Apple Wants to Get Rid of Motherboard Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
"The advantages of the invention are numerous" encompasses anything and everything. You just wait... Someone's going to slip up and apple's going to cite this.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]"The advantages of the invention are numerous" encompasses anything and everything. You just wait... Someone's going to slip up and apple's going to cite this.[/citation]
well they just filed the patent, its gonna be years befor etheyre actually granted it. it's a good idea nonetheless, apple is good at brining innovation to the table, even though its at a very high price

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
well they just filed the patent, its gonna be years before theyre actually granted it. it's a good idea nonetheless, apple is good at brining innovation to the table, even though its at a very high price

It's Apple, so the Patent Office is just waiting to rush it through. Never mind that these flexible boards exist today- and they can be off to sue people who think up flexible e-reader displays without a hiccup.

Now that that's out of the way:

It's a good idea. I hate having to buy new screens when the flexible cable breaks on an iPod touch while you're trying to fix it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]flex connectors has been existing for a long time. even my old calculator had flex connectors.[/citation]
Doesn't matter, it could be 40 years ago, if Apple patents it first then the 100 billion calculators sold in that time don't count - that's how the law has been twisted.

G

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Doesn't matter, it could be 40 years ago, if Apple patents it first then the 100 billion calculators sold in that time don't count - that's how the law has been twisted.[/citation]

Are the newer style SLI/Crossfire connectors considered a flexible circuit board?

ram1009

Distinguished
Nothing new here. Flexible circuit boards are old news. Using one in a computer, maybe not. Possible advantage would be greater bandwith and higher frequency. Also higher cost.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I've seen flexible circuit boards used to connect screens and drives in laptops. They connect the scanner on my printer to the rest of the unit, they are frickin everywhere. And multi-plane circuit boards? I'm not sure how a plane differs from a layer, and there are multi-layer boards all over the place (16+ layers). So what exactly did apple patent here, the wheel?

t_wilson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
So they want the circuit board to be a moving part, which means it will be a breakable part. Is a patent really needed for this? To have a computer with no internal wires, they would just need to integrate all the components to the board.

These companies now days churning out one ridiculous patent after another just to keep the patent trolling wheel rolling.

starzty

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I just hope they aren't as hard to manage as the low profile foxconn connectors in the old Powerbooks. I remember trying to line them up and then screw together the case as fast as possible since they were held on by the pressure of the casing.

G

This is apple we are talking about, they obviously invented the wheel. Any use of the wheel before they existed are mere fairy tales.

The technology in the patent has been in use for at least 30 years in modern electronics.

G

So what exactly did apple patent here, the wheel?....
flexcables are long been used, but this patent seems to do with no extra connectors,looks like the copper layer and the board material are the connectors,and can be interconnected without the need of a separate connector.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
So they want to patent the idea of using flexible copper wiring within a flexible PCB? Where's the flexible PCB, or at least its proof of concept? Oh! Silly me... They don't need either one to get a patent for the use of something that may or may not exist. All they need to prove is they have an idea on how to implement it.

Jeez our patent system is broken.

G

Hmm the instrument cluster of my 1969 Mustang had a flexible circuit board on the back of it. It amazes me Apple gets away with this stuff

Its not the flexible cable but the flexible board that Apple is patenting. But as has been previously stated the flexible board which you can mount components on has been around for years. Nothing new here.

Status
Not open for further replies.