Apple's $1 Billion Win Against Samsung Cut by $450 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
"Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a leech?"
"A: After you die, a leech stops sucking your blood."

Yeah.. This helps no-one. I mean, I hate Apple, but the court battles just screw over the customer.

DEVILVSANGEL00

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
After CrApple has lost 1/3 of its so called value over the last 5 months and the isheep are starting to wake up a little CrApple are gonna need every penny. (even tho it dont deseve any of this money)

I agree its pretty ridiculous It honestly feels like this is the only way Apple can stay innovative patent everything whether they own it or not and then sue those who make something similar.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Ah, if only we could use open source licenses for patents. That way, everyone can keep innovating on the ideas without misusing it or claiming it as to destroy the inventors of the ideas.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
"I knew Samsung was guilty when I saw the emails." - One Jury member.

Samsung never had a chance to win in Cali. I couldn't believe he admitted it publicly.

f-14

Distinguished
good thing i'm not samsung, i'd buy up as much apple stock in a hostile take over bid as possible and for the board member votes those shares commanded. not that apple is worth it, but if samsung got majority, they should hack and slash the competence leading apple until they could take what they wanted and sell off pieces of apple they didn't need.

it would be nice to set a road sign out for other companies trying to fight a patent war what will happen to them.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
We all know 'Steve Jobs did everything', sadly he is no longer with us meaning they need someone with brain and they haven't found him yet.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Laws are in place to protect innovation. If you don't allow and protect patents the impetus for invention is curtailed.

Companies should sue other companies that steal their inventions. I know too little about this case to say Samsung did, of course, but they probably did if they were convicted by a jury, and they should pay and like it.

It's not a perfect system, but it's better than having none at all. I think where it fails is on common sense stuff that gets patented, and that could very well apply to this case. There's too much of that. But, on real technology, where a company designs something unique, and other companies copy it, I'm all for patent protection because the company that developed it paid massive amounts of money to do so, and it's grossly unfair for a company to be a leech without compensating the originator for their costs. That's how patents are supposed to work, even though they often do not.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]We all know 'Steve Jobs did everything', sadly he is no longer with us meaning they need someone with brain and they haven't found him yet.[/citation]
Steve Jobs was good at MARKETING & hyping people up for Wozniak's actual innovations.

Wozniak should be given the credit.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Why did it take this long for toms hardware to report this. Anyway its still too much to pay for nothing. The tech patents should copy those in Automotive and we would have a much better system.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]cats_Paw[/nom]The patent office is happy with this. Means more and more companies will have to register their products, so they will still have a job.[/citation]On the contrary, these squabbles are increasingly highlighting the broken patent system. Over time they will come under fire as the world (slowly) reacts to this travesty. Patent reform and all that.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@darkavenger123: No, Apple will sue the People of the United States for creating an unfavorable judicial system to their brand of technological innovation. That way, they don't even need to make the devices; they can skip that step and just take the money directly out of our bank accounts. Much more efficient.

dragonetti

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Well the problem with this and meany patent court battles is more a problem the way and for what patents are assigned to inventor(s)/companies by the bureau of patent "WIPO" () and the way they are used these days and in this case also the judicial system in the US and the ridiculous damage compensation that are awarded in court by jury and judges.

dragonetti

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Well the problem with this and meany patent court battles is more a problem the way and for what patents are assigned to inventor(s)/companies by the bureau of patent "WIPO" () and the way they are used these days and in this case also the judicial system in the US and the ridiculous damage compensation that are awarded in court by jury and judges.

Wipo =

Status
Not open for further replies.