Apple U.S. Smartphone Sales Surpasses 50% For First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Gotta agree with that dude... Apples not only the king of user interaction anymore, but they're also the king of performance and build quality, a company that can pull off all 3 factors that make a phone great deserve the praise they receive.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Up until the iphone 5 i would have agreed with apple having a good build quality but ive played with my sisters and it just feels so flimsy might be because im not used to phones being as light as it is though

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
"Out of the consumers who purchased an iPhone in November, 27 percent upgraded from another smartphone platform."

There is a mistake in this sentence, it should read "downgraded".

G

clubsaucekiller 01/09/2013 9:00 AM
Hide
-1+

Good to see the free market deciding that the superior device gets superior sales.

That has got to be the dumbest comment I have seen in awhile. Since when do sales represent quality? National Enquirer sells a lot and yet is nothing but trash.

G

Listen up isheep...apple is 16% in market share worldwide and shrinking! The market has spoken...ANDROID IS SUPERIOR!

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Zak islam is always good at bringing out the sheep....bah bah baaaah...[/citation]
Dirty Deeds, Done With Sheep.....BAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I am shocked at how much growth they had given how HORRIBLE of press they got for iPhone5 issues, complaints and the new iOS fiasco and their new "map" app that failed miserably. Its like, backwards of what you would normally expect.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
LOL, Zack before you publish nonsense like: "Apple U.S. Smartphone Sales Surpasses 50% For First Time" you should check your source.

Kantar Worldpanel ComTech data is based on representative panel of 20000 consumers. From those only 10% actually bought a phone. [1] The rest of them only expressed intent to buy one. In other words Kantar is trying to predict future sales instead of the actual sales. There are other market studies that are counting actual sales and all of them are in sharp contrast with Kantar's data. Why?! It is difficult to tell and to identify a single factor, but I'm suspecting that iPhone has become generic term for smartphone in USA. As result when you ask someone, who is non-tech, what phone they like to buy they say 'iPhone', but when they actually go to the store to buy one they see better phones from Samsung and after some push by carrier representative they buy different phone.

[1] http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-smartphone-market-share-2013-1

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
That makes a bit more sense SAL-e
Also, the math in the article doesnt add up from the previous quarter.
Sales ending in Oct had iPhone at 48.1%, and Droid dropped 10.9% from previous quarter, which means it was at 52.8%.
iPhone share of 48.1% + Droid share of 52.8% = 100.9%? This ignores the windows phone market and any other OS too.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]ClubbySauceOnRye[/nom]clubsaucekiller 01/09/2013 9:00 AMHide-1+Good to see the free market deciding that the superior device gets superior sales.That has got to be the dumbest comment I have seen in awhile. Since when do sales represent quality? National Enquirer sells a lot and yet is nothing but trash.[/citation]

He didn't say that sales represent quality. He just said that it's good to see sales are matching the quality. Your comment was probably the dumbest comment i've seen in a while.

Edit: to all the haters, I don't actually own any Apple products. Windows for PC and Android for phone. But idiots have to be straightened out every now and then, no matter which camp they come from.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Disregarding the question which platform is better, it's good to see that US citizens are supporting their economy at least. Personally, I wouldn't buy an Apple product.

[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]He didn't say that sales represent quality. He just said that it's good to see sales are matching the quality. Your comment was probably the dumbest comment i've seen in a while.[/citation]
You mean, iPhone is only 50% good? You nailed that one.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
"Good to see the free market deciding that the superior device gets superior sales."

You're joking right? What "Free Market"?

Apple tends to win most of its cases within the USA and lose most of them outside the USA. Why is that I wonder?

Why is it that Government agencies are switching all of their staff to Apple devices rather than Dell, HP or Blackberry?

Protectionism. Apple is about protectionism and succeeds predominantly due to protectionism found in the concept of "Intellectual Property" enforced by the State.

There is nothing "free" about the American Crony Capitalist system.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Not this same story around poor measurements and representation of numbers... Apple's iOS in phone market share is just a hair under 20%. It is nowhere near 50%. New handset sales does not mean phone market share, and choosing a sales window that overlaps with new hardware debut (iPhone 5) is even more absurd to represent actual market share.

And what about the people who were already using an iOS device and updated to iPhone 5? That's not market share growth.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Well, although I contributed to this number somewhat, I had zero overall effect. My 12-yr. old daughter received an iPhone 4 for Christmas (Her first phone) while her 17-yr. sister went from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Note 2. BTW, the 17-yr. old says the Note 2 is a much better device overall and Android is almost there in terms of being as polished as iOS but it blows it away in the customization dept. So I added an iOS user and converted an iOS user to an Android user.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Saw Kantar... immediately laughed at this "Report". These guys are big shareholders of Apple and even though their reports greatly contrast with Comscore they still send em out in hopes of trying to push the stock up.

jkendt1989

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Did $AAPL buy out this website?

Zak reminds me of a man who is in the desert with a water bottle that is almost empty. He shakes and bangs it to get the last few drops of water out of the bottle. And that is what this is, $AAPL is running dry and they are trying to get every last ounce of water (positive news) out of it before the inevitable... It runs dry...

Zak these articles beg to differ:

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-q4-sales-profit-145469/
http://www.androidauthority.com/consumer-reports-android-iphone-145310/

Why weren't these posted?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Oh FFS, I was willing to believe this article. But now that people, who are more deserving of Zak's job, have posted the original source and other articles.

I can see this is just another Zak spin job about Apple.

I feel like I'm watching Fox News when I read this bad of spin.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Disregarding the question which platform is better, it's good to see that US citizens are supporting their economy at least. Personally, I wouldn't buy an Apple product.[/citation]

How is buying Apple supporting the American economy? If anything buying Samsung does that, Samsung has a fab plant IN THE USA!

Apple has.... it's HQ full of hipsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.