Apple Uses Intel's Nehalem Die Shot in A5 CPU Slide

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I think you'll find Apple designed Nehalem, and are currently pursuing intel in the courts for copyright infringement on the 'look and feel' of their chip.

shades_aus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Apple said about copying Intel - "They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

So answer me this then. Why are they suing Samsung and trying to prevent them from launching products that resemble their own??

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Wow... That was a blatant copy-paste. Look closely:

WOx7J.png

Sorry if I got the perspective wrong, I'm not very good with Gimp.

Mess with the hue a little, reduce saturation, etc., and I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. And yeah, poor, "poor" Samsung...

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Anand of AnandTech gets some serious nerd cred for recognizing a die shot.

Next in news. Apple, after patenting the "look and feel" of a computer chip, sues everybody.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Figures you guys would go there. If they did use a die layout from Intel it was probably given to them or assisted by Intel. Their relationship with Intel is extremely deep to the point where they influence Intel's products in many cases. They are truly partners.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]spiketheaardvark[/nom]Anand of AnandTech gets some serious nerd cred for recognizing a die shot.Next in news. Apple, after patenting the "look and feel" of a computer chip, sues everybody.[/citation]

Yea Anand has some serious nerd cred. The guy is nothing short of amazing with the information his site provides.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Samsung releases multiple products with a UI that's clearly copying the iOS look and feel...

Apple uses a dieshot of a nehalem CPU to makes an illustration about a CPU in one slide of a presentation...

Clearly those are very different things, grow up people, get off the hate train, and get on the common sense train

here come my down votes

retrophe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Samsung releases multiple products with a UI that's clearly copying the iOS look and feel...Apple uses a dieshot of a nehalem CPU to makes an illustration about a CPU in one slide of a presentation...Clearly those are very different things, grow up people, get off the hate train, and get on the common sense trainhere come my down votes[/citation]

Yeah and Apple Photoshopping pics of Samsung products to resemble Apple products for court was an "accident" too . . .

Your train just derailed fool.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
If Apple was selling CPUs (desktop CPUs in this case), then it would've been a no-no. But given the fact that Apple is Intel's top client ever since they've switched from PowerPC... I guess they're cool with it. If anything, this is free Intel advertising.

jaksikaks

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]I think you'll find Apple designed Nehalem, and are currently pursuing intel in the courts for copyright infringement on the 'look and feel' of their chip.[/citation]

Nice :-D I had a good laugh.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Apple is known for copying/stealing designs. Steve Jobs even said in 1996 "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal".

The iPad was a merge of technology from "1968 Stanley Kubrick film 2001: A Space Odyssey", "Knight-Ridder" tablet newspaper from 1994, concept/prototypes from Star Trek, Microsoft tablet PC. It was hardly original.

The hardware just finally caught up to make it an affordable reality. LCD replacing CRT made a huge impact on the price of screens. India has a ~$49 tablet.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Retrophe[/nom]Yeah and Apple Photoshopping pics of Samsung products to resemble Apple products for court was an "accident" too . . .Your train just derailed fool.[/citation]

but samsung selling custom UI's that are a clear ripoff of iOS is ok? double standards much?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Samsung releases multiple products with a UI that's clearly copying the iOS look and feel...Apple uses a dieshot of a nehalem CPU to makes an illustration about a CPU in one slide of a presentation...Clearly those are very different things, grow up people, get off the hate train, and get on the common sense trainhere come my down votes[/citation]
1. the samsung photos were photoshopped

2. the presentation was about the design of the A5. The die shot was of an A5, which is clearly the same as the nehalem die. this wasnt an example of a cpu, it was the actual cpu, and is one of the reasons most of us here hate apple. They sue everyone for "stealing ideas", and then they do this and claim its apple designed.

halcyon

Splendid
I thought all of these companies stole from each other. We know Apple and Samsung do it. For this example, though, did Apple say the Intel die shot was their own? They apparently wanted a photo of a CPU die, and may have even asked Intel's permission to use it (doubtful, but who knows?).

Yes, it would have been better for them to get a photo of the A5 dieshot. They didn't, it got noticed, and now they've stolen something else...a photo of an Intel CPU. Tsk tsk, but kind of trivial. We know Apple's lawyers would be at the ready if someone else did this to them. Who knows if they'd actually be unleashed.

Once again, Apple seems to have done something to earn further hatred from those that really need no reason to hate them. Apple is indeed sue-happy and that's annoying, but it seems to be the new industry fad. It'd be funny if Intel tried to sue them for using their photo during an A5 slideshow. ...but I suspect Intel doesn't have time to be bothered with such. Bravo for Intel.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I thought all of these companies stole from each other. We know Apple and Samsung do it. For this example, though, did Apple say the Intel die shot was their own? They apparently wanted a photo of a CPU die, and may have even asked Intel's permission to use it (doubtful, but who knows?).Yes, it would have been better for them to get a photo of the A5 dieshot. They didn't, it got noticed, and now they've stolen something else...a photo of an Intel CPU. Tsk tsk, but kind of trivial. We know Apple's lawyers would be at the ready if someone else did this to them. Who knows if they'd actually be unleashed.Once again, Apple seems to have done something to earn further hatred from those that really need no reason to hate them. Apple is indeed sue-happy and that's annoying, but it seems to be the new industry fad. It'd be funny if Intel tried to sue them for using their photo during an A5 slideshow. ...but I suspect Intel doesn't have time to be bothered with such. Bravo for Intel.[/citation]
because apple claims the A5 is their design, and the video was a clear presentation of the A5 die. Why would they ask intel for a die that doesnt resemble the cpu they are showing off. That was the a5.

G

Yep, as I was watching, I was like wait..... thats my 1st Gen i7 they are showing a picture of... wait what? Apple, reuse of stock photos is not cool!

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]because apple claims the A5 is their design, and the video was a clear presentation of the A5 die. Why would they ask intel for a die that doesnt resemble the cpu they are showing off. That was the a5.[/citation]

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The die pictured is the intel die. Here is a link to the actual die picture of an A5 http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/technology-blog/2011/03/apple-a5-vs-a4-floorplan-comparison/ They have no similarities other than the fact they were made on silicon. Hurry along now, the short bus back to Apple headquarters is waiting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.