Apple Trademarks 'iPad Mini' in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

von32

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Not sure why this is news anyone anywhere would really care about.[/citation]

They're foreshadowing how apple is going to sue everyone that has "mini" in a product name.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
the iPad is already too small for me, yet another reason why I wouldn't have bought it. The iPad Mini, though? Pffft. OK, they can have this patent. IDC. The rest of the patents for the most part are kinda just stupid.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
First thing is, this is not a patent, it is a Trademark. Every single company files theses on a daily basis to cover their investments...

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]von32[/nom]They're foreshadowing how apple is going to sue everyone that has "mini" in a product name.[/citation]
wonder did mr.bean patent his mini austin......

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Trademark example:
It is ok to call you product iPad mini as long as it doesn't fulfill any said "functions". If one made a compact personal hygiene product and named it iPad mini that would be an acceptable use of the name as it is not in direct competition and it won't confuse customers.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Kensingtron[/nom]Trademark example:It is ok to call you product iPad mini as long as it doesn't fulfill any said "functions". If one made a compact personal hygiene product and named it iPad mini that would be an acceptable use of the name as it is not in direct competition and it won't confuse customers.[/citation]

Apple doesn't really care... They do sue market chains around the world just for having a Apple symbol, even though it doesn't look anything like Apple's.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Not sure why this is news anyone anywhere would really care about.[/citation]

Here is a tip, if you see an article written by Zak Islam, close the tab.

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
This is a tech news site not Amazon....

Apple said the iPad Mini is a "handheld mobile digital electronic device comprising a tablet computer, electronic book and periodical reader, digital audio and video player, camera, electronic personal organizer, personal digital assistant, electronic calendar, and mapping and global positioning system (GPS) device, and capable of providing access to the Internet and sending, receiving, and storing messages and other data."

That is nothing more than lazy reporting / advertising. I dont mind apple news as long as its news.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]the iPad is already too small for me, yet another reason why I wouldn't have bought it. The iPad Mini, though? Pffft. OK, they can have this patent. IDC. The rest of the patents for the most part are kinda just stupid.[/citation]

This is not a patent, its a trademark.

phil_livesey

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]First thing is, this is not a patent, it is a Trademark. Every single company files theses on a daily basis to cover their investments...[/citation]
Do you know they patented the layout of the stairs in their shops? hahaha

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]I would trade not being able to post links of any kind in the comments for the spam to be blocked [for doing so]...[/citation]
If they could block the SPAM and the ads (ie, CDW) I'd pay a little bit to subscribe. Really.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
iPad Mini is a failure. The pricing is wrong. The specs are wrong. The size is wrong. If you're going to get an iPad Mini, I would just spring for the iPad. There is no point of owning an iPad Mini. Plus there will probably be an iPad Mini 2 with retina display and faster CPU on the market soon. That's how Apple gets you. They release inferior products, then just when everyone is happy about their purchase, they release a slightly better product just a few months later. It's genius. They've been doing for years since the launch of the very first iPod. Why didn't I think of that?

^ and thank god that very first ipod is history... people thought it worked just like in the snazzy tv commercials... I constantly was telling people, no, no, no, that's marketing... it has moving parts in it... you can't be doing that and expect it to work after a week. I must have taught thousands of people how to get into maintenance mode to try to fix the thing.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I don't understand why Apple hasn't released premium fragrances for their sheep... err men and women.[/citation]
Well, they have released a self-replicating pheromone that turns many into isheep. Odorless, colorlessn it can be quite effective.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"They've been doing for years since the launch of the very first iPod. " ... "they release a slightly better product just a few months later."

The first iPod was released on 10/23/01 -- so with their practice of a slight upgrade every "few months", then we must be on around generation 40 or so. Wait we aren't??

iPod Classic; seven models with release dates spanning six years... about one per year.
iPod Mini; two versions released over a year apart
iPod Nano; seven versions spanning seven years
iPod Shuffle; four versions over 5+ years
iPod Touch; five versions spanning 5 years

Seems fairly consistent at about one per year. Even if you take all five versions of the iPod [that are very to vastly different from each other], that is 25 models in 10 years, still a long way from 'every few months'. Though if you felt slighted that you bought a Gen4 IPod shuffle on release and just eight days later there was a shiny new iPod Touch Gen4 available, I think you might be a bit of a loon anyways.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Just to add the other product lines--

iPhone 6 releases in 5+ years
AppleTV 3 releases in 5+ years

Except for the most recent iPad, they had been on a one-per-year schedule.

halcyon

Splendid
Can you imagine that with iOS 7 they stop with the forced grid of icons and allow some customization and widgets (they could call it iOS Pro)? While that wouldn't be good for Android it would be good. A device with a 5" 21:9 retina and a processor 2x faster than the current? They could call it the iPhone Pro.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Can you imagine that with iOS 7 they stop with the forced grid of icons and allow some customization and widgets (they could call it iOS Pro)? While that wouldn't be good for Android it would be good. A device with a 5" 21:9 retina and a processor 2x faster than the current? They could call it the iPhone Pro.[/citation]
Although it would be great, historically Apple isn't a fan of UI customization.

Status
Not open for further replies.