Apple Was the Top Purchaser of Semiconductors in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]I wonder what they use it on, since their kit is made by foxconn/samsung.Maybe they're just stockpiling for when they decide to make something.[/citation]
Clueless about how products are made I see. Foxconn is an assembler, nothing more. They don't make any of the components - they just put together parts that are shipped to them from Apple suppliers and to Apple specifications. Out of all the work that goes into a produc Foxconn is responsible for about 1% of it.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
This is why Samsung Semi loves Apple - they're making billions off them. Still makes me wonder what the semiconductor division thinks of the mobile division and all the lawsuits? I bet internally they're pissed.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]samsung purchases semiconductors i thought they made them ???[/citation]
I'm pretty sure Samsung Electronics and Samsung Semicondutor don't just swap parts, one has to buy the parts from the other. They are basically different businesses who just happen to be under the same corporate name.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Being an electrical engineer that works in the semiconductor industry, this makes me happy. Job security is a good thing, even if none of the semiconductors I make go into Apple products

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
iCrap-the-defrauder is probably hoarding semiconductors expecting the price to rise as it already the case when we look at the chart for SMH. One thing is sure, all that money iCrap stole from selling drm infested crappy hardware at exorbitant prices to its devoted clueless fans is being used for something, and it is not just for patent trolling. A company that makes its money stealing ideas rather than creating them would do well stockpiling rather than putting its booty to research. This is exactly what iCrap-the-defrauder is doing.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]And you are assuming that Apple is designing its hardware in the US. Dream on.[/citation]

Yes, they design their hardware in the US... We studied their design and assembly strategy in grad school last semester...

DESIGN not = to ASSEMBLE

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]iCrap-the-defrauder is probably hoarding semiconductors expecting the price to rise as it already the case when we look at the chart for SMH. One thing is sure, all that money iCrap stole from selling drm infested crappy hardware at exorbitant prices to its devoted clueless fans is being used for something, and it is not just for patent trolling. A company that makes its money stealing ideas rather than creating them would do well stockpiling rather than putting its booty to research. This is exactly what iCrap-the-defrauder is doing.[/citation]

Dude...

Did someone pee in your wheaties this AM or kick your dog? LOL

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
If I say something in favour of Apple, the anti-Apple haters come out in fat force with keystrokes and anger. If I bash Apple, i'm an Apple hater that hates on everything Apple.

In the real world, people make this notion true. In my world, not so much. Keep using garbage -- I wont.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]And you are assuming that Apple is designing its hardware in the US. Dream on.[/citation]
Another person without a clue. Apple would do all the design and testing in their facilities in Cupertino. This would include making prototypes to test features. Once they have a final design they would provide specifications to Foxconn so they can configure their assembly lines to actually put together the device. Foxconn might make circuit boards or cases, but those would be automated processes carried out by equipment and done again, according to Apple's specifications.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I'm pretty sure Samsung Electronics and Samsung Semicondutor don't just swap parts, one has to buy the parts from the other. They are basically different businesses who just happen to be under the same corporate name.[/citation]
they belong to the same guys so why not swap parts for free

Status
Not open for further replies.