's logo,called the exact same as their company name,apple.

Apple is suing for 20 billion dollars.

G

Apple Inc. sues Fiona Apple for her surname, Gwyneth Paltrow for her daughters name and then God and then anyone who uses the word apple on their products. Watch your back Sara Lee!

G

apple has a girl lawyer its prob just her time of the month

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
WOW that just makes me mad suing school for their logo??? They are not even in the same bussiness, even though schools are not a bussiness but rhater a key to knowledge. What apple is doing is ridiculous, they are going to take away money from school that are uses this money to educate children ? or is it apple's new strategy they want everyone to be dumb and just buy their products blindly??? seriously WTF APPLE ???

That is just sad. Now it makes me wish Cisco would have never agreed(after some legal fighting) to let apple use iPhone(Cisco's Internet Phone :)) as a name since the company deserves NOTHING.

Ohh and the "Apple" is not even the same shape. Guess I better watch out, Apple will be sueing me next for my iNuke sig image.

inukexz9.png

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
What could possibly be the point of this lawsuit. If for nothing else but publicity why would you even WANT to sue a school. Seems a little ironic considering alot of students go mac instead of pc.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Why is everyone so surprised? Apple does not seem like a good citizen in the Cyber world....

iTunes: Huge on DRM and making their songs non-playable elsewhere.
Jobs claims he does nto like DRM, but takes no action to be DRM free like other sites.

iPhone: Non-Replaceable battery to force people to buy new phones before the old ones break. FirmWare to allow the wiping off software from the device Apple does not approve of? Trying to restrict software to the AppleStore and only allow what they want there? OS: Coding it to specifically fail on machines w/o the Apple BIOS so they can overcharge for Hardware for the honor of running their OS? Trying to Wipe Apple Forum Posts when users report issues with their systems?

I may not like Microsoft, but I certainly don't view Apple as a White night fighting an evil empire. They are simply two companies out to make every penny they can. It's capitalism. No more and no less.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's now official, not only do I hate itunes I now hate apple. What a lame move by this mega corporation against a tiny college in Canada. The college is probably going to have to step down because they can't afford to fight the lawsuit.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
To sue a school for this is disgusting. The apple does not have bite taken out of it, is colored, has the school's NAME on it, and is even a different shape of an apple! For this among many things I will NEVER buy an Apple product ever again. F*** you Apple!

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I completely agree with you The_Blood_Raven, and support your decision to the fullest.

I as well will never buy an apple product in my life, even if the competitors product is uglier, technologically inferior, crapier in every way and more expensive. I already felt this way, this just provokes me further to disgust this corporation of filth even more so.

Their probably just trying to cope up with some cash from being sued for false advertisement for the iphone 3g...

For people who support the school, a little thing they set up as a vote :)

http://www.schoolvictoria.com/index.htm

G

why would you sue a school?

the school logo has colors in it

its whole apple, not bitten

and it looks wider

cmon apple wow you are going below belt with this one......to sue school to get moneyz....tsk tsk!

wahdangun

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
yeah, i will never ever ever ever... ever buy any apple product. let's all boicot apple product.

and i hope apple get sued by apple corp. again

estreetguy

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The Apple Inc. logo has a bite taken out of it for a reason - Because Jobs is a greedy pos that had to have a piece. FU Apple.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Way to go to try to freshen up your image Apple... I never bought an Apple product, and let me second others here by saying this confirms my decision never to.

Here's a scoop on the next Apple product: the iSue!

G

Wow you know when a company has too much money and too much free time when.

G

**** you Apple. i hope the crumbling economy leaves your company in the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS